Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks Dick and Mike, appreciate the comments. I'm leaning toward going with them, they have to help some and would hate to kick myself later for not doing it. I tried the Napanee company, but my search looked like they are out of business so I'll try to keep looking.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #22
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
My dealers comments were the fogging issue, the weight, and also the possibility of breakage. In his 40 years of experience he had seen a lot of dual panes crack and fail because of the vibrations of travel, and they are very expensive to replace, so not enough benefit to justify costs. Once again, at that point he already knew that we were going to special order, so that did not cloud his advice. We took single pane and have had no regrets.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #23
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

My dealers comments were the fogging issue, the weight, and also the possibility of breakage. In his 40 years of experience he had seen a lot of dual panes crack and fail because of the vibrations of travel, and they are very expensive to replace, so not enough benefit to justify costs. Once again, at that point he already knew that we were going to special order, so that did not cloud his advice. We took single pane and have had no regrets.
Thanks washley1, this is what I have heard now from a couple dealer too. I am also concerned about the loss of ventilation as I have been told. Without seeing the windows side-by-side, don't know how much actual opening space I would lose. And like me, a couple dealers know we're ordering anyway, so no big deal to them - even losing a little profit which is why this is so difficult a decision I figure they must have some reasons they don't like them??

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Once again, at that point he already knew that we were going to special order, so that did not cloud his advice.
"cloud his advice" as in cloudy windows? Good one

Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Do your homework on Rv dual pane windows. These are NOT thermopane windows, These are NOT the same dual pane windows you might have in your home.
Rv dual pane windows may or may not be sealed. They probably are not gas filled but only have air between the panes. The space between the panes is very small and does little for thermo insulation. Buying them is Ok but do the homework and understand what you are purchasing...RV dual pane windows.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #25
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250

[/quote]
I would recommend you further investigate the "gas filled" claim. I have had two different Montana representatives (not dealers) tell me they are not. As Phil stated earlier, the windows add little to no R value. They do block noise and sweat less that the standard windows. Dealers are notoriously uninformed. Call the vendor and see what they say. You want to be sure you get what you think you should. It is your $$, ensure you get full value. [/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3][/blue]
[/quote]

I just checked our dual pane glass and they are manufactured by Kinrow, a subsidiary of Lippert Componants. Lippert has a pretty extensive web site, perhaps they have the information there or call customer service.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #26
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just reposting by an owner of a fiver that has dual panes ... it doesn't matter to me if there is gas in between the panes, it doesn't matter to me if "supposedly" there is no R value difference, it doesn't matter to me about the weight because it is negligable. What does matter to me is that fact that you can stand beside these windows in direct sunlight and feel little radiant heat. In the winter, there is little window sweating with the furnace on. All year round, there is noticably less noise eminating from outside sources. They do open differently than the old louvered window panes that never sealed well, but they all do open and venilation is adequate for me. If one fogs up, I knew that was a possibility ... I'll get it fixed. 3% more money on a $50,000 (list) fiver is not that much to squirm about.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
It's my understanding that the dual paned windows do not come with the very heavy tint that the single panes have. If that is true, the very dark single panes would do better in the summer sun than the double paned without the tint.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Do your homework on Rv dual pane windows. These are NOT thermopane windows, These are NOT the same dual pane windows you might have in your home.
Rv dual pane windows may or may not be sealed. They probably are not gas filled but only have air between the panes. The space between the panes is very small and does little for thermo insulation. Buying them is Ok but do the homework and understand what you are purchasing...RV dual pane windows.

Thanks Rich, I appreciate the explanation. I was thinking they would be similar to home windows, and not a lot different so good to know. Hard to justify I guess if little thermo insulation, but trying to figure out if there is less or even no condensation like single-pane, it would seem they are having some effect of changing the interior to exterior temperature?? Still trying to find who makes them for Montana...

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 08-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #29
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PatnRich

[/quote]

I just checked our dual pane glass and they are manufactured by Kinrow, a subsidiary of Lippert Componants. Lippert has a pretty extensive web site, perhaps they have the information there or call customer service.
[/quote]

Thanks for the lead Rich, I'll check it out!

Greg
Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #30
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Just reposting by an owner of a fiver that has dual panes ... it doesn't matter to me if there is gas in between the panes, it doesn't matter to me if "supposedly" there is no R value difference, it doesn't matter to me about the weight because it is negligable. What does matter to me is that fact that you can stand beside these windows in direct sunlight and feel little radiant heat. In the winter, there is little window sweating with the furnace on. All year round, there is noticably less noise eminating from outside sources. They do open differently than the old louvered window panes that never sealed well, but they all do open and venilation is adequate for me. If one fogs up, I knew that was a possibility ... I'll get it fixed. 3% more money on a $50,000 (list) fiver is not that much to squirm about.
Thanks dieselguy, very succinct response from the orginal poster. Have felt that way too, until someone changes my mind again.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #31
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

It's my understanding that the dual paned windows do not come with the very heavy tint that the single panes have. If that is true, the very dark single panes would do better in the summer sun than the double paned without the tint.
There we go, another good point. In my case this may be a plus though. We live in the northwest and RV year round. The heavy tint may actually be a detriment for all the overcast/rainy days. Guess it's always a trade off...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #32
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
We have single pane windows in our Montana. When and if we get another fifth wheel, it will have dual pane glass. When we built our stick home, I specified Pella Deluxe windows. Pella Deluxe has two panes of glass, not sealed with an air gap between the glass. The air gap is vented at the top and bottom. They are more energy efficient then gasketed insulated glass, per Pella Tech sheet, plus I will never need to worry about a leaking gasket. I can only speculate that the energy efficiency of air gaped windows is greater then insulated glass in a trailer or motor home.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #33
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PatnRich

[/quote]

Thanks for the lead Rich, I'll check it out!

Greg

[/quote]

Okay, I just called Kinrow's Pendleton, Oregon plant and they said NO, the windows are not gas filled, just two panes of glass. He said I will lose some ventilation, but not much. Said tinting should be pretty much the same depending on what degree of tinting the rv manufacturer orders because they just use one tinted piece and one clear piece or it would be too dark. That's about all I got, but at lest according to this person, no gas...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #34
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nowinter

We have single pane windows in our Montana. When and if we get another fifth wheel, it will have dual pane glass. When we built our stick home, I specified Pella Deluxe windows. Pella Deluxe has two panes of glass, not sealed with an air gap between the glass. The air gap is vented at the top and bottom. They are more energy efficient then gasketed insulated glass, per Pella Tech sheet, plus I will never need to worry about a leaking gasket. I can only speculate that the energy efficiency of air gaped windows is greater then insulated glass in a trailer or motor home.
Thanks Steve, great information there...makes sense. Okay, so as of this hour, leaning toward dual pane...may change though