Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Feedback Requested - Home Automation for RV

Hello all. I was hoping to get some feedback from the group on the topic listed above. I seem to remember another member posting something similar. I was unable to locate that thread.

I have been working on an automation project for the 5er and have had really great results to date.

I am curious to know the groups thoughts on automation for RV's. Lights, Awning, Exhaust fans, Slides, Ceiling Fan, Thermostat, Security System. Pretty much everything that can be automated would be. Heck even cameras to be accessed going down the road. As much "LAZY" as possible.

All would work, with or without, internet. An app would be available for your phone and would integrate with Alexa and Google for voice control.

Certainly would appreciate any and all feedback.

Stay Safe!!! Stay Heathy!!!

Gordo

2017 3661RL
GHallof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
The Legacy Package has most of that no Alexa or google, but most of it. While my entire home is automated it is not a big deal in my RV, in fact I am slightly opposed to it in RV's as it is just more to go wrong when in remote locations. Without robust and reliable wifi or built in mobile data networks many of the controls are useless.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we traded in our old top of the line Montana we didn't buy a Legacy so that we didnt have to deal with the in-command system. We have less than no interest in that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Read something just yesterday, can't remember where, maybe on these forums, about the In-Command system.

It seems the Montana family is pretty much divided. The Montana Legacy system provides the In-Command, and the target audience is primarily the younger generation. The older generation is drifting away from the Legacy campers, even though the older generation is (overall) more financially fit to purchase them. Why? The older generation doesn't want to deal with all the new age gadgets and electronics that are subject to breakdown and failure. They basically just want buttons that are reliable.

I fall into the later category. Gizmos and gadgets are good for some folks, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There IS a camper that will suit everyone's desires out there. But for THIS old fart, I'll stick with buttons.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #5
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Feedback Requested - Home Automation for RV

All thank you for the replies so far. Helpful for sure. I am a bit familiar with the In-Command system and its deficiencies, not to mention cost.

I was able to build the switches in a way that when all else fails. THEY WORK

The only exception is if the switch components themselves fail. In other words, you could install one of these and use it through technology or use it just as you would the standard switch that comes from the factory.

I wanted the system to remain useful in all scenarios.

Appreciate the replies. Sure would appreciate keeping the conversation going
2017 3661RL
Old 04-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Keep in mind that the In-Command system has manual bypass at the base unit in the Basement, so it dies have some redundancy. Problem is most do not know how to access and use those safeguards since there is little instruction available.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'm fairly tech savvy and have a lot of such apps around the house. Having said that I'm in the DQDICK camp when it comes to the RV, "We have less than no interest in that." If switches fail I know how to jumper them.
Having said that I know lots of people, not just youngster, who love anything techy. If that's your passion, go for it.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #8
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
There are certainly other groups on the internet where this type of DIY technology flourishes with interest. A bit of a different demographic. Several facebook and youtube channels devoted to individuals doing the same or groups of like minded folks.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
When I first started making reloading equipment, powder measures my friends told me they were nice but at that price $200 I wouldn’t sell many. People in the business said there was only 1000 benchrest shooters so that is all I could ever sale.
We had 3 people to complete with. Now they all have quite making powder measures and now we have 5 different models and have sold over 25000 in over 20 years.
If you believe in your product go for it. You may fail. Most do but if you don’t try you will always be sorry you didn’t. It’s like a friend told me when I started, if you fail people will laugh at you but they didn’t even try.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Exactly! Appreciate it. Not looking for a business op. More of a challenge to myself to see it it can be done, and in a fashion that others can easily reproduce for themselves.

A lot of time on my hands...
2017 3661RL
Old 04-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHallof View Post
Exactly! Appreciate it. Not looking for a business op. More of a challenge to myself to see it it can be done, and in a fashion that others can easily reproduce for themselves.

Go for it!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Read something just yesterday, can't remember where, maybe on these forums, about the In-Command system.

It seems the Montana family is pretty much divided. The Montana Legacy system provides the In-Command, and the target audience is primarily the younger generation. The older generation is drifting away from the Legacy campers, even though the older generation is (overall) more financially fit to purchase them. Why? The older generation doesn't want to deal with all the new age gadgets and electronics that are subject to breakdown and failure. They basically just want buttons that are reliable.

I fall into the later category. Gizmos and gadgets are good for some folks, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There IS a camper that will suit everyone's desires out there. But for THIS old fart, I'll stick with buttons.
I’m with you, DutchmenSport, less to go wrong, plus getting up to turn on the lights might not be a bad thing.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
All thank you for the replies so far. Helpful for sure. I am a bit familiar with the In-Command system and its deficiencies, not to mention cost.

I was able to build the switches in a way that when all else fails. THEY WORK

The only exception is if the switch components themselves fail. In other words, you could install one of these and use it through technology or use it just as you would the standard switch that comes from the factory.

I wanted the system to remain useful in all scenarios.

Appreciate the replies. Sure would appreciate keeping the conversation going
What you described is basically what the In Command system is/does it is basically electronic controls that travels through open manual switching so in the event the electronic controls fail you have the ability to manually control from a single defualt location in the basement. Where it n command in part failed is it is just not intuitive enough for the average Joe. The issue I have is the In Command control panel in the kitchen it is very low quality with a terrible touch screen that requires significant pressure, it is a weak link and will fail sooner than later, For that reason I use the interface with my phone or Ipad to save the wear and tear. Controls these days are generally reliable.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #14
Nancy_Alan

M.O.C. #25457
Quote:

My husband and I fall into the old fart category, but he is retired IT and I am a lover of all-things techie. I'd be interested in knowing what you're doing. We use Alexa a lot around the house and I was wondering what we would be able to do in the fiver.
Nancy_Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
JPDoege
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23236
Send a message via Skype™ to JPDoege
Quote:
Hello all. I was hoping to get some feedback from the group on the topic listed above. I seem to remember another member posting something similar. I was unable to locate that thread.

I have been working on an automation project for the 5er and have had really great results to date.

I am curious to know the groups thoughts on automation for RV's. Lights, Awning, Exhaust fans, Slides, Ceiling Fan, Thermostat, Security System. Pretty much everything that can be automated would be. Heck even cameras to be accessed going down the road. As much "LAZY" as possible.

All would work, with or without, internet. An app would be available for your phone and would integrate with Alexa and Google for voice control.

Certainly would appreciate any and all feedback.

Stay Safe!!! Stay Heathy!!!

Gordo

Interested jpdoege@gmail.com Send more info!
JPDoege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:16 PM   #16
allenclme
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23676
My Monty is a retreat from all of the things automation. That said, I would like to install a NAS so I can have our audio and video library on the road. So I suppose I understand your desire for technology. I don't recall the thread though.
allenclme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #17
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
When we traded in our old top of the line Montana we didn't buy a Legacy so that we didnt have to deal with the in-command system. We have less than no interest in that.
The only reason I did not order the Legacy was it could not be built without in command. Not if but when it fails I just don't want to deal with it. A switch may fail, I keep a spare in the tool box, $6 at CW.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:56 AM   #18
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Kind of off topic but be very careful about Google/Alexa integration in your camper. I can't tell you how many times we were camping in the last year and someone on the campground wifi had a Google or Alexa device with no security. When it's open to the wifi network, anyone in the campground can control your device.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #19
GHallof
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25098
Hi Nancy. Hope you and your family are well. I too am in IT. 911/Public Safety. This entire project started out of boredom from the stay at home order here in Ohio. I needed to occupy some time. I started by researching RV Automation a bit and found that there really wasn't anything "simple" that RV owners could take advantage of if they wanted automation options while in their traveling residences. I started with the basics. Lights. Pretty much anything with a switch on the wall. As you know, all of the lighting inside our 5er's runs off of 12v. Unlike our stick built homes where everything is 110v and there are multitudes of choices for all types of automation. You just can't buy a 12v switch with automation. So I had to first find something that fit the bill and then build it from there. What I built can be used with the existing switch or you can replace the existing switch and upgrade the look. I went after the latter. The existing switches just look ugly. I have attached some pics.

The first prototype. The updated switch. The next prototype (no QTip case and black tape LOL) and the device itself.

So far all lighting is done. All work via Alexa.

Let me know if you would like more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVSwitchProto.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	6073   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVSwitch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	6074   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVSwitchBox.jpg
Views:	67