Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
Ceramic Coating done but...

I just finished ceramic coating our 2108 HC and it came out looking great but... I should say everything looks great except I have not done anything to the lower aluminum skirting...I am not sure the best produce to use on the textured skirting, I tried the using the ceramic coat but it just does not look that great....What does everyone else use?

Old 08-17-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I've used McGuire's wax. It's kind of a dull finish, so you can't really get a shine on that texture. It's clean and keeps dirt from sticking as easily, so that seems to be the best I can hope for.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Try a thin spray wax.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
ceramic coating

Sorry but any pics and cost to do it. Sorry I had a quote done on my truck and they wanted 2000. They do some kind of paint correction for the trucks. Did you apply it yourself
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Might try NuFinish. Its a polymer polish, not a wax. It protects longer than a wax. Real wax only lasts 6-8 weeks even though you might still have some beading of water. Try a small spot first and see how you like it. Wont get a real good shine with either product because of the texture of the skirt but will have protection from dirt etc. Also when just washing your rig use McGuires wash/ wax product. Gold color. Works great!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzinMooses View Post
I just finished ceramic coating our 2108 HC and it came out looking great but... I should say everything looks great except I have not done anything to the lower aluminum skirting...I am not sure the best produce to use on the textured skirting, I tried the using the ceramic coat but it just does not look that great....What does everyone else use?
What product did you use on the rest of your 5er?
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Might try NuFinish. Its a polymer polish, not a wax. It protects longer than a wax. Real wax only lasts 6-8 weeks even though you might still have some beading of water. Try a small spot first and see how you like it. Wont get a real good shine with either product because of the texture of the skirt but will have protection from dirt etc. Also when just washing your rig use McGuires wash/ wax product. Gold color. Works great!
NuFinish left streaks in my aluminum skirt. Also faintly in a couple of decals. It is a polish (grit) not a wax. Had used in on cars and boats with good results, but not the Monty.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
jrmart77
Established Member

M.O.C. #17919
I use NuFinish on body of the camper. It turns out great. Only downside is that it takes me a couple of days to do whole thing. I have tried different products on the skirting, but did not like results. So now, I just wash the skirting and dry it so that it does not spot. Next spring, I am going to hire someone to do it. I am getting too old !!
jrmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
CruzinMooses
Established Member

M.O.C. #23995
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
What product did you use on the rest of your 5er?
I use Torque detail
Old 08-17-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Brent-- Which ceramic finish did you use? There are several on the market and I'm trying to decide which one to get. Did you put it over your decals also?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Brent-- Which ceramic finish did you use? There are several on the market and I'm trying to decide which one to get. Did you put it over your decals also?
Never used it but believe it or not, Turtle Wax gets rave reviews on autos.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #12
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I used Turtle Wax on the entire trailer, including the skirt. I thought I turned out well.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer View Post
.....had a quote done on my truck and they wanted 2000.........
Local shop in Benicia, California put ceramic coating on my 41 ft fifth wheel trailer for $3000 and on my F-350 dually for $1300. Very happy with both.

Aluminum skirting - use a paste, foam, or spray polish made for aluminum and apply it to a small area of the trailer. Repeat over all aluminum areas of the trailer. Many people stop there, and that's fine. But if you want to extend the time between polishing sessions, apply a coat or two of paste wax.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #14
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
Send a message via AIM to Vermonters Send a message via MSN to Vermonters Send a message via Yahoo to Vermonters
Ceramic Coating

My daughter's business 802 Marine did our 3402RL in the spring. All of it including the skirting and it works great. I think it is going to save me a ton of work maintaining the finish in the future.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:00 AM   #15
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Resurrecting an older thread.

Anyone who had the ceramic coating put on their 5ver have a long term performance report? I’m still rocking a 2011 3400RL and the oxidation is finally starting. I was quoted $3800 to compound, polish and ceramic coat it. Just wondering how long I can expect it to last. Thanks!

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 10:13 AM   #16
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
First you have to dosclose if you have full body paint or just stock gelcoat as the treatments are completely different. If full body paint all the cost is in the prep and paint correction.

NEVER ceramoc coat gelcoat as it would significantly impact gelcoat repairs in the future. Removiong ceramic for repairs on fiberglass gelcoat is difficult and then getting future repairs to adhear is problematic.

Besides Ceramic is last generation, Graphene is this generation. ONe Gelcoat entire surface needs to be compounded to remove all dirt and oxidation in the pores of the gelcoat, then for most graphene products it is simple spay and wipe, pretty easy. On vertical panels It will last 1-1.5 years for most products, then easy reapplication likley with little prep. Graphe is more hydrophobic and harder then ceramic but designed for the novice to apply, unlike ceramic, also a hell of a lot cheaper for the product. I use Turtle Wax Hybrid Graphene wax. Again NEVER put ceramic on gelcoat...
Old 05-12-2023, 10:44 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
How long will it last? Depends.
Depends on how you wash your camper. Use dish wash. It will last through one washing. Use car wash then it depends on how good the coating was. The best professional it can last for nine years. Go to a car detailing shop and ask them. On my wife’s car it’s warranted for 3 years on my truck it’s 9 years. My truck coating was $900.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 11:18 AM   #18
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Depends on how you wash your camper. Use dish wash. It will last through one washing. Use car wash then it depends on how good the coating was. The best professional it can last for nine years. Go to a car detailing shop and ask them. On my wife’s car it’s warranted for 3 years on my truck it’s 9 years. My truck coating was $900.
Lynwood
Baby Shampoo is the least invasive for protecting coatings. In fact it is also what most car manufactures recommend for washing your car and protecting your paint.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:28 AM   #19
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood
There is no shuch product that has a 9 year warranty, please show us the product warranty. Now if the vendor made up thier own warrnaty what are the conditions? how do you prove something invisible is not there and determine level of protection. What is the required maintinence in the small print. Bottom line ther is no liquid product that officially hads a official warranty anywhere near that. Most of the long life (meaning 2+ years) is subjective and marketing as all Ceramic coatings are a fade away product and start to degrade from day one. Soaps, carwashes, how you wash (brushes washing will scratchh through the coatings. Climate, rain exposure and a dozon other factors determine longevity. PPF (paint protection films) only has a 7-10 year life and is far more robust than any coating.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
There is no shuch product that has a 9 year warranty, please show us the product warranty. Now if the vendor made up thier own warrnaty what are the conditions? how do you prove something invisible is not there and determine level of protection. What is the required maintinence in the small print. Bottom line ther is no liquid product that officially hads a official warranty anywhere near that. Most of the long life (meaning 2+ years) is subjective and marketing as all Ceramic coatings are a fade away product and start to degrade from day one. Soaps, carwashes, how you wash (brushes washing will scratchh through the coatings. Climate, rain exposure and a dozon other factors determine longevity. PPF (paint protection films) only has a 7-10 year life and is far more robust than any coating.
It was my understanding that it was a manufacturer’s warranty. You need to call the detail shop. Their phone number is 540 293 0021. I’m sure the owner will be happy to explain it to you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote