Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
sdinsley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20930
2018 Montana 3731 Entry Door problem

Hello friends. Need help. Only been out twice on the new camper but have developed an issue with the entry door that goes into the kitchen / dining area. The door will not shut correctly even when the unit is perfectly level. The hinge is so tight I swear its binding up which is causing the door to actually pull away from the hinge as it closes therefore making it too wide for the door opening. The only way to close it is to slam it hard. The other door works fine.

Any guidance on how to fix or adjust would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

sdinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
should still be under warranty? You are not the first to bring up that problem they may have to replace the door.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
Woodcraver
Established Member

M.O.C. #20295
Send a message via AIM to Woodcraver
We have a 2017 3790 with similar problem with entry door. Dealer said door was coming apart inside of the frame that goes around door. Keystone is replacing door under warranty
Woodcraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Entry door hits the moryde step

I have noticed that if I don’t have the moryde steps adjusted correctly the door bottom will hit or drag against the top of the step frame.

My jury/opinion is still out on the friction hinge and whether we like it or not. Many times DW can’t open the latch partly due to arthritic fingers but mostly due to pressure exerted by friction hinges.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:02 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Our hinges on the entry friction setup started cracking. I replaced the hinges with standard hinges and installed an old fashioned door latch to hold in place when open. Did not like it, wind would slam the door around. Not able to match the all the original hinge holes, a little black caulk took care of that.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #6
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
We have a 2018 3731FL and had same problem.They adjusted door when in for warranty work that took 4 months.Ok since then.Took almost 2 months for appt?Total time 6 months they ate up of warranty time.
Seems quality control is in the dumps at factory and dealerships.They show these units at dealers to customers and just turn a blind eye to any issues unless the buyer notices and complains.They eat up warranty time by keeping units longer then needed.Its a real scam that they are really good at.
Good luck with your new rv and happy travels.

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
I had same issue, and it was remedied at the dealer. Perhaps some techs no how to adjust them and some don’t. Only had our unit for 3 months, but so far we like the friction hinge. Just watch out for the front door when opening the awning. X2 on checking the steps. I level with the steps in, and then adjust the steps, but make sure that the top threshold of the steps is fully resting on the floor/threshold of the camper. We added the handrails to both sets of our stairs. The front stairs will fold in with the handrail. Rear steps I have to remove the handrail to fold them in, but it’s quick and easy.
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote