Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Electrical Management

OK, we are going to try our hand at boondocking, (Circling of Montanas at Quartzsite in January). I will be buying a Honda 2kw gen and 2 golf cart deep cell batteries. Is there anything else I will need to connect this up and become operational???? I'm thinking a battery monitor of some sort, other than the silly light on the wall thing. I don't want to get elaborate, just want to be able to run microwave occassionally and run the TV at night along with the furnace, Or will I need a furnace at Quartzsite?

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Phil I think I remember reading that it was rather "nippy" but that's only for us lower 48 folks. I doubt that you'd have a problem.
How many years up North? Your blood hasn't thinned to the lower 48 yet has it? Only one summer / fall in CA. -)))))
How is the adjusting going? What if any have been the biggest changes between the great North and the lower 48?
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:18 AM   #3
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Phil, the microwave with the single 2k generator is a marginal operation unless you have an inverter type of microwave. The generator is 1600 watts continuous, 2000 surge, so if you have anything else running, it won't handle it, and you'd be surprised at how much else is using power.

Several people, including Doug Henry, have external tanks for the generator, which make life a lot easier.

It does get cool enough in the evening for the furnace, believe me.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Phil, I do have two Honda 2000 generators but I usually only use one at a time. Several of the members only have one generator and get by fine. As Bob has mentioned I do have a 6 gallon gas tank that helps so I do not have to be filling up the generator all the time. Others do carry extra gas containers and just fill up daily. Last year it was cold at Q and we did use our heater a lot. I do not have a battery monitor other than the light on the panel in the Montana and have not had a problem with the two 6V batteries keeping there charge.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil, You can plug the honda into you unit via 50 amp, to 30 amp, to 15 or 20 amp adapters. The output plug for one unit is the standard 112v plug. When plugging in this way you use the 5th wheel converter to charge the battery as well as run any 110v needs, but are limited to the generaters output. Be sure you get the model that allows you to connect 2 together for 30amp output, incase you decide later you need that. There are 2 models one that allows the dual unit connection and one that does not. With the 2 together you can run one air conditioner, or anything else in the 5er. Down side is you need gasoline for them, and they only hold about 1.5 gallons. That is about 4 hrs at full load, or about 8 hrs at medium load (per the manual).

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have this Gage, it is panel mount with a digital readout telling you how many amps you are consuming D.C., but go to a solar panel and inverter seller and find a meter that is multi function, giving total amps, peak, average and so on. I have one at home on my home inverter and 12 golf cart batteries, don't remember the name of the darn thing.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/9c001321.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This is what you need, I have a similar one, lets you know exactly what is going on.
XBM
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil,

I have the very XBM monitor that Ozz shows. You need to be able to somehow monitor your batteries so you don't use more than 50% of the power. It is very handy to know how many amps you are using at any one time, you'd be surprised at what can bring down a system. