Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
GpsySoul

M.O.C. #22555
Classaction Suite

I am wondering if any other Montanna owners would be interested in joining a classaction suit in regard to the leaking AC units. I have a 2017 that I bought used and I have the rear ac covered in a tarp because everytime it rains water pours in . I was informed this morning that because I am the second owner that Montanna will not cover the repair, despite the fact they havebknow that this was a problem for years. Is there anyone else willing to stand up and make them take responsibility for this ****** design that is causing customers thousands of dollars, roof damage and lost time in RV. It is time for them to be forced to acknowledge the problem and stop putting a band aid on it for the price we pay for these units.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I don’t have that problem with mine but would join lawsuit over the cable slide motor leaks and associated slide roof damage!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #3
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Until there are lemon laws for trailers, poor build quality will be the buyers problem. Keystone knows this and does just enough to keep sales moving along. Over time their new reputation will catch up with them.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Until there are lemon laws for trailers, poor build quality will be the buyers problem. Keystone knows this and does just enough to keep sales moving along. Over time their new reputation will catch up with them.
There are lemon laws depending on what state you live in. Unless it's something major and in always in the shop for the same thing over and over again, it's like complaining about notebook paper not holding up in the rain. These things are built to go down the highway and may have things break, come lose, etc. It happens.

As for the AC issue, so far on my '19 3700LK we've been lucky, works like a champ (knock on wood)
Old 09-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
There is nothing new about their reputation.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Angela,

Good luck getting a group together. While there are a few posts on leaking air conditioners, that do not seem to be in the top 5 issues we see on the forum.

I definitely would not wait to get a legal action done before repairing your rig. I would fix it and then continue the fight.

Do you believe this is why the original owner sold it? If you believe they knew and did not disclose it, it might be easier to go after them.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
Old 09-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There have been several posts about how to fix that problem and it actually seems to be a bigger problem with some other brands. Dometic left extra mounting holes in the base of certain models and if the holes aren't plugged with the right sealant the sealant cracks and the holes drain into the vents. Fix is to pull the unit and seal the holes properly.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
An a/c leak - tighten it down. The installation booklet says 40 in lds on the 4 bolts. That is NOT sufficient on a rounded roof nor will it compress the gasket the recommended (approximate) 50%. If you need a new gasket, 20 bucks and an hour's time. My history with TTs and 5ers since 1976 is that all a/c units need to be snugged down after a year of travel

If you are a second owner, no RV company will warrant your towable RV. A dealer might but if purchased via a private sale - never. You will not get much tracion on a class action lawsuit for a very few leaking a/c units
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 09-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Have you tried to get this repaired?
If so who, a mobile RV repair can come to you and most seem to do a good job.
Call and ask them what they know about leaking Dometic AC and what they warrant after doing the work.
Company I used warranties parts for 30 days and labor for 90
Rate is cheaper than CW and no waiting !
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
There is nothing new about their reputation.
It has been my experience that Montanas in the early 2000's were fairly well built and had a good reputation. That was one reason I stayed with them for our 2016. I do not believe their build quality is as good today as then. In general, I find that to be consensus. Hence, what I call their new reputation. Not bad, just not as good as was.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 2006 3400 was no better no worse than this 13 3402.

The 100,000 th Montana came off the line in July of 2017. The earliest model I have seen personally was a 2001. The Montana page once had a history of the Montana but it has been gone for some time. I believe the first Montana was built in 1998/1999 and not many were built.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #12
Janet H
Site Team

M.O.C. #19422
Send a message via AIM to Janet H Send a message via MSN to Janet H
Folks we are going to close this thread as it runs afoul of our site rules regarding disputes.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ork&page=rules

If you have an issue with your rig or a product or service, please take it up with the appropriate party. Thanks for understanding.

Closed Thread

Tags
classaction lawsuit, leaking ac, montanna