Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
hear it but don't see it.

Hey All,

We are having a bad rain storm today here in the smokey's. We are in our trailer and I am hearing water dripping in the bathroom. The crazy thing is I am not seeing any water anywhere in the trailer. I checked the closet, cabinet's, shower, and the vent inside the bathroom. Can it be going down the wall? I sure hope I don't have a water leak that we can't see until it's to late. Is this something to worry about? Also has this happen to anyone here? I have the front bath model 3931FB.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
No experience here, but when you get a break in the rain, maybe climb on the roof and inspect the seal around the exhaust vent and any other opening near the bathroom. Maybe they just didn't seal it good at the factory or it dried out.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Yes it can be going down a wall. I just spent 3 days replacing a 12" X 40" piece of flooring. Who knows how long it had been leaking. While in Fla. this winter felt a soft spot in the floor right in front of the refrigerator. On my unit the frig sits in a cabinet with a large drawer underneath it. Pulled the drawer and found the flooring under it totally soaked. Started removing wet plywood clear back to the outside wall. Deduced the water was getting in the wall as the wall covering was easy to pull off for about 12 inches above the floor. Sealed everything above there including roof trim, gutter, and end cap trim. Also found a couple of suspect places in the cabinet the fridge is mounted in, near the two outside vents of that compartment. I suspect this has been a hidden issue for a long time.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Charlie - i have never heard dripping water during a rain storm in my unit - but I wonder if you are hearing something that is outside the trailer but hearing it thru your slide seals...just a thought. If it is inside the trailer - my money would be on something around one of the toilets. Here is a list of the plumbing connections to check...
A. Kitchen sink
B. Fridge ice maker connections and valve (behind bottom drawer)
C. Washer/dryer connections in the pantry
D. Half bath sink
E. Half bath toilet
F. Convenience Center water connections
G. Shower
H. Toilet
M. Double sink
I. There is a roof vent here
J. Vacuum breaker for the front bathroom toilet in the bottom closet
K. Vacuum breaker for the half bath toilet access from the basement (I think)
L. There is a roof vent here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-14_14-05-17.png
Views:	31
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	6570  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
...picking up on my previous post...look at the locations of the roof gutter downspouts in the pic below. Listen for water dripping out of those that you might be hearing thru a slide seal, or the door, or the window in a slideout.
If one of the rear side windows on either side of your hide-a-bed couch are even slightly cracked open - you might be hearing a drip thru the window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-06-14_x14-05-17.png
Views:	28
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	6571  
Old 06-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
...picking up on my previous post...look at the locations of the roof gutter downspouts in the pic below. Listen for water dripping out of those that you might be hearing thru a slide seal, or the door, or the window in a slideout.
If one of the rear side windows on either side of your hide-a-bed couch are even slightly cracked open - you might be hearing a drip thru the window.
Mike,

Thank you for all your information. Here is what's happening. When the rain is not pounding on the roof, we hear a dripping sound at the front closet. I sat on that little bench/hamper and I can hear drip drip drip, like it is inside the closet. Window by the bench is closed. no water in or on any flooring or in any of the shelf's in the closet. I can't tell if anything is leaking under neat the trailer because of the rain dripping off of the trailer itself. I have a moister meter and I went thru everything on the list you gave me and everything is coming up dry.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
My unit has the front bath tub - so my window is in a different spot than yours. Look at this pic. I sketched out where your bench seat, window and closet are in relation to the front downspout gutter. If you can not feel a wet spot in the closet corner - then I will bet you are hearing the gutter drip - probably thru the window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-xyz06-14_15-21-01.png
Views:	30
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	6572  
Old 06-14-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
My unit has the front bath tub - so my window is in a different spot than yours. Look at this pic. I sketched out where your bench seat, window and closet are in relation to the front downspout gutter. If you can not feel a wet spot in the closet corner - then I will bet you are hearing the gutter drip - probably thru the window.
You are right. We blocked off the gutter and went inside and I don't hear anything. Thank you! I thinking what now! That's all i needed was a water leak.

Thanks again Mike. Sofia wanted me to ask you if you guys use your tub? We did look at your model, but Sofia fell in love with the closet.

When we see each other I will buy you a beer!

Old 06-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The tub is the reason we bought the unit! Debbie loves it! I was on temporary duty in Fort Worth for several months and she said if we are going to be here for a while i want a tub. We were in a travel trailer at first and i cogitated long and hard for how to fix her a sort of tub in the shower but nothing worked. Then we went to the Ft Worth RV show january 2018 and saw this unit and it was decided.