Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
3400 washer dryer combo.

We went over to the storage area today to look at the closet that the washer/dryer goes into. Our door opens outwards so no problem regarding that. Please can someone explain how they put the washer/dryer in the closet as part of the basement comes up into that area. Thanks. Diana

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I've talked to Keystone and our dealer. The box that is in the closet has to be removed. Unscrews from basement. Keystone says nothing more has to be done. Tech at dealer said you turn the box around. Someone here on the MOC said he had plans from Keystone to reinforce floor but when I talked with Keystone last week they said no. The service guy at Keystone said only 10% of "you elite" customers put in washer and dryer so they make the closet more useful for the 90%. We are going to do it. Keystone service also said vent is easy to do right on that outside wall because all that is in there is foam.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
What box are refering to? I have a 2005 3400rl and there is no box and its aready vented.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue and Ed,
I have the same box your are talking about and the dealership said the same thing to me. Just have to take out the box and they have a kit that goes in place of it and then you slide the washer/dryers in. They also said a hole would have to drilled to place the vent in the side wall for the dryer. I am hoping to have the washer/dryer put in this year, but also want the second a/c in bedroom and going to buy the extended warranty as well. The washer/dryer might just have to wait another year.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the 2005 3475, the same washer/dryer location as the 3400. We added a splendid washer/dryer from our old 2003 3655 Montana. To get the depth, you will need a flat metal vent pipe behind the washer. The standard round vent pipe takes too much space and the door won't close. We found one in a mag called inprovements. You will also need to modify the doors so thay open in the center as a water filter is located on the front of the washer on the right bottom corner. With the door open, it cannot be opened. The splendids washers/dryer are 18" for a ventless washer and 24" in depth for a vented washer. You only have 26" in depth in the washer/dryer closet. The stacked models are the same depths of 24".
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475RL Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
gungho
Sounds like yours is already for the washer/dryer. Is your vent on the outside wall. The one in the ceiling of that closet is not the dryer vent. The box we are talking about is on the floor of the closet, sits back about half way and is about 2 ft tall. If you go to the basement and look up, you see the underneath side of the box.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Montana Sky,
I talked to Keystone service last week and they said nothing about a Kit. Did your dealer say it came from Keystone?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Reading the Splendide Website they do not appear to have a water filter on the front anymore. I have also looked at the pictures of them and there is definitey nothing there.

Another question, what is the vent type hole in the ceiling in that closet?

Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Diana,
According to the service tech at Keystone, this is a vent for the electric panel/inverter which is in the back wall of that closet.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ed,
They did not mention where the kit came from. I am heading out to dealership in the morning. I will try to get more info then.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I know when we met Jeff Rank last year at a local RV Show he told us the 3400RL was designed for the Stackable Majestic washer and dryer and that the shoe shelf in the back was to be removed for application. He explained they also added to separate outlets on two different breakers so both units could be run at the same time. I know ours fit in our unit, albeit a different model and closet but when I measured my sisters I was sure they were the same dimentions inside.

Majestic also sells a combo unit that is supposed to be very good and some say works much better than the Splendide. If you want a link let me know. I can also post photographs if you'd like as the camper is in the backyard.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #12
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
I have been looking at washer and dryers and combos on the internet until I'm about blue in the face!! Having never had an rv with one I have lots of questions. We have a 3400RL. We should be picking it up any day now. Anyway, I've found a Splendide 2000S (combo) that I can get for $865.00 plus $80.00 for freight. I also found a stackable Majestic for $1088 (not sure about the freight). Do any of you have a preference for one or the other? Would there still be room to hang jackets over the combo? I believe the Majestic handles a larger load and it sounds like the dryer is faster. The "sale" on both of these is about to end so if anyone can steer me in the right direction I'd be VERY grateful. I don't even know if I can order these myself and expect the dealer to install them........and these prices, are they pretty good? TIA
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
We just installed the Splendide 2000S Combo. There is still definitely a lot of storage room left in the closet and you could still hang jackets in there. The combo works great. You just do small loads. That price is about the same as Camping World if you are a member. If you have the dealer install, post back and let us know how they handled the back leg and all the openings to the basement. We are still trying to decide what to do. We installed ours ourselves.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 AM   #14
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Parrothead

We have a 2005 3400RL that was builtin Dec 2004 and there is no box in our closet also our electric panel is in the bathroom.

John and Peggy
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Our electric panel is in the bathroom also but he said this is the vent for that panel. There is not room in the bathroom ceiling for this vent. So is your floor in that closet flat. What is at the back and sides of the closet where it goes into the basement?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:25 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Combo vs stack. Each has it pluses and minuses. Parrothead did a good job of explaining the combo. Another plus for the combo I've seen others mention is you can put in a load and head out somewhere. When you come back the load is washed and dried. If you have wrinkables in the load then this might be less a plus.

We have the stack and that's our preference. However, if our Montana would not allow a stack, then we'd go with the combo. We are fulltimers so w/d is important to us. Others fulltime and prefer to do laundromats. I think the "throughput' is higher for the stack since you can put the next load in the washer while the first load is drying. But the stack does take more space. More laundry gets done for a given amount of time. If you do a load every day then this might not be a big deal. If you do laundry once per week, like we do, then it's a bigger consideration.

Bottom line is both are good choices, you just have to decide which is best for you. Whichever way you go I'd very highly recommend a unit vented to the outside (dryer or combo). We prefer not to have the humidity inherent in a dryer's exhaust pumped into the inside of our rig.

Good luck and keep in mine my opinions may not be shared by all. Hopefully you'll get lots of replies so you can get as much info as possible.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #17
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Ed

The floor in the closet is flat all around I took a picture of the closet will try and post it. There is a vent in the ceiling but it looks like a air conditioner vent.

John and Peggy
Old 02-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
John and Peggy
It is Sue writing. I wish I had taken a picture of ours before we took the box out. Maybe someone else can who have not taken the box out. I'm really interested in seeing your picture. Our vent looks like an air conditioner vent also but the service tech at Keystone said it is an air vent for the electric panel. I think it just needs air and it didn't matter where it came from.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:43 PM   #19
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Sue

Don't know if this works or not this is a picture of the basement

http://tinypic.com/1pjn82

John
Old 02-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
John
We just went out and looked at our basement. First our toilet is in a different place because our pipes are. But it lok like your washer dryer closet is finished and ready for the washer dryer. When sitting on the toilet we face towards the kitchen. Do you face toward the bedroom? (What a topic!). The point I tried to make to Keystone is if they put the plumbing in for the washer dryer, then they should prepare the closet as they did on yours.