Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Icehouse in the snow

Several have asked for photos of Icehouse in our new campground. Well, I was finally able to get some photos looking out of the RV at the snow. The white blob out our window is snow that was cut away so we could park Elly Mae - it is about 9 feet high. The truck is parked beside a mound about 11 feet high that runs approx 500 feet along the campground road. The car and truck are parked across the street from another mound about 10 feet high - notice the 8 foot fence. Hey, it is now spring and we are getting another snow storm. I just love the snow.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/DSC02820.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/DSC02819.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/DSC02823.jpg

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Enjoy Ozzie!!!
Tammy
Old 04-09-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Alaska does not have a "crazy" farm. They are all out playing in the snow!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bernie and Tammy, I'm soooooooo glad I don't live in Alaska right now! I'm so sick of these Ohio winters that we are finally going south next winter! Patti likes the snow but she is not the one shoveling it so I need to keep your pictures to show her next winter.
However, I would really love to "visit" Alaska some day for maybe a month, I marvel at the beauty of the state.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Tammy is this new park open all year or will you have to move again?
How do they plow for you guys in the winter? You can't move your trucks every couple of hours or do you?
Chuck
PS beautiful place and its good to be back on line I'm sure
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:45 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi Chuck, yep they are open all year. The couple that own it now (Dave & Lynn) bought it from Lynn's dad who opening it in 1964. So this is truly home - the actual house and property. There is a small mobile home park in the back and tons and tons of RV spaces. Continental breakfast in the summer, shuttle pick up to all the touristy things, mechanic on site, bar/restaurant in the office area, small convenience store, ice cream store. You get my point. And it's all cheaper than what we were paying at that other place. This is the biggest (and best) park in Seward!
Dave has a snow plow on the front of his pick up truck, a small john deere and a huge mama of a machine (the tires are 5' tall because I stood beside them and they are as tall as me!). I think it's called a front loader. Anyway, it would move a house!! No, Bernie doesn't need to move the truck. However, we got up this morning to an additional 6" to 8" and still coming! Since we bought that truck in Georgia we didnt' get 4x4. When we shipped it up here, did you know it still didn't have 4x4? Hmph. But he got out of the snow just fine this morning! I, however, have an AWD car as backup - just in case!!!! I love it up here!!!!
When y'all coming?
Tammy
Old 04-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Bernie and Tammy,
I can't even imagine how you even got Elly Mae in there, experience I guess. We would love to visit Alaska, but will need to wait until it warms up a little.Ha Ha Seriously, probably not this year but maybe 2009. The last time we were in Alaska was 1999 for a cruise in August, almost froze to death in Glacier Bay, 40 degrees on deck watching the sights!(remember I'm a Southern CA girl) Everyone kept talking about it being Fall in Alaska in August, I guess Fall comes early in Alaska. Anyway we would love to drive through Canada and visit the interior of Alaska, but we know we would want to take our time. We have dear friends that maybe moving to Anchorage, so we will see what develops there. Stay warm and thanks for posting the pictures.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I guess I'm not too sure what it would take to put me up there. Maybe a good paycheck...lol. All that propane cannot be cheap.

That is some mighty deep snow up there. Being from Minnesota I can appreciate both sides of that. It is pretty, but...
Thank you for posting then pics! I just had to see it.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
So Icehouse, are the snow skeeters really as big as the summer ones?
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Yes they are as big, and they have claws!!
Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We won't be in your area, but in your state in May of 2009. We are taking a 14 night cruise out of San Francisco to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Galcier, Icy Straits and Stika. Looking forward to seeing your neck of the woods.

Have you been to any of the towns that we are going to? I would love to do tours outside of the ship and do local things. I have found that when we cruise the local things are so much more intersting than booking with the cattle on the ship.

Brrrr..... how cold is it going to be in May??????

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Colleen! I haven't been to any of the towns you mentioned. Bernie has. Both Ketchikan and Skagway are HUGE tourist areas and there is tons to do. Look online at the Chamber of Commerce sites for each town. You'll find a bunch. The SE is not on the road system and after living off the road system in Western Alaska for a few years, I'm staying on the asphalt for a while!!!

It will still be cool in May. The SE is warmer than we are (they are a rainforest believe it or not) but you will want to dress in layers. Cool in the morning, warm in the middle of the day and when the sun goes down BAM! Dang cold.

Have a great trip!
Tammy
Old 04-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Tammy I am just glad the black tank is fixed LOL. I love snow but not that much!!!!!!!!. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Tammy & Bernie, you both along with the Matthews are inspirations to Dick & I. We're planning on Winter Camping in Montana this year. We'll be in either Eureka or Whitefish which I believe experience a bit milder winters that both of you couples are currently.

We are gleaming a huge amount of information, tips & tricks from reading about your adventures. Thanx so much for sharing.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Kevin and Sharon, fall doesn't come early (August) in Alaska. WINTER comes early . . . in August. I lived in Alaska, not as far west or as exposed to wind and water as Bernie and Tammy are, but this old Texas gal got a heck of a surprise when one day in August was sunny, cool, and perfect hiking weather, and the next day was Day 1 of being snowbound off and on for the next 7 or 8 months. I have to admire Bernie and Tammy because those kinds of severe weather conditions double and triple the effort in nearly everything you have to do outside of your home.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Tammy, maybe the snow is not that bad to deal with. I had to get up early this morning and wash the thick yellow pollen from all the pine trees and blooming azaleas off the car,truck and the monty. its like living in a yellow snow storm. Not that kinda yellow snow though.

Where in Seward is that RV Park. We were there in 2000 in the City RV park down close to the Bay Front and it was wonderful. If all goes right we will be back in 2009 (Summer please)for couple of months and intend to stay in Seward so we can hike the glacier.
Randy
I'll send you all the pollen you want if you would like some.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #17
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
No, no that's ok. I don't miss the pollen. Thanks anyway!

We are at mile 6.5. Just a hop, skip and a jump to the road that takes you to Exit Glacier. You may remember the volunteer fire department on the left hand side of Seward Highway just before you got to Seward. If so, we are stone's throw from them. Back in Bear Creek.
Be sure to let us know when you're coming up. We would love to get together!

Summer? Wimps! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Tammy
Old 04-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #18
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Hey, Patty--if you guys are near the Dillon area, here's your invitation to stop by and see us. We also have a 50-amp hookup and water, all the comforts of home! You'll love the Whitefish area (haven't been to Eureka).

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote