Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first year ends - warranty issues

We are rapidly approaching the end of the first year of ownership of the new rig, therefore the time has come to take the rig to the dealer to get the last of the warranty issues taken care of. To keep others informed of these issues, here is a copy of the e-mail body listing of the items that will be addressed:

1) Electric side of the hot water heater is not working, it kicks breaker when turned on, yet element was intact when I removed it and checked it.
2) The thermostat in the living room is allowing the front air conditioner to run constantly. It will read 90 degrees inside temperature when a thermometer placed immediately beside it will show the proper temperature. I am wondering if this is related to the satellite coax cables running down this area and transmitting heat into the wall behind the thermostat.? I am thinking that insulating the area behind the thermostat may provide a fix.
3) The outside slide controls are not working, outside front jack control works but the slide controls do not (loose wiring or fuse problem possibly)
4) The Montana logos on the front living room slides are delaminating, Keystone needs to come up with a fix for this since this has been a longstanding problem with the 3750's since introduction. We can discuss possible remedies for this when I am there Saturday
5) The top kitchen drawer is opening during travel, I think it can be fixed by adjusting the closing mechanism
6) The drawer on the dining room table is opening during travel as well, I don't know of a remedy for this one.
7) The dining room table itself is very loose on the top (it pivots an inch or so when locked in place)
8) The left-hand display light in the curio section of the front display cabinet is working intermittently (loose wiring), in addition the round light cover for this light is coming off of the wall during travel.
9) I would also like the Interstate battery that was provided with the rig load-tested. I have had to add a second battery since the Interstate battery will not power the rig for more than a day. We cannot even run the fridge overnight to prep for a trip the next day with the Interstate battery.
10) The passenger side propane tank regulator does not allow for the generator to run during switchover. I have heard there is a restrictor in this line that may have to be removed. I have also heard that the regulator has been problematic in past models. Can you pressure test the lines on both sides to make sure there is 30 psi available at all times. I am having to switch the propane tanks when one is empty in order for the generator to work.

All things considered, we are extremely happy with the 2011 3750FL to date. As can be seen, the issues are relatively minor and we expect no difficulties in getting them remedied since we have had no problems in dealer support and service. Now, obviously, some of the really minor issues could have been fixed by me, but that is what a warranty is for!!

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Hi Bingo, We have a fix for #6. We use a long velcro strap around the table where the drawer is, when we travel. It's soft, doesn't damage the finish and keeps the drawer closed. Hope this helps.
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Ours goes in on Saturday for warranty issues.
1) Rear landing gear won't come down by switch or by hand crank.
2) Batteries won't charge unless hooked up to the tow vehicle.
3) Coach wiring (or something) amiss as microwave won't run and you try and turn on a 110v light and the microwave "beeps" as if you just plugged into service. Checked pedistal output and it was within range (30a).
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Hey Bingo, if their busy you might have to push them a little so it will be ready before the 30th.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Taking it there this Saturday, appointment is already set, if they have to order anything I will take it back at a later date. All I am making sure of is that it is done under warranty before the one year expires Oct. 6. We will ready on the 30th whether or not the parts come in by then, we are still using the rig as-is.
Bingo
Old 09-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Found a water leak in ours this weekend! Go figure, didn’t notice anything while it was under the 30day warrantee. The window beside the table is leaking from underneath during a very hard rain. Minor blemishes on the wall board indicate that it has been there for a while. It’s possible they might make it good anyway if I pursued it but I believe I’d rather fix it myself.

On Edit: Got it repaired! Found where it was leaking and placed a bead of silicone around the top of the window per advice from our service dept. at the dealer.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Hi Bingo. Hope your dealer takes good care of you. We're approaching the one year mark as well. Did have a decal at the top of our bed slide peeling off. Dealer has ordered a replacement. Thermostat would switch from program 1 to program 2 at 12:O'clock and back to program 1 at 1:O'clock. Noticed this last January in Tucson at night when we had program set for cooler temp at 10pm and furnace would come on at midnight bringing temps back up to daytime setting until 1am when it would return to the night setting. Reverse happened at 12 noon. Dometic replaced the thermostat. Works fine now. We also have the infamous shower leak at the base of the shower enclosure. We've been very fortunate other than that (knock on wood).
The only other concern I have is how much up and down flex should there be between the pin box and the fiberglass front cap when traveling? There seams to be about one to one and a half inch up and down movement between the two. I'm assuming this can't be completely rigid and some flex is normal.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Dave,

I have the same flex on mine. My dealer said it is normal but I intend to look into it more at the rally next week. If I learn more I'll post it.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

Hi Bingo. Hope your dealer takes good care of you. We're approaching the one year mark as well. Did have a decal at the top of our bed slide peeling off. Dealer has ordered a replacement. Thermostat would switch from program 1 to program 2 at 12:O'clock and back to program 1 at 1:O'clock. Noticed this last January in Tucson at night when we had program set for cooler temp at 10pm and furnace would come on at midnight bringing temps back up to daytime setting until 1am when it would return to the night setting. Reverse happened at 12 noon. Dometic replaced the thermostat. Works fine now. We also have the infamous shower leak at the base of the shower enclosure. We've been very fortunate other than that (knock on wood).
The only other concern I have is how much up and down flex should there be between the pin box and the fiberglass front cap when traveling? There seams to be about one to one and a half inch up and down movement between the two. I'm assuming this can't be completely rigid and some flex is normal.

Dave
When we had ours repaired in 2006 it had 1 3/4 inches of movement. Too much! Rebuilders said that 1/4 inch is normal! Since having it repaired there have been no problems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Be sure to ask them where the hidden compartment is. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
Bingo, on our logo Keystone clearcoated it. That has seemed to work well.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Was the clearcoat a Keystone fix or a dealer fix?? I was thinking of insisting for some sort of framed glass cover for it possibly.
Bingo
Old 09-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lee F.

Dave,

I have the same flex on mine. My dealer said it is normal but I intend to look into it more at the rally next week. If I learn more I'll post it.
Thanks Lee. Hopefully they'll have an honest answer. I'm trying to imagine how the bedroom and front cap can be moving independent of the pin box and front end chassis.Would have thought that the aluminum wall framing would be secured to the steel chassis. Thanks
Orv. We'll see what Lee finds out.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote