Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Not again! ($10,000 mistake)

I just finished head gasket replacement on Vinnie for the second time in two years and less than 40,000 miles. The first time, I paid a local diesel garage to have do them. I found that experience to be quite painful. First, because I, a mechanic for over thirty years, found myself in no position to do the job myself. Middle of February 2014 was bitter cold here in Michigan with temps in the 0* range nearly every day and me with insufficient heat in the barn. Secondly, having never worked on a Duramax before, I didn't think it wise to tackle under these conditions. So, nearly $10,000 later (labor, parts, head work, all new injectors and then "little" problems after it was reassembled) I got it back. Took it back three times for coolant leaks, rocker noise, oil leak. Not a good experience. Well, they went again this past December. This time I did it myself. Found the oil leak, which the former garage said they did not cause-gasket between the turbo oil return and the block had a chunk missing out of it. Found a stray nut and bolt in the block valley-one of which belonged in the intake runner. Five of eight rockers loose on the left bank causing my rocker noise. Gasket blown between #6 and #8 on the left and to the coolant jacket on #5 and #7 on the right. Injectors had not been properly programmed into the engine and glow plug modules. Head bolts-some came out unbelievably easy, others seemed to be a test of my strength. Heads checked out ok at the machine shop and it was the opinion of the owner that the bolts had been under torqued. After nearly a month of working on old Vinnie a couple hours a night after work and on weekends, he's back together and on the road again. No oil leaks, no noisy rocker arms, (no extra nuts and bolts either)and in less time than it took a garage doing this everyday, all day (six weeks). Only time will tell for certain, but I am confident the repair will last this time. It was difficult for me to pay someone to do the repairs for me the first time and my experience with it shows exactly why. I thought I had done my homework and chosen the best to do the job. I was fooled. If it can happen to a professional mechanic, it can happen to anyone.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:52 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Dmax is a great engine as with anything you can and will have trouble. If you won't it done wright just do it your self.
Lynwood
I am lucky I have a small country shop that will do the job wright, I think, hope!! I'll be watching.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
sorry...
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:30 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Kevin--Congratulations on a job well done! I envy you on doing the job yourself. I would probably have all kinds of problems and left over parts if I tried! Sorry to hear of your problem with the "so called" shop that worked on Vinnie. Some call themselves mechanics but are far less and just pretend. Can't believe they kept your TV for six weeks. Must have been agonizing to see it all torn apart and sitting there that long. It's to bad you could not have documented all of the work you did and what you found because I'm sure you could go back on them and get some of your money back but that is all under the bridge now and hope you have a trouble free ride down the highways and biways with Hannah behind you.
Come join us for the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally here in Nebraska in July if you can make it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
It is so annoying to pay good money for a job and than realize that you did not get anything close to what you paid for. I totally agree with you on your frustrations. I am glad you were able to actually take care of the issue with good results. It seems like that is quite common now on almost anything from vehicle repair to home repair. Maybe it overlaps into burger flippers wanting 15.00 dollars an hour for minimum wage.
Maybe I am just getting grumpier as I see the country change.

Tom
Old 01-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I like to do all my repair and maintenance work, that way I'm sure it's done right
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Kev, one of the great joys in life is finding a garage, a mechanic, who you can trust and who does the job correctly. Very rare these days. I have found just such a place near my home but they do not do that kind of heavy engine work. And I am not able to do that kind of job myself so I would be at the mercy of the local dealer or a diesel garage. It's a damn shame that we as consumers have to put p with sub standard work, and that that price! I think I would be sure to let that place know how lousy their work was and be sure others know about it too. I've told many garages "I will pay the going rate BUT if it ain't done right you will never hear the end of it. I expect to get what I pay for, that's all I ask".
Good luck with your future travels. I'm sure it will run better this time.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's got to be frustrating and satisfying at the same time. At least you know you can trust the mechanic this time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Not to rain on the parade but, did you use new head bolts? On diesel especially, it's recommended to replace the head bolts even after one use. Without knowing your history of repairs, this could be one of the reasons why the you had a 2nd blown gasket. Just my 2 cents.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am glad the dealer I purchased from is price competitive with the independent shops. I have had all my work except some oil changes when on the road performed at the dealer that sold me the truck. His prices are almost to the penny of the prices I get from the independents.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Glad you got everything running right, had to be a major frustration
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
My oldest brother told me in 1969 "You just can't get good help no more". And , boy was he right... still today that's true. Sorry for your hassle .
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #13
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

That's got to be frustrating and satisfying at the same time. At least you know you can trust the mechanic this time.
I would like to say he works pretty cheap. But the reality is, it hurt my secondary income while the truck was down. I do think pretty highly of the mechanic though!
Scott-Yes the head bolts were replaced....both times. Working with FelPro to have the gaskets and bolts analyzed to see if they
were properly installed.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:31 AM   #14
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Interesting discussion as I am about to tear into a Ford 6.0. Already dropped $5000 for the oil cooler and a couple injectors. Drove less than 300 miles and it dies, but too far to take back. Local Ford dealer is telling me - new engine!($16000) - I think I need a HPOP. We will see!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Be sure to up grade after market head bolts on your Ford 6.0. Head bolts are one of the main problems with the 6. 0 engine. The EGR cooler is another problem so you should get rid of it at the same time. These two things will make a lot better engine.
Lynwood
Old 01-31-2016, 11:59 PM   #16
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
I can relate to your pain! But in my case I found someone who knows the ropes with my engine. Long story short, I had an EGR cooler failure in 2010. Ford dealer replaced the Oil Cooler and EGR cooler in November 2010. My concern was whether the heads were "lifted" during the event. I was assured they weren't. The following spring when I towed for the first time that year, my degas bottle was puking. The heads WERE compromised but was not detectable under normal loading conditions. Shopped around, and coincidentally found that the Sullivan Tire business across the street from work had a guy working there that was a previous Ford Senior Master diesel tech specializing in 6.0L diesels. Matt dug in, fixed everything, and got me back on the road.

Here we are 2016.... truck runs great and I am happy. My 6.0L, with exception of ARP studs in stock. 170,000 miles on it, daily driver and my tow vehicle. It's pretty important to me and I am not willing to let just "anyone" touch it.

Matt moved from the place across the street to another Sullivan tire in Saugus MA. I had some temperature issues on a trip to South Carolina. As soon as I got back, I called him, drove 50 minutes to get there to have him work on it. Worn water pump, thermostat for good measure (I bought it to have him put it in) and some gaskets that needed to be changed.

I told him, he needs to stay in the area! I know there are good mechanics out there. But there are just as many not so good ones, and quite frankly bad ones. I do not want to experiment. When you find some one that does a job well, I don't care if its a carpenter, plumber, what have you, you have a sense of confidence in them and their ability.

I respect a good job, I will pay the price for a good job and not blink twice. The fact that I got a fair price and a repair that has lasted 5 years now, well... that is pretty good.
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My EGR will never go bad it's in a box in my tractor shed along with my DPF.
Lynwood