Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
bcolleran

M.O.C. #21281
Jack Error with LCI system

Hey Guys. I have had my Montana HC 36RD for almost a year. The biggest thing that makes me curse when I get it into the campground is the leveling system. We have had it back to the dealer once and they replaced the mother board and then it worked ok. Now 1 out of maybe every 3-4 times it actually auto levels. The problem seems to be the rear right jack which would be the furthest away from the battery and mother board seems to need so much power and it causes the system to shut down and then I start to recieve the dreaded JACK ERRORS. It always seems to be when it is try to level sided to side with more than a degree of roll to the rig. What do you guys do to get it level? I pulled into, what I thought was a fairly level concrete pad, that other day and it errored on me when the aft rightjack started trying to extend itself. Any help on how you guys get your rigs level with the autolevel would be greatly appreciated. Bill

bcolleran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:29 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I estimate I can auto level about 20% of the time. Right rear and left middle jacks are where I error out. I have pre-leveled it front to back, measured and set block so travel is about 8" (this it Auto Leveling?) and it still errors out.

Yeah it works fine in the shop. They have a level concrete floor. I have asked them to try it in a real world setting this time.

Ground Control 3.0??? This is Major Tom requesting 4.0.

It is at the dealer. Service writer said they have had more problems with it than its worth. When we pick it up if it doesn't work, will call Lippert. You might want to go that route.

I am getting well versed in clearing errors. When I hit Auto-Level, DW takes dogs for a walk so I do not scare them.

We really like our Monty, if only the AC would cool, the furnace would heat and Auto- Level would work.

Sorry for the rant. You really hit nerve there.

Now where did DW hide the xanix?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I generally manually level, usually find sites to be decently level anyway, and just need to tweak. Auto level not so good on way out of level sites. Where levelers fully extend and don’t hit the ground, I block first.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I block and it still does not help. Most likely bad boards, cabling or motors.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would be changing out those electric levelers for Bigfoot or hwh hydraulic systems if I was stuck with them like you guys are. Life is bad enough sometimes without that headache. May the magic fairies fix your issues.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We always auto level and rarely have a problem.. The thing with the level system is that you have to be comparatively level to begin with. The nose of the Rv does have to be a bit higher than the rear to properly auto level if it is not the front jacks will ground.

Do some experimentation with the system by manually leveling note how much leveling you have side to side before you have a error note what it take to get a "out of stroke."
error which actually means....the jack is extended to far.

We do like we did before we had the level up.We still get the Rv kind of level using boards or blocks particularity side to side . We avoid the out of stroke error by not allowing the jacks to extend more than 10 or 12 inches using blocks under the jacks/ we make sure the front of the Rv is higher than the rear then hit auto level, Works evey time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
We have been considering moving up to a new one from our 2013 model year but after reading about your level up problems, I am now leaning to cancelling the update. Our level up works flawlessly almost every time.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our level up system is on a 21013 3402 Big sky and has never had a problem since purchase. We use it a lot. Used it it manual last week to have new tires installed.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We always auto level and rarely have a problem.. The thing with the level system is that you have to be comparatively level to begin with. The nose of the Rv does have to be a bit higher than the rear to properly auto level if it is not the front jacks will ground.

Do some experimentation with the system by manually leveling note how much leveling you have side to side before you have a error note what it take to get a "out of stroke."
error which actually means....the jack is extended to far.

We do like we did before we had the level up.We still get the Rv kind of level using boards or blocks particularity side to side . We avoid the out of stroke error by not allowing the jacks to extend more than 10 or 12 inches using blocks under the jacks/ we make sure the front of the Rv is higher than the rear then hit auto level, Works evey time.
the side to side in my driveway is very close. I pre-level it with a level. block each jack for about 8" of travel. Raise front 2 inches above level. Hit auto-level. Teach neighborhood kids new words.

I have even resorted to reading he manual several times
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
We have been considering moving up to a new one from our 2013 model year but after reading about your level up problems, I am now leaning to cancelling the update. Our level up works flawlessly almost every time.
The question you need to ask is are we talking about the electric system or the hydralic system. Most of the problems seem to come from the electric system.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
HC does not have hydraulic levelers.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I know, but does the person who is worried about the current Level-up know that? Many people assume that all Montanas are created equal and in certain areas that's just not the case.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds to me like Keystone needs to offer the exact same floor plans in a basic and deluxe version? Never mind the Montana vs High Country with different floor plans.....

Either that or a la cartel options ordering.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As written before, there are two kinds of Level Up systems. The hydraulic system used on the Montanas and the electric system used on the High Countries. Comparing the two is pointless as the only commonality is the name (and even then it differs).

The electric system is what the early posters here are referring to. The usual hint is a complaint about "jack errors". This an electric system issue 99.9999% of the time. That error is almost nonexistent on the hydraulic system.

Not all RVs in the Montana line are the same and saying "mine works" when it is a completely different system is not helping.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would also help if the poster indicate what system they have if they know. It does not help to say just leveling system.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
As written before, there are two kinds of Level Up systems. The hydraulic system used on the Montanas and the electric system used on the High Countries. Comparing the two is pointless as the only commonality is the name (and even then it differs).

The electric system is what the early posters here are referring to. The usual hint is a complaint about "jack errors". This an electric system issue 99.9999% of the time. That error is almost nonexistent on the hydraulic system.

Not all RVs in the Montana line are the same and saying "mine works" when it is a completely different system is not helping.
Correct....just noticed that he has a High Country which is a different leveling system.
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Bill this is the second time that my HC went in for LCI Ground control Right rear and Left Middle Electric Jacks consistently erroring out. Despite doing pre-leveling and blocking.

My next step will be if the dealer gives me the "works for me" line will be to call Lippert. Have heard great things about them here.

If still not satisfied maybe I can be squeaky enough at the rally.

I will be sure to post what the fix ended up being. if not here, on a new thread. Will not get our HC back for a minimum of 2 more weeks.

In a past life I worked on and maintained the code for wafer handling on an ion implanter. Leveling a camper is simpler.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #18
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Sounds to me like Keystone needs to offer the exact same floor plans in a basic and deluxe version? Never mind the Montana vs High Country with different floor plans.....

Either that or a la cartel options ordering.
Jim

they actually do. look at HC379 and Montana3791
They are very similar.
Had I known the electric system was so error prone, I would have taken my chances with hydraulic leaks.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
I had the same problem on my HC. Most of the time it was the front left. The jack eventually failed completely and was replaced under warranty. This did not fix the error problem. I finally decided I was done with that particular rig and went to the Montana with hydraulics. I'm sure they have their problems too, but so far I'm very happy.

For those of us who aren't full timers, all we want is to relax. It is really a problem when you get to where you are going to spend a few days and the Leveling system faults, then the satellite system won't work. Other than a few cosmetic issues, I'm very happy with my new Monte.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #20
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Russ when you had your jack replaced, were you able to work with just your dealer, or did you have to talk to Keystone or Lippert?