Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #21
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Many ( not all) of the western states will not be a problem towing behind your 5er. If you keep the weight under 4k pounds. I tow one of the smaller Montys and I am comfortable flat towing my 2 door Jeep. If you have one of the larger or largest 5ers I might think twice about it, as I then would not flat tow my Jeep. Length and the weight would be a major issue.
Find a reputable Hitch/welder/fabricator. Plan on having electrical connection to atv trailer as well.

Be SAFE and have fun, Keith

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #22
Silverado Sam
Established Member

M.O.C. #17348
Double towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Schweizer View Post
Many ( not all) of the western states will not be a problem towing behind your 5er. If you keep the weight under 4k pounds. I tow one of the smaller Montys and I am comfortable flat towing my 2 door Jeep. If you have one of the larger or largest 5ers I might think twice about it, as I then would not flat tow my Jeep. Length and the weight would be a major issue.
Find a reputable Hitch/welder/fabricator. Plan on having electrical connection to atv trailer as well.

Be SAFE and have fun, Keith
Here are the states that allow double towing, sometimes called triple towing. Same thing. 28 states in all.
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/
Silverado Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is these trailer frames are designed to carry the camper with the camper’s help. The camper adds strength to the frame. These frames have been known to break up especially in the front. They are barely strong enough to carry the camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
Harleypilot2005

M.O.C. #19541
Lots of helpful info here, and thank you all. We are a family of 5 weekend warriors (about 40-45 weekends a year)in a 2017 3791 RD. The majority of our trips are within 90 minutes travel from home. I've got a 17 ft stick steer small Grumman boat that we bring along for many of these local trips. I'd like to be able to tow it behind the Monty, but our 5er came with only the"poop tube" rear bumper and no receiver whatsoever. I'd also like to be able to install a rack to carry a 3500W invertor generator occasionally. We are now outside of warranty, so I'm not worried about voiding that. From this forums, I umderstand that having a receiver installed by a qualified professional is important and I plan to heed that advice. My remaining concerns are in regards to stress on the frame of the 5er, and installing a wiring harness. I assume I should have the existing bumper removed. Should the new bumper/receiver be attached directly to the I-beams by welding, or would it be some other method like U bolts or something? Do I have anything to worry about in regards to I-beam or frame integrity or degradation with towing? Also, any advice on how to install a wiring harness and where it would originate? Also, where would o order such an animal (wiring harness)?
Thank you.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #25
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I can't help you with rack ideas, but here's what I did on a brand "X" product that had a sewer tube for the rear bumper. I cut about a foot from the sewer tube enough to fit the hitch I made and still have the tube function of storing sewer hose. This hitch/bike rack is the same design with safety chain ears as I have had on all 3 of my Montanas with constant success over the years. I firmly believe the steel beamed hitch ties the rear of the I Beams together better than the factory sheet metal cross members.
As for wiring ... it's easy peasy. Just buy a 4 pin flat connector with say 4' of wiring on it at any auto parts store, Tractor Supply, Orschlens, or Atwoods. Drop just enough of the rear belly pan to access the rear light wiring and splice into it as needed to get all your trailer light functions. A test light will help in determining the correct wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00075-001.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	2633   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00074-001.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	2634  
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #26
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
If you weld some HSS 3x2x3/16 tubing under the frame beams running parallel, you can bolt this motorhome hitch to the back:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...EN+HITCH+82201

I welded it to my old 2006 Wildcat and towed my jetskis until I sold it in August. The pics are from 2006 when I first installed it. I had to move the spare to under the trailer so I could utilize a bike rack when I didn't double tow.

It's rated at 3500# and perfect for small watercraft or a small boat. I wouldn't flat tow a vehicle behind this heavy mess.

Here's a picture of what I did back then:

My 3790RD came with the 2" receiver and no bumper, but they say not to tow with it. I have an idea to strengthen it without a lot of work by adding another 2" cross tube more toward the rear. The framing for the sliding rear storage complicates things a bit.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #27
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Nice job ... did you have any issue with the hitch being low to the ground?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:59 PM   #28
jetskier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Nice job ... did you have any issue with the hitch being low to the ground?

No, the pic is deceiving. It was the same height as my F350's receiver. It made transitioning from the back of the trailer to the truck easy.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #29
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado Sam View Post
That is just not true. If you are pulled over in Washington for example and you are double towing you will be ticked and fined. It doesn’t matter what is legal in your home state.
i have pulled "doubles" many a mile in was state.
never had a local or state leo look at me twice. never been stopped.
it depends on your length and total weight.
a 40 foot rv and short trailer = rocky mountain doubles. not legal.
a short (under 30foot) 5er and small trailer is good to go.
or if you just look over weight.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote