Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Talking 2018 Montana 3121RL - highly interested

Hi,

this is a nice forum you have here.

I did not find a section for potential buyers so please guide me when I am at the wrong place.

Does anybody have posted real world CAT weigh results of that 2018 Montana 3212RL unit?

I am looking to understand the hitch weight better.

Thanks,
Mike

suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
We just picked up our 2018 3121RL, dry Weight is 12067, pin weight is 2385, we just loaded it up from our OB 5th wheel and will be hitting the Cat Scales on 3-22-2018 on our way down to Florida. We def have a good safety margin as our new 2016 F350 has a Payload iof 3307 and max tow of 15,700 so based on our first round of numbers we have a 22% safety margin on tow weight and 19% on Payload will post our actually weight after cat scale on the 22nd to help you a bit more.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #3
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
We just picked up our 2018 3121RL, dry Weight is 12067, pin weight is 2385, we just loaded it up from our OB 5th wheel and will be hitting the Cat Scales on 3-22-2018 on our way down to Florida. We def have a good safety margin as our new 2016 F350 has a Payload iof 3307 and max tow of 15,700 so based on our first round of numbers we have a 22% safety margin on tow weight and 19% on Payload will post our actually weight after cat scale on the 22nd to help you a bit more.
Congrats !!

Will wait eagerly for your weight results. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Okay for grins I am going to guess your CAT pin weight at 3010.
assuming no water in Fresh water tank.

And I am also assuming you do not have a generator or washer and dryer

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Okay for grins I am going to guess your CAT pin weight at 3010.
assuming no water in Fresh water tank.

And I am also assuming you do not have a generator or washer and dryer

yeah... I guess it gets quickly overloaded.

We are new to 5th wheels and have no feeling yet for their weight impacts.
TT seems so much easier
Old 03-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #6
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
We are also looking at this floor plan, I have a 08 F250 diesel to pull, I know it will be over the payload, and it appears that most people pulling with the 3/4 ton trucks are overloaded even with the smaller and light weight 5vers. I guess legally if you are over by a 100 pounds there is no difference than a thousand pounds.
ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Curtis
Established Member

M.O.C. #20703
I picked mine up first of Dec 2017. Will B taking it out first of April. Will weight it than. It has been to long of a winter.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When I was planning our 5th wheel purchase and looking at weights, I used GVWR to estimate weight and 20% of GVWR for pin weight.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
just picked my 3121RL Saturday. I pull it with a 2017 F250 6.7, it has absolutely no issues, I was surprised empty the bed only squatted a measured 1". Having had several 5th wheels, I know how fast they become loaded when the Mrs. gets finished loading all the necessities. I ordered a set of Air Lift 5000lbs air bags today. I can tell you it was not an issue as far as weight was concerned, we have farmed all our life and regularly pull loads up to 24k lbs with our 3/4 tons without any issue. The 3121 is a very nice unit, we looked at many different units over the course of four months and after comparing it to a Jayco Northpoint, our mind was made up. We will run it across the scales once loaded. The only issue I see with it is that it comes equipped with some off brand Chinese tires. Already have it schelduled tire upgrade to Sailun S637's.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #10
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLNTIME View Post
just picked my 3121RL Saturday. I pull it with a 2017 F250 6.7, it has absolutely no issues, I was surprised empty the bed only squatted a measured 1". Having had several 5th wheels, I know how fast they become loaded when the Mrs. gets finished loading all the necessities. I ordered a set of Air Lift 5000lbs air bags today. I can tell you it was not an issue as far as weight was concerned, we have farmed all our life and regularly pull loads up to 24k lbs with our 3/4 tons without any issue. The 3121 is a very nice unit, we looked at many different units over the course of four months and after comparing it to a Jayco Northpoint, our mind was made up. We will run it across the scales once loaded. The only issue I see with it is that it comes equipped with some off brand Chinese tires. Already have it schelduled tire upgrade to Sailun S637's.

Ours also came with the Rainer Tires and I will be replace at the end of the year as well, or if I have trouble before our big trip in August
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
STIHLNTIME...if you want to haul 24k around your farm, knock yourself out, but please stay off the public roads. Your F250 is overweight hauling a 14k Montana, much less 10k over that. Do the numbers.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #12
STIHLNTIME
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21339
TLightning, I understand your concern, after conferring with the local Ford dealership, the rating of the F250 in my configuration is actually 14,700 lbs, I will certainly scale less than that. I understand that bagging it will no increase the land rating but offer a better ride and stability. Having farmed successfully for over 40+ years and being part of a family that has carried on this tradition for over a century and a half I can assure you I understand safety on our public roads. You will find in rural areas that moving overweight loads of equipment, hay, cattle are everyday common occurrences. We do it with a flagger using rural roads at slow speeds, in an area where people are used to seeing it everyday. No one is attempting to endanger anyone, and I am sorry you took it that way. What concerns me more is meeting someone in a 5th wheel or travel trailer moving 65mph or faster on the interstate that may get two weeks a year behind the wheel pulling this type of load. I can assure you that the inexpierenced driver pulling this type of load is a more serious safety threat to you than the guy who is hooked up to some type of trailer three or four days a week and is concerned about stopping distance, checking lug nuts and lights for good working order every time he hooks a trailer up. Again sorry that you were offended, I personally believe everyone pulling a trailer on the highway should pass a test very similar to a commercial CDL. I am good friends with a individual in the RV business, a leading national chain, when I asked him if they screen the vehicle that the potential buyer will be using to pull his potential purchase the answer was they don't care as long as it will pull it out the gate. There should be federal regulations prohibiting this, they should not be allowed to hook a trailer to a vehicle that exceeds its weight rating. OP sorry this hijacked your thread, that was not the intent.
STIHLNTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
lilpeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #19266
I'm won't pretend to know all there is about weights for the Montana with a 3/4 truck, but how does anyone know but STIHLNTIME what his weight is on his truck. Hear me out for a minute. Lowest weight is 16,000 for Montana correct? Maybe with cargo he may be within parameters of his truck. Say he is 12,000 with cargo and he is not over his weight for rear end and combo does not exceed capacity for truck? Even if his pin weight is the lowest of Montana line and loading it to not go over truck tow specs. I have read on this forum about 3/4 truck will be over specs so I have given it some thought for some time. No offense to any one. Just trying to learn. Like I said I'm not a numbers person. My apologies to the OP too.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #14
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Liggon View Post
I'm won't pretend to know all there is about weights for the Montana with a 3/4 truck, but how does anyone know but STIHLNTIME what his weight is on his truck. Hear me out for a minute. Lowest weight is 16,000 for Montana correct? Maybe with cargo he may be within parameters of his truck. Say he is 12,000 with cargo and he is not over his weight for rear end and combo does not exceed capacity for truck? Even if his pin weight is the lowest of Montana line and loading it to not go over truck tow specs. I have read on this forum about 3/4 truck will be over specs so I have given it some thought for some time. No offense to any one. Just trying to learn. Like I said I'm not a numbers person. My apologies to the OP too.
You have heard it right. Most Montana's can legally gross 15 to 16,000 pounds. Mine says 16,000 pounds and the cat scale said 16,200 on mine.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pin weight is the issue... Look at the carry capacity of the truck as posted on the Door jam if a Ford then weigh the truck ready to tow the RV.If the truck weighs say 8500LBS fully loaded ready to tow subtract that number from the GVWR listed on the Sticker on the door jam.Example GVWR 11,500 weight of truck loaded 8500 lbs/ actual Carry capacity 2500 lbs(pin weight allowed) .Just do the numbers they will tell the story.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #16
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
You need to also consider Your liability and insurance reneging on you if your outside of legal limits.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
STIHLNTIME...what your Ford dealer says is irrelevant, he is best casing the situation. With loaded truck, your tow capacity will go down significantly.

Here are the easy formulas:

1. GCWR minus the weight of the truck (fully loaded ready to tow) = tow capacity.

2. Weigh the truck, subtract that weight from the truck's GVWR = truck cargo capacity.

Number 2 is what causes 250/2500 diesel trucks problems....pin weight is too high, resulting in the truck being over weight.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #18
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
STIHLNTIME ... growing up in a rural area, I'll mostly side with you. I know what happens in the agricultural world day in and out. Agricultural related road use spills out onto many roadways daily seldom with issue and will do so till the cows come home as long as this is the US of A. On a parallel note ... if we really knew what shape several OTR trucks and trailers were in, we'd likely not get on the highway.
Mentally sparring with some on the MOC about weight will get you nowhere as many of the responders are full timers who only see one number "the max weight" capable of any truck / trailer combination. They refuse to let the reality that many do not ever come close to "max weight" enter in to any weight discussion thus allowing a lighter truck combination. They also seemingly refuse to acknowledge that many only use their RV 3-4 weeks (if that) a year ... have a pull destination of less than 60 miles and have done so without issue conforming to a sticker number or not. Why these examples buy such a large RV ... I have no answer. I'm not belittling full timers as I know a couple on the MOC ... reality just has to be pointed out from time to time that 5 different people with the same model of RV most likely will load it up 5 different ways, use it 5 different ways, and have 5 very different total miles per year on the road. I'm not talking per spec ... I'm talking actuality. Now ... where's my popcorn ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tlightning made it easy.. At least know the numbers no matter how you use it as that may change at any time. What you do with the numbers is your choice but it is good to know and understand them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:30 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I live in a rural setting as well. Worse yet in a mountainous rural area. Worse still in an oilfield rural mountainous area with lots of cattle farms to boot! And on top of that you can add the very worst offenders of the overloading world-----loggers!

I know all of the above quite well and can say without a doubt that they take way to many risks going overweight! Bless their hearts of course.......

Having said that, I will take any of the above over a first time 5th wheel owner on a high speed interstate!!!! I am completely with you on the idea that anyone towing something that big needs to be tested first. Maybe not a full blown CDL but something that actually applies to what they are towing instead. At the very least maybe a one day safety school??
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags