Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
zechinova
Established Member

M.O.C. #8008
Fireplace

We are new to full-timing, towing and 5th wheels. We started out last Friday in MN and are now in Colorado Springs in our new to us 2002 Monty 3295RK and 2004 Dodge 3500 dually.
So far everything is working. We have been in some cold weather and because we are paying for electricity want to use the electric fireplace to offset the use of propane. My question is, by running the fireplace all night and some of the day are we going to burn it out?

zechinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You should not burn it out. We used our for two months while in Fl this winter. If it does quit it is easy to repair once you learn how to remove it. You have to remove the wooden plugs to gain access.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am not saying it s right, but this how we used our fireplace in weather when we dropped to or below freezing at night. During the day, the fireplace was on all the time and the central heat seldom came on. At night we turned the thermostat down to between 62 and 65 degrees and turned the fireplace off. The heater, again, didn't run all the time unless it was very windy. First up turns the thermostat up to 68 and the fireplace is turned on. This won't work if you demand 75 or so degrees in your coach. Then you will have to spend more money to keep it higher.

My reason for depending on the furnace at night is that I want warmth to be pumped into the underbelly to keep pipes from freezing. The fireplace will not provide any warmth in the underbelly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
If I read the post right you said you are paying for electricity meaning a meter.There was a topic on this some time ago and the bottom line was propane is cheaper than electricity.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We use our fireplace mostly when we around to see it. At night I prefer to use a portable ceramic electric heater, just because I would rather replace the portable heater than the fireplace. I have no reason to think that the fireplace would fail, but I would rather try to preserve it by using the portable heater. If you are in sub-freezing weather, then I agree with Stiles, set it up so that the propane will come on enough to prevent freezing in the underbelly.

When you say that you are paying for electricity, I am taking it that you mean that the campsite fee, includes electricity. I think it was me who did the calculation of cost of electricity vs propane. That was based on costs in the Rio Grande Valley, where propane is fairly cheap ($15 for a 30# fill) and was delivered to the campsite; and electricity was fairly costly ($0.15/kW. On that basis, it was pretty even in cost depending what efficiency you assume for the propane furnace.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We used our fireplace a lot and it did burn out. The light bulbs went first, then a knob and now a switch. You have to take the front off to change the light bulbs. Ours had 60 watt bulbs and we have decided when we get it fixed, we will switch to 40. We noticed the mantle got hot with just the lights on, no heater.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
According to the manufacturers of these units, they cost 7 cents an hour to run. That's with the flame and heater going. Not sure how true that is but it sounds good...

We run our fireplace in the Montana alot and haven't had a problem with it yet. Like anything else, it will eventually need something replaced. I figure though, it was meant to enjoy and I sure am gonna enjoy it every chance I get and not just run it on special occasions or for when we have company.

I say run it with moderation and enjoy!

We loved our electric fireplace in the "Hannah Montana" so much, that we (okay, it was me) went out and bought a beautiful freestanding electric fireplace for home. All you do is plug it in. One of the best things is that if you don't like where you put it in the house, you just move it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You better use the furnace tonight. Temps are dropping and we are supposed to wake up to 8-inches of snow tomorrow!!

The fireplace will not provide heat for your underbelly tanks. The furnace does, through a 2-inch duct the lays down in the belly. I would also fill your fresh water tank and disconnect and drain your fresh water hose or it will freeze tonight.

Enjoy the Springs!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We use our fireplace almost nonstop. When it needs to be replaced, we'll replace it. We also make sure that our propane furnace comes on regularly since we want that heat in the belly. As cold as it is here, the fireplace does not add alot of additional heat. I've decided all it does is warm the feet of whomever is sitting in the recliner with the footrest up CLOSEST to the fireplace.
You own it, use it and enjoy!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Tammy I like that kind of thinking. It worrys me to think about doing without to leave stuff to my kids LOL!!. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
BTW, furnace heat to the underbelly was not always provided. I think it was introduced around 2004. If you have an earlier model, you have no heat to the underbelly.

I am finding more and more, that it is getting hard to make general statements about the way things work in Montanas, they have changed a lot over the years and continue to evolve.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Nice info to know OntMont. Nice change they made to provide heat to the belly.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I didn't know that OntMont. Our 2003 was heated, but that might have been in the Artic Pac feature.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote