Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Equipment needed for full timing

What do we need in equipment to start Full-time?
Not sure what hoses should come with delivery, do we need to buy those too?

Generator and/or inverter?
Batteries?
Air compressor?
Tire Pressure monitor?
Outlet checker/Voltage meter/Voltage regulator?
Water filter? (incoming)?
Water filter (for drinking)?
Water pressure gauge?
Jack Pads/Supports/Chocks?
Leveler?
Step Support?
Awning Straps/Awning Tie downs?

We are new to RVing and haven't got a clue what we need versus what the salesmen are trying to talk us into buying.

All suggestions and advice is appreciated.
Jo

Jo_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are in our 6th year of full timing and can tell you what we use but everything depends on what type of travel you plan on doing..

Generator and/or inverter? If you will be doing a lot of boon-docking this is a must.. If you stay at campgrounds with hook ups you may not need a generator.. We just carry a Honda 2000 in the truck for the few times we overnite without plug-ins.. We have a small inverter in the truck to charge the computer on the road or amke a quick cup of coffee.

Batteries? We ordered and extra battery with our Big Sky

Air compressor? We carry a small one with us in the truck for emergencies..

Tire Pressure monitor? Wouldn't leave home without it

Outlet checker/Voltage meter/Voltage regulator? We use one all the time but did not have one the first three yrs or so.. Luckly we did not have any problems

Water filter? (incoming)? We use two filters for incoming

Water filter (for drinking)? We did not add one

Water pressure gauge? Yes

Jack Pads/Supports/Chocks? We use the sissor supports between the tires, have JT stabalizers, and use wood blocks for jack pads.

Leveler? Just the big one that sticks on the front

Step Support? We do not use a step support but we do carry an extra step for those places that the bottom step is too high above the ground.

Awning Straps/Awning Tie downs? Here again, it depends on your travel.. When we are on the road we do not use these.. We also never leave our awning out if we leave the campground even an hour... When we are parked for any length of time at our place in Florida we use the straps and tie downs along with our sun awning that we attach to the awning.. We watch the weather report carefully and if there is any kind of a wind advirsery, the awning goes up...

Many of these things can be added as you find them necessary.. Sometimes you add them only after you wish you had added earlier but don't let the salesmen talk you into it. Like I said before, this is what we have with us but it might not be what you need.. Only time will tell.

Good luck in your travels...I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Ditto what Helen said. However we do not have a generator. There are times we wish we had, but the camping we do is usually in a park with fhu. You want a good white hose for your main water hook up and another hose (we bought black) for the black tank clean out. The dealerships usually give you an intro package with sewer hoses etc. You just need the basics for now. You can fill in the rest after you decide what kind of camping you want to do. You don't want excess equipment that you may never use. It takes up space and adds to your weight. Good luck and welcome to full timing. We have been doing it for 5 yrs now.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We second Helen's response as well. We do carry a couple of 25' and a 10' white water hose. It's nice to have the 10' for those times the water is right next to the rig. We also carry two lengths, one longer and one shorter, of sewer hose that can be joined if necessary.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I suggest you do a couple of short campouts and see what you need. Camping close to a Camping World or other RV supply store would be a plus. Buying anything extra from the dealer is probably going to cost more than somewhere else. We've been RVing for 17 years and still don't have all the things other do. We also have some things we never use!!!
Happy trails...............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Just a few additional comments, highly recommend a good grade surge protector/ energy management device, get a good grade adjustable water pressure regulator like a whole house one from Lowe's, Get Roto Chok brand chocks, they cost more but they will not pop out like the cheap scissor style ones can, be sure that the air compressor you buy is capable of producing more than enough PSI for both your TV and RV tires, I like the DICA brand RV pads and wheel wedges, they cost more but have a live time guarantee, we have an onboard genset and use it a lot but don't feel it is an absolute necessity, on the other hand we carry a DirectTV receiver, dish, and tripod plus all the necessary bits and pieces to set up and I feel it is a neccesity!!DW says the washer/dryer and dish washer are necessary and I say the icemaker is, Best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
When you outfit you sewer hoses we highly recommend spending the extra money on the Rhino Brandsystem and also purchase a clear elbow so you can viewwater and make sure it is clean. Afer 3 years our sensors still work!!!! Basic tool box, a good level we use a standard home style one 3ft long.....If you are going to full-time I would also have a standard hose and spray nozzle, you are going to want to wash rig and tow rig and alot of parks will allow if you have a nozzle that shuts off water when not spraying. I brought my wooden expandable drying rack that had at home and love it, a lot of parks do not allow clothes lines but have never had one complain about rack. We bought an adapter for propane tanks so we could just remove one of the tanks in rig and use for BBQ. Little cylinders are costly and why pack a third tank when tanks in rig are removable. Have Fun...Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Seems the more I learn, the more questions I find myself asking.
A BIG "Thank you" to everyone for the input!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Might add that a good tool kit, including a rechargeable drill, a sawzall and circular saw, along with a mechanics tool kit containing sockets and box wrenches, is a good idea. Oh, and get a #2 square drive bit to remove and replace all those screws in your rig.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Probably the most important "things" you'll need to start full-timing are a sense of adventure and a sense of humor. Enjoy ... it's an exciting lifestyle.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #11
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
You may want to check into some emergency road service. I use Good Same ERS. I would not rely on manufacturers road side service systems.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
.................................................. .. MONEY .................................................. .......
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Jo_Hine
Established Member

M.O.C. #10609
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

.................................................. .. MONEY .................................................. .......
This made me Laugh out loud!

