Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #1
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hughes Autoformers

Does anyone have or purchased a Hughes Autoformer surge protector? Just saw an ad for them and wondering if anyone has had one and if they are truly what they say they are. They seem to be the #1 Surge Protector in the rankings with Progressive Industries coming in just behind them.
Any opinions on the Autoformers?
Thanks in advance for any comments Pro or Con!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Cubbie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20155
Hi Rondo, we have always used a Progressive Industries 50amp surge protector. The park we are in in Arizona has a low voltage situation on line 1 and this HOT, HOT summer caused our line 1 breaker to trip with both of our ac on. We purchased a 50 amp Hughes Autoformer and it boosts the voltage when needed to normal levels. The surge protector functions appear to work. So, bottom line for us is that the Hughes seems to be a well made product and performs as advertised. We have had it in constant use since June 2019. Hope this helps.
Art
Cubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have a 30 amp Hughes Autoformer and a 50 amp Progressive. Both work well. Both have shut down power to my campers when necessary. Both do what they say. Both are good.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I have the Hughs Autoformer https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/ and the Hughs Power Watchdog https://hughesautoformers.com/produc...ter-and-surge/

Both seem to work fine. I am only aware of a couple instances where the Autoformer boosted the voltage, but you usually don't know. No issues yet that the Power Watch Dog had to resolve except the time I did not get both AC legs connected at the same time; as advertised, it shut everything down. I like the Bluetooth feature on the Power Watch Dog.

Mine are installed permanently, but portable is an option. I use the ones with plugs (vs hardwired) for ease of configuration. If I had to take either device off-line for any reason, it would just be a matter of unplugging it.

The yellow adapter is the output of my inverter. When dry camping, I pull the plug from the PWD feeding the transfer switch and plug it into the yellow adapter. That way my inverter powers the entire 5th wheel. Of course, I turn off the breakers for AC, microwave, refer, converter, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-29 12.01.50 -2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	7289  
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote