Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #21
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
been there done that... door is gone, until I find better solution.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #22
d.j.simpson

M.O.C. #27857
1. I agree about the shades. Already had to repair one and needed youtube to find out how.
2. Also, why don't they put adjustable shelves in the pantry.
3. Removed and relocated the shelf in the bedroom closet for the laundry. Cut it down, raised it up and remounted it and the clothes hanging rod to make the closet useful.
4. Purchased numerous inexpensive trays of various sizes to organize the pantry. Otherwise everything would simply bounce around while traveling. (Walmart)
d.j.simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
sf1

M.O.C. #27544
Nitpick Montana

3791 rd 4 years stickers already cracking and peeling . This is our 3rd Montana and this is always been a problem they can’t seem to fix . Seals on small slides already gummy and need replaced . Awing doesn’t cover door and you get wet when rain . Heater ducts in high traffic areas . Also could use all walls by oven with backsplash . Agree bathroom storage is a black hole should have put pull out shelf’s for easy access to back . Am doing that our selfs as well as basement storage . Bedroom dresser should have been 4 small drawers instead of 2 big ones keep breaking . Bathroom swivel door fixed to many times to count .
sf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #24
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Our next nitpick is the backsplash behind the stove and coffee bar.
I really like that they started including a window behind the stove, that is fantastic for the light it lets in.
But whoever decided that they should move away from the white subway tile from a couple of years ago to the ugliest, cheapest looking fake backsplash "tile" that they use now should be sent to the eye doctor for further testing.

Brad
I agree, that was my first change about a week after picking it up.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #25
WLA

M.O.C. #27616
2019 - 3720RL Nitpicks

1) pantry and bedroom closets have fixed shelves. Plus, the way the shelves are installed, there is no simple way to remove them to install adjustable shelf hardware.

2) in the control center, there are no labels to indicate what the switches control. I was able to figure out three of them, but the other three... Who know? I assume tank heaters, but I don't know which is which.

3) The placement of the basement part of the central vacuum, in the center of the basement wall is a huge pain in the a$$. Changing the bag, or hooking up the hose, requires unloading half of the contents just to get to it.

We love the floor plan. With a little more thought about about the end user, this could have been a grand slam...
WLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #26
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
So after the backsplash change my second peeve was the sharp corners on the overhead cabinets. Filed them down and re colored the edges.

3rd peeve: 3813 MS we have a second skylight in the back hallway, no cover makes it hard to sleep past sunrise.

4th the cable/sat hookup should have wiring so I feed a second sat receiver in the bedroom.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:17 PM   #27
bou0146
Established Member

M.O.C. #20969
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
We took off the blind... grease collector, potential fire hazard and impossible to clean. Needs back splash along side the stove too. With the blind gone, we're still figuring on what to do about privacy there.
We had a 3810MS Legacy that did not have a window behind the stove, now we have a 3930FB Legacy and it does so the blind is coming down and very dark window tint going on
bou0146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #28
LisaC3500
Established Member

M.O.C. #26336
That stupid door

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
Skull cracking door that covers the control panel for lights, slides, tank heaters, etc.
OUCH !
After ducking one too few times, I saw on this forum where someone made the door slide instead of open out. DH just installed slides on it and no more gouges in the head. It's brilliant.
2017 Ram 3500HD Laramie, 6.7 Cummins, 4x4, SRW
LisaC3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #29
Vicky
Established Member

M.O.C. #25459
I have noticed the same thing about the awning not protecting the front door.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #30
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
1.Why did they hook the Electrical outlet in the storage bins to the Switch for the light. You can't use the outlet unless the light is on.
2. My opinion is they put the Entrance door on opening the wrong way. Not sure if they sell the Left Hinged doors or not but the right hinged door seems restrictive when coming home with bags of Groceries.
3. Tank Heaters. Why not put them in all units to help prevent freeze ups. Never know when you dip to freezing overnight. Enough time to at least crystalize and cause temporary issues.
4. Water line hook-ups. Why not run a line through the Exit port of the Utility panel and seal up the hole. Then make the hook-up (something like a Small Garden hose maybe 8") inside the compartment removable from the RV connector. The small hose could drain out completely and the hook-up at the next stop would be easier. I think it would help with freeze-ups too.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #31
deb50jean
Established Member

M.O.C. #20316
1. I hated the dark cabinets, when I went to look for something I needed a flashlight. Remedy: I purchased USB cabinet lights that turn on when you open the door - awesome!
2. We have a bunkhouse with two doors - one goes into the main camper area and one into the half bath. When the fold out beds are open you can barely get into the bunkhouse area. Sliding doors would be so much better for this area - we are researching how to replace both of them.
3. Lighting above the stove is horrible - it is set towards the back of the vent and doesn't help to see when you are cooking on the front burner.
4. Why can't the oven be easier to light - I have to stand on my head with a lighter to start the thing up!
deb50jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #32
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
Nit Picks

I can live with almost everything, but I'd really like a stereo/entertainment center that sounds half way decent.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 03:39 PM   #33
Schautzie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Nit-pic problem huh? The chain pulls on the ceiling fan bounce around during travel and get wound around the blades. I’ve tried putting a little Velcro strap around both chains and tightened it up like a bolo tie up close to the light fixture - nope...that doesn’t work. Looking for solution to this “terrible” problem.
Hubby put a remote control on ours and now we have everything at our fingers. Chains were shortened, no issues!

Schautzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:01 PM   #34
Jcavasso
Established Member

M.O.C. #22779
Nit picker

Why not put the shore power on the side next to all the other connections? Our 3160 RL has three slides and two switches in the panel soooo we GET to go outside to the leveling panel and switch the dining and kitchen slides there. Pain in the
Jcavasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #35
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkwoods View Post
I agree, that was my first change about a week after picking it up.
I really like it!
Do you have a link to the tile you used? And was it stick on, or how was it adhered?

Thanks!
Brad
Old 01-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #36
dallasrules
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26856
Off center bed. The bed in our Montana has a nightstand plus extra space on the right side (at least 18"), and none on the left side. It is flush with the slide on the left with barely enough room to slide between the bed and the closet.
Also, 1/2 height closet with outside storage underneath. Therefore, there is no tall storage anywhere in the trailer for brooms and mops and such. I have to hang them on the outside of the shower where they are in the open to look at and get knocked off.
One more is that when the dining slide is in, you can't get to the back of the trailer and bathroom unless you are like a size 2.

I know this is a keystone forum, but I did want to mention that on my Forest River Cedar Creek, there is a light switch on my slide that goes to nothing. I even took it all the way out and everything still works.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #37
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
I'm with Fish, have the pivot door on the bathroom of my 3120RL. How did you fix yours for the 4th time. I'm about to replace the whole thing with a hinged door or even a sliding barn door on the outside, like I have in the bedroom.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:03 PM   #38
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
My nit picks: In our two Montana’s, the cheap ass shades. We took one to MCD and replaced them all and will take the traveling Rv to them this year when we return from Mexico. On our 3021 legacy, the majority of the light switches are in the OnCommand system.
Since this IS a Montana forum, but you did not state the brand, the nitpick on our 2018 Mobile Suites is that the finish and woodwork is beautiful but all of the corners are done well enough that they are sharp enough to rip the skin off my paper thin arms.... There is no place in the bathroom to put a toilet paper holder.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #39
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by bou0146 View Post
We had a 3810MS Legacy that did not have a window behind the stove, now we have a 3930FB Legacy and it does so the blind is coming down and very dark window tint going on
It doesn’t need to be dark, just reflective on the outside.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #40
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
Our Montana is getting pretty long in the tooth, but is in good shape and it is all we need for now.

Done lots of pretty cool mods that I should share here someday when time allows, but the one I have not done yet is moving the tank level / water heater / pump switch from the back end of the camper, literally on the back wall (rear galley) where it is impossible to get at with the slides in. What were they thinking! DW has to use the "facilities" somewhere on the road where nothing else is available and I cannot turn on the pump.

Obviously it would be an easy fix to add a momentary switch in the bathroom since the pump is 18" from the throne on the other side of a wall... just hook it up parallel, but I want to move the whole console to a more convenient wall when I get the time. Should be a couple of hour job.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote