Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
3750FL

Hello everyone, newbie here...

We are moving up from a travel trailer to our first fifth wheel. Main reason is for more room, and the interior height of the fifth wheel. Have always liked the open feeling of the fiver, and the "great room" of kitchen and living room combo that 99.9% of the fifth wheels have. Then we ran across the 3750FL and really like the layout. Question is basically just how 3750 owners like the layout once they've actually used one. Do you miss the open feeling of the big kitchen/living area together, or do you like having them more seperate? Also, the bedroom is huge, bathroom is huge, kitchen okay, but with the shorter ceiling height in the living room does it feel claustraphobic at all since that's where you'll probably spend a good amount of time?? It felt a little strange to sit on the couches and have the slide ceiling right over our heads. I really appreciate any comments from the 3750 owners and how they like or dislike the floor plan after using it.

Happy travels,

Seahunter

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have had ours for about a year now, and have not been in the least disappointed. You will get used to the low slides, a few head knocks and you will eventually learn to duck before sitting, not after. In reality, the 3750FL is more of an open floor plan that allows for 10 or more people to gather within conversation reach of each other. The stand alone dinette in the slide is a vast improvement over the layout we had in our previous 3400RL and provides a lot more leg room, etc. With regards to feeling claustrophobic in the living room, we have not experienced that at all, I think the arched ceiling assists in that. The stand-alone bath with the closet for our stackable washer-dryer was our big selling point. The only disadvantage we have encountered to date is the lack of room for dirty laundry. We plan on remedying that by adding a storage bench at the bottom of the bed to keep the dirty clothes in until cleaned. When traveling, the bench will ride either in the bathroom or on the bed. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks bingo!

Appreciate the comments, and the welcome. Yes, the bathroom really is appealing to us, and the bedroom, have never seen that much room at the foot of a bed. Sure we would get used to the couches. I'm not huge, but 6-2, so I'm sure I'll bonk the old noggin a few times on those slides

I like your little bed warmers. We have whippets, so they used to run with the Basenjis when we would lure course. Girls are a little old now to compete, but still get out to run freely at the dog parks several times a week...

Thanks again for your feedback on the 3750, we really appreciate it!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
We have had our 3750FL for about 3 months now. With the two of us it is heaven - space when we need it and togetherness when we need it. We have hosted our Daughter and her family (husband and two young'ns) with no space issues. It is, IMHO, a great floor plan and well built to boot.

Happy travels!

Paul & Nancy
Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks Paul and Nancy. Glad to see we're not the only ones who would just be two people with such a large trailer! It's just the two of us as well, plus two dogs - we like to have extra room though... With your F250 is that the diesel? Any issues with towing the weight? We are doing both the trailer and new tow vehicle, so debating which Super Duty to get at this point. Would really like the dual rear wheels for stability, but at the same time would like a SRW for non-towing use... Thanks for your input!

Also, forgot to mention but would be interested in any input from Montana owner's who got the Big Sky package. Really would like the leveling system due to physical limitations, but don't really need the full paint and shower. Upgraded tires of course would be nice. I guess the package can be had for about $6500 right now if you deal, so just looking for any input from those that have the package too. Thanks for any feedback.

Greg
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you attend the Goshen Rally, the Level Up system can be had for $3,600 installed.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #7
Charlie44
Established Member

M.O.C. #11317
We have had our 3750 for almost 6 months and love it. Ensure you get the 2nd AC. Bedroom is large and the bath is large which we really like. We love the living room. With 20 plus drawers/closets the interior storage room is great. The exterior compartments are adequate. They are smaller than most other models. We had the genset installed and have used that as well. Only problems were the black tank flush and a couple of minor things. I think it is probably operator error with the entertainment center. Still have problems connecting to DirecTV and running a coaxial cable thru the window gets low grades from my wife since there are jacks on the exterior for this purpose.
Charlie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
We love everything about the 3750FL (and we're 2 without pets). It's like having a 4 room apartment. Be sure and add "Make sure the bedroom door is closed" to your check list before moving the slides to the in position!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
AND ... if the 3750 comes equipped with Goodyear Marathon tires, be sure and negotiate different tires with the dealer. Enough has been said on this forum about Marathon's so I won't go on ... and on ... and on about them. I recommend the Goodyear G614 or G949. Either are vastly superior to the overspec'd (and potentially dangerous) Marathon.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

If you attend the Goshen Rally, the Level Up system can be had for $3,600 installed.
Thanks Michael and Kat, good to know that is an option. I tried to find an installer on the west coast, but not sure if they ever got one out here.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie44

Ensure you get the 2nd AC. The exterior compartments are adequate. They are smaller than most other models. We had the genset installed and have used that as well. .
Thanks Charlie44,

Appreciate the recommendations. Second AC is on our list, and the generator too. We did notice the only thing we could fault was the lack of a full-size basement like you said. Figured if we go with the level-up, at least we can eliminate some of the set-up blocks and miscellaneous wood. Thank you for your comments.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by moutard2

AND ... if the 3750 comes equipped with Goodyear Marathon tires, be sure and negotiate different tires with the dealer. Enough has been said on this forum about Marathon's so I won't go on ... and on ... and on about them. I recommend the Goodyear G614 or G949. Either are vastly superior to the overspec'd (and potentially dangerous) Marathon.
Ouch! I won't even ask about the bedroom door... Thanks for the heads-up on the tires. I will definitely raise that question with the dealer. Appreciate the comments, thank you!

Greg
Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on that rig!

If you adding more stuff especially the generator, then you might consider the dually. I don't know the ratings for the new 2011s but that pin weight of that large Monty will certainly tax the rear axle. There is no way to improve the RAWR on a SRW F-350, and I wouldn't even bother with the F-250.

I also think the F-350 dually is the best bet since you can get a lower diff that can probably tow the weight and keep the mpgs down when not towing. I think the F-450 dually (only comes in dually) has a higher diff and while it's far stronger you'll get less mpgs. Again check the number and then weigh the actual weight.

If you eventually add the washer/dryer and 2nd A/C these will add weight to the rig and pin too. As the saying goes, just cuz there's plenty of room in the rig, doesn't mean you can carry the weight.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
We bought our Big Sky in April of this year. The reason on going to the Big Sky was that I wanted the Lippert 6 Point Leveling System and the GoodYear G614 tires and the good wheels. I could not get them without the paint job and the shower, I had to take the whole package for $6,000. I did not want to have the Lippert system added after the trailer was built. After we got the trailer we were real happy with the paint job, it realy stands out as something special.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

If you adding more stuff especially the generator, then you might consider the dually.

I also think the F-350 dually is the best bet since you can get a lower diff that can probably tow the weight and keep the mpgs down when not towing. I think the F-450 dually (only comes in dually) has a higher diff and while it's far stronger you'll get less mpgs. Again check the number and then weigh the actual weight.

If you eventually add the washer/dryer and 2nd A/C these will add weight to the rig and pin too. As the saying goes, just cuz there's plenty of room in the rig, doesn't mean you can carry the weight.
Thanks Art!

Yah, I think DRW is the way to go, just trying now to weigh the pros/cons of the 350 vs. the 450. The 350 will tow it, with weight to spare even, but I really like the idea of the 4.30 gears so its not working as hard to pull. The 450 also has a much better turning radius because of the wide track front end. Its just hard to justify $3 - $4k just for the gears and better turning. They got rid of all the other items that made the 450 heavier than the 350 so that is really the only diffence now. Thanks for the idea on the washer/dryer and AC too. I had forgot about the washer/dryer as a likey upgrade eventually and also would like to get a generator, all which will add a consierable amount of weight... maybe now I need a F550 Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions!

Greg
Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

We bought our Big Sky in April of this year. The reason on going to the Big Sky was that I wanted the Lippert 6 Point Leveling System and the GoodYear G614 tires and the good wheels. I could not get them without the paint job and the shower, I had to take the whole package for $6,000. I did not want to have the Lippert system added after the trailer was built. After we got the trailer we were real happy with the paint job, it realy stands out as something special.

Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply. I'm the same way, would just prefer to have a major component like that factory installed. Wow, $6,000 you did really well. After this year I guess the Big Sky package is normally about 15k msrp, but is "on sale" this year for about $10k.
The paint does look nice in the photos I've seen. I guess the Big Sky's are order only, so won't be able to see one on the lot anywhere. Can I ask where you got your trailer - sounds like you probably got a pretty good price? Thanks for the comment, really appreciate it!

Greg & Kris
Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
With the 3750, the second air and the addition of the washer and dryer will not affect the pin weight. The second air would be in the bedroom typically at the rear of the rig, and the closet for the washer dryer is almost directly above the axle assemblies. You received good advice on the tires, we went with the 614's after telling the dealer the rig was not coming off of the lot with the Marathon's on it. The storage is deceiving regarding the beneath rig storage. I was able to transfer everything that was in our 3400's basement into the two compartments on the 3750 with no problems. The storage area beneath the bed on the slide is surprisingly large when you start putting stuff in there. Ours currently has two Camping World recliner chairs, two Camping World folding rocking chairs, two folding wooden side tables, a folding hammock, baggo game, washers game, 20' x 8' presto ground mat, two foot mats for the doors, bocce game, and a Jim Fischer/John Kohl pvc rear ladder drying rack, and a Coleman pop up dining canopy in that compartment (and there is stilla little room left). If you are considering the Onan 5.5 kw generator, it will add about 300 pounds to the rig, of which most of it will add to the pin weight.
Bingo

On edit: With regards to the blocks, etc. I carry all of our blocks and small boards that I use beneath the jacks and stabilizers in the battery compartment and my side to side leveling boards in the back of the truck.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #18
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
In regard to the Level-Up System, I just received an e-mail from Lippert yesterday. They have approved additional service centers for installations. I tried to paste the info here, but it all ran together, if anyone is interested PM me and I'll forward the e-mail. I agree, would prefer to have such a system installed prior to putting the unit on the frame, would make for a much neater installation, but I have no complaints about my install, just love the ease of set-up.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #19
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

You received good advice on the tires, we went with the 614's after telling the dealer the rig was not coming off of the lot with the Marathon's on it. The storage is deceiving regarding the beneath rig storage. I was able to transfer everything that was in our 3400's basement into the two compartments on the 3750 with no problems. The storage area beneath the bed on the slide is surprisingly large when you start putting stuff in there. If you are considering the Onan 5.5 kw generator, it will add about 300 pounds to the rig, of which most of it will add to the pin weight.
Bingo

On edit: With regards to the blocks, etc. I carry all of our blocks and small boards that I use beneath the jacks and stabilizers in the battery compartment and my side to side leveling boards in the back of the truck.
Thanks again Bingo for the comments! Thats good to know the storage is larger than I remembered. Did you have the generator installed from the factory? Not sure whether to do it when ordering or just add it later. Also was wondering, is the battery compartment on the 3750 designed to be able to hold dual batteries. We had dual 6-volts before and would like to do the same. Thanks Bingo!

Greg
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our generator was factory installed and I would definitely recommend doing it that way to avoid dealer labor charges. On another note, I also elected to upgrade the propane tanks to 40# tanks (and yes, they are heavy). The LP generators drink the propane pretty rapidly. I have two 12 volts currently in the battery compartment so you should have no problems.
Bingo