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Not sure what your model/year came with, but I'll add a few things we've found out.

Sewer line support device...altho' you may have the boom system.

Sewer line waste gate in front of the clear elbow.

A small but powerful fan...you'll probably find cold/hot spots, and I've found keeping the air circulated helps alot.

A "wye" water hose connection...that way, you don't have to be connecting/disconnecting your water supply to hook up a flush hose.

scissor jacks...they'll take alot of the "flex" out of the unit.

velcro straps...we use them to wrap around cabinet door handles to keep them from opening during travel.

That li'l screen door add-on lever handle.

A digital thermostat.

Awning and/or step lights.

We also have a portable/lightweight/rechargable vacuum cleaner that has a removable "dustbuster"...it works great, and that way you're not always dragging out the central vac system stuff.

The insulated vent covers, especially if you have a skylight over the shower.

"Command" hook system...these are great for everything from towel hangers to key fob hangers, and do no damage when you remove them.

Hope this helps a little.
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Everybody's comments are right on. As a newbie full timer myself (one month in) I'd add on piece of advice...

Don't think you need to go on the road 'perfect'. Start with some basics and add as you see fit as you travel. Two reasons for this. One, you'll get tons of ideas just keeping your eyes open and talking to fellow RVers. Two, there are loads of places to buy the things you'll discover that you need.

OK, three reasons.

Three, you'll find you have lots of time on your hands and there's nothing more pleasing than filling that time spending your money and making improvements.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We're full timers, and have found that what looks good today, or is recommended by others, is not what you are going to want to lug around tomorrow.

Get the necessities...and by that I mean, take your time, buy only what you need. Most likely, you'll change your mind later about the usefulness, especially if it competes for space and weight.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
rexbouwense

M.O.C. #10672
We have been full-timing since January 1993 and are in our fourth rig, three of which have been Montana fifth wheels. We have what we call the two year rule. If you don't use it in two years, you get rid of it. Most of the things mentioned here will be used in two years but you will soon discover the things that you need, the things that are nice to have, and the things that you want as well as the things that you thought that you should have but really have no use for in a fifth wheel. Enjoy.
rexbouwense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rexbouwense

We have been full-timing since January 1993 and are in our fourth rig, three of which have been Montana fifth wheels. We have what we call the two year rule. If you don't use it in two years, you get rid of it. Most of the things mentioned here will be used in two years but you will soon discover the things that you need, the things that are nice to have, and the things that you want as well as the things that you thought that you should have but really have no use for in a fifth wheel. Enjoy.
I agree with above. The trouble is as soon as you get rid of something you find you need it. I agree that you should get the basics, then supplement on the road as we have done. Shopping is too easy now days and when you need something it is fairly easy to find.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #19
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Our experience is based on having spent the last 5 months on the road:

Generator and/or inverter? No requirement unless you plan to boondock regularly
Batteries? we have 2 which is probably 1 more than we need.
Air compressor? A small tyre inflator is a very good idea.
Tire Pressure monitor? Highly recommended
Outlet checker/Voltage meter/Voltage regulator? Essential to have a multimeter to check the pole and a voltage meter permanently plugged in inside is a highly desirable.
Water filter? (incoming)? Recommended
Water filter (for drinking)? Essential if you don't have the former but we use only bottled water for drinking
Water pressure gauge? Not essential but a regulator is.
Jack Pads/Supports/Chocks? Essential, suggest a pack of 10 lynx blocks plus 4 or 5 short lengths of ply or timber from 1/2" to 1" thick.
Leveler? Presume you mean an automatic levelling system - Nice to have but not essential
Step Support? No.
Awning Straps/Awning Tie downs? Not essential unless you plan on leaving the awning out when it is blowing.
A set of 2 Chocks

Other things you will need:

50A cable (this should come with rig)
30A cable (this probably won't come with rig)
Adaptors for 30A-50A and vice versa plus a 10A adaptor for your 30A plug.

Recommended:
Install a SeeLevel tank monitoring system (or similar the standard indicators are worse than useless.)
An autoformer e.g. Powermaster VC-50
or at least a surge protector (50A)
If you are not getting a satellite TV system then upgrade your antenna to a Jack or digital compatible antenna.
Install stabilisers such as JT Strongarms or BAL eliminators
Use X chocks or similar
Sewer line waste gate in front of the clear elbow as mentioned above - Glue it on so it doesn't fall off while travelling.
Washer/dryer is highly desirable.

Hoses:
You will need a good 25' non-kink white water hose for drinking water plus a 25' extension for the occasional time that you will find the tap a bit further away.
Get at least 2 (preferably 3) 15'-25' grey hoses and don't get cheap ones. You want good quality so they don't burst or kink. You will use these for black tank flush and washing the rig.
Get at least a y adaptor although we use a double tap and a Y adaptor which gives us 3 outlets (one for drinking, one for black tank flush and one for general water at the tap)
Also get click-in hose adaptors so everything can be joined easily and won't leak.
Lots of velcro straps.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Craig
KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #20
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Be darn sure full timing is right for you. We just got back from a couple of months touring and were very glad to get home. Of course, we live in a place that we are both quite happy with - can make a difference!

If you can swing it, try taking an extended trip (2 - 4 months) to see how it goes before you sell everything.

Just my $.02 worth.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote