Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Cover for Montana

I'm in the market for a new winter cover for the Montana. I had an ADCO cover that I bought in 2006 and the winds we had here two weeks ago destroyed it. I had an ADCO cover for my old Skamper and it lasted 15 years. I guess they don't make 'em like they used to.

I am looking at an Ultrashield by Camco. They seem tougher and the straps that hold it on seem to attach further up on the sides.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You've already had experience using a cover so you know most of the pros and cons. But, there are many who will say don't spend the money and I'm one of them. I've seen several RVs that were covered and ended up with bad mildew stains that couldn't be removed and many abrasions where the cover rubbed on the edges of the RV.

I do believe, however that if a person had a cover that was form-fitted for his/her RV that that might prevent most of the abrasions. But I don't know how you prevent the mildew.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm with Orv ... they seem to abraid the white trim pieces and scuff the front and rear plastic/fiberglass caps more than protect your fiver. Of course I'm saying this living in a state with perpetual WIND!I would imagine Nebraska has acquired several Kansas RV covers over the years. I you have the area and the money, one of those metal carports made for fivers would perhaps be a wiser investment. 14'W X 36'L X 12'H run about $2300 - $2500.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
mike

M.O.C. #7296
http://www.discountramps.com/camper-...LAID=298241726
a forty footer for 144.00 delivered you can't go wrong good for a year or two the fit is loose and there are no door zippers but.....
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:15 AM   #5
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I have a Calmark cover for mine. Yes there are pros and cons of using a cover. I cover mine, as where I store my monty, there is an orchard very close by. One winter I lost my Adco cover as it had ripped down the center, came down around the rv like a pair of pants. By the time the replacement cover came, which was the morning that I went to deal with the ripped cover. I did not cover it back up, as I had a trip coming up. When I went to pick it up to wash before the trip, it was cover with little yellow spots, bee dodo from the bee's flying back and forth from the orchard. It took me a lot longer to wash to get them all off.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't know if it is of interest to anyone, but here is a different alternative cover that I looked at last year for the boat and the fifth wheel. The web site is:

http://www.touchlesscover.com/rv-covers.php

They are on the expensive side, but no lifting, no abrasion, and seems like it made pretty well from what I researched.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We had an ADCO cover for about three months...two of those it sat in the garage before I had a chance to bring it to the storage site and put it on the trailer. When we went back a couple of weeks later, the cover was hanging in shreads...it had just fallen apart! Camping World was really good about taking it back...we decided to just get our money back and go topless.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
We have the Tyvek Designer Series cover we got a camping world. Fits and works great. I was pretty impressed with all the straps and weights to help throw the straps under the trailer, it fits tight and does not move around. Keeps all the leaves and sap off the trailer. I wash the trailer before i put the cover on too. I will say it is a beast to get on and off. (I'm still pretty young in my opinion and covers are work) But i have a big recycle bin trash can that i pull it off into and store it in when not in use and pull it out from there too that way I always know where the FRONT is 37 feet of cover can get confusing! LOL just my 2 cents.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There have been several complaints about covers such as these causing chafing on the finish of the RV. Plus, additional complaints about moisture collecting under the cover causing mildew. I don't know if I would ever consider covering my rig. Of course I couldn't anyway since we live in it full time and have for over 10 years.

The ripping of the material caused by high winds is also a common complaint.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I don't know if it is of interest to anyone, but here is a different alternative cover that I looked at last year for the boat and the fifth wheel. The web site is:

http://www.touchlesscover.com/rv-covers.php

They are on the expensive side, but no lifting, no abrasion, and seems like it made pretty well from what I researched.

Bingo
I called touchless to see about their solution because it looked pretty nice. Their off the top quote to cover my 37' Montana was about $14k. Nice solution, but cost about 25% of what I paid for the whole 5er. Their real forte is boat covers which they say are are much less expensive.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
As I said, they are on the expensive side, I guess I should have worded it on the EXTRAVAGENT side. I think that has something to do with the reason the Montana is uncovered!!!! Seems like for our 24 foot boat, they quoted me about $6,000, which is again the reason the boat slip does not have one of these on it!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I have used the cloth covers for years on various coaches and the covers only last a few years and they chafe the RV. At our previous house and this house, we have went with a hard cover.

Click Here to see photos: http://x.co/XhLs

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:02 AM   #13
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

I have a Calmark cover for mine.
Can you post a few photos of your rig with the cover on it? After using this cover can you provide any feedback?
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

You've already had experience using a cover so you know most of the pros and cons. But, there are many who will say don't spend the money and I'm one of them. I've seen several RVs that were covered and ended up with bad mildew stains that couldn't be removed and many abrasions where the cover rubbed on the edges of the RV.

I do believe, however that if a person had a cover that was form-fitted for his/her RV that that might prevent most of the abrasions. But I don't know how you prevent the mildew.

Orv
I would not have one either.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
If I cover, I will be getting the Calmark. It is made from a Sunbrella fabric and comes with a 6 year warentee. They are fitted and not cheap..about $1200 for my Monty, but 6 years is a pretty good warentee. The guy who washes a waxes for a living in one of the service bays at the local CW told me the difference in covering and not in So. Calif. is pretty dramatic within 3 years of ownership in favor of covering. According to Calmark, the Sunbrella fabric, if snugged down, should not mess up the finish.

Hopefully, I won't have the issue, there is a rumor that my storage yard is going to put hard roofs over the spaces. Yea...hope it's true.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker
I would not have one either.
Both pros and cons regarding the use of a cover have strong arguments but those arguments strengths weigh heavily on your particular climate. Hooker you live in Georgia where there is most always high humidity. Mildew would be a big issue for you. I live in the desert southwest where it is very dry so mildew is not an issue. My problem is that I live at 5400 ft. elevation and the sun shines here something like 330 days a year. I followed the majority suggestion and didn't cover when I got my previous trailer. It turned out to be a huge mistake because besides the decals fading to almost no color, they shrunk and split and curled. Besides this unsightly appearance, everything made of plastic on the outside of the trailer became brittle to the touch and snapped off like an uncooked noodle. Rubber seals and trim all shrunk to half their original size. This all happened in a short 2 year period.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote