Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
Credit Cards and gas cards for Campers

Hi Everyone, we have been full timing in one location on Long Island, NY for a little past 2 years now and are finally ready to hit the open road! This summer we are taking two months to travel to California, up the whole coast, and back. We like to be very organized and savvy, and would like to put all campground fees on one credit card, that potentially offers incentives to campers. Also would like to get a gas card that has good offers as well. Does anyone know of which companies would be best to do this with?

melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Incentives seem to blow in and out like Mother Nature's storms these days.

We have a Discover card, and every 3 months, there is a new twist to what is offered. Some months, like in the spring, they give you 3% OR more for all purchases for home improvement.

I am not currently aware of any card that specifically is geared towards campers, so, I will stay tuned for other answers to your questions.

One thing we do is to carry two cards, one is a Discover, one is a MasterCard. Some businesses will take one but not the other.

Be aware that some campgrounds will not take ANY charge card, cash on the barrel head.

But, again, this all changes as fast as lightening. Hard to keep up with it all.

Have a GREAT tour this summer!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The GM card we have saved over $10,000 on GM cars and trucks over the last 12 years
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have two CC and one Debit card three in all, when we travel I used to have all the major gas cards, but I have cancelled them all except for Flying J, when you use there card at there facility you still get cash price, my CC and Debit are from the same bank and I get thank you points for any purchase from either of them. I have seen that some gas CC that you just stick them in and pump, there is no security there if you were to loose it. there are some that require a zip code though. but most or all will take debit or a bank CC to pump and some will charge you a buck to pump using a debit card so I use the CC at no charge.
and the check book is just for certain CG that dont take CC's just cash or check.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We only have three C/C one is a debit and we have a GM and Sony card. We get gas/Diesel debits off our Sony card, only good at BP stations. GM card is used only for buying GM Trucks and Cars. We do most of our Banking at Wally World with the debt card to get cash. GBY.....

We also have a Flying J RV card for fuel only..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
An airline credit card (such as Alaska Airlines) will give you mileage when you use it, this may or may not be something you would like to do. We have used our airline miles for several free trips over the years. Since leaving Alaska we don't use it anymore, just our Credit Union Debit/Credit card (pay it off each month, no interest, no fees either). We get cash back at Wally world when we need it. One card does it all. Some gas company cards offer incentives but I find I was always looking for one of them (shell) when we had it. Not worth the angst of looking for the right station.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a wide variety of gas credit cards that we came by over the years but rarely use any of them anymore and one by one they get canceled because of inactivity. We use one card and that is our bank debit card. We are on a pay as we go basis so we are using $$ we actually have. If we don't got it we can't spend it. We do have a major credit card that we keep active in case of emergency.Interest rates are way to high now days to throw $$ away. If you do use one be sure to pay it off at the end of the month.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
There is a good sam visa card that offers rewards like camping and gas....More info on the site
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have three CC and one Bank of America visa debit card and mostly use the debit card 90% of the time. every year and a half I use one of the credit cards for Disel for about three months maybe four and sometimes a high dollar item if I have the money in the savings to pay it back in full whenever I deem fit. I hope it helps keep the credit rating up some. Incase we ever want to borrow for a new Monty. We are thinking about trading in the 07 in 2013 plus or minus.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I use a Cabelas Visa Card for everything, gotta get those points you know.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I use a BA VISA as you would a debit card. Pay it off every 4 or 5 days. Rarely use the debit card as I don't want to compromise the checking account. Have had three debit cards compromised in the past and now just use the one credit card. I also get cash rewards with the VISA.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
Thanks for all of the helpful info everyone! I am definetly going to check on the good sam visa, and it turns out my citicard has gas purchase rewards. thanks again!
melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #13
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We have the Good Sam credit card that accumulates points toward camping, membership fees, etc. Haven't tried to cash in on our points yet, so don't know if they are any better than any other rewards card.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #14
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
We put everything on an American Express Blue Card and have averaged over $800 per year in cash-back.
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
tim43...what is the grace period with BOA VISA before they hit you with interest?
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I forgot to mention, we never ever roll a balance. I haven't payed any C/C interest since 1976. So never roll your balance, the interest rates will be a heavy burden. We use a C/C for everything over $50.00. We just received over $250.00 in free Gas/Diesel for the 4 months in Gulf Shores. GBY.....
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

tim43...what is the grace period with BOA VISA before they hit you with interest?
I think it is 28-30 days. I never wait that long. The irony of it all is that on 25 March I checked my card via the net and discovered that someone had fraudulently used my VISA on that date in the amount of $1504.00. $1500 of which was a transmission shop in Illinois and I'm in NC. I immediately called BA VISA and reported the fraud and as all three were pending, the bank was able to deny payment. I did get credit back for everything. Waiting for an new VISA card to get here in the next couple of days. These days, it is check your account daily or twice daily in order to be able to react quickly to fraud.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
C/C fraud has happen to us on several different occasions. BOA and GM took care of it each time without question. Thats why Delaine and I both have different account numbers. Each time the fraud happened the C/C companys had to close the Account number and then we had no C/C until they mailed another one. Its a good idea to have different account numbers. Also check you accounts every day. With the economy the way it is fraud will happen more often. GBY...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
I put almost everything on an AA / City Bank card. They have called me twice now when charges did not make sense and they were denied. The last time I went to Maui (see photo below)the mileage accumulated paid for first class both ways. Always pay the total balance and have never paid interest. Would have liked to drive the Monty there and been truly first class but ...
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
American Express is our card of choice. Ours was issued during the rewards craze of the late 90s. We get almost 2% cash back that is applied to our Feb statement as payment. No fees and we pay the entire balance each month so no interest charges. We also carry a MasterCard for where the American Express is not accepted. It also pays cash rewards but not as good as the AMEX. Plus it has a lower credit limit so not as useful. This is how they are limiting their payouts to us. They will not raise the credit limit even though we have stellar credit.

We prefer cards with a cash reward. It does not limit when/where we can use the card. Our personal preference.

Keep in mind one thing in the debt or credit card decision, consumer protection laws are written for the benefit of credit cards and not debt cards. It is more difficult to get your money back when using a debit card in a dispute or fraud event. Even if you get your money back because it is a debit card the money is out of your account until they finally decide to refund you and put the money back in your account. I had this happen last year with my HSA medical card. Almost $1200 was taken from the account fraudulently. Took me 45 days to get my money back and in that time the money was not in my account for me to use. While with a credit card it too may take as long but you will not be charged interest on the amount while it is being disputed, you will not be required to pay the disputed amount until resolved, plus your cash is still in your account.

So if you keep a healthy balance in your bank account or if it would be difficult if the money was taken from the account, I would avoid using the debit card or get a 2nd bank account and only transfer the money over as it is needed.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote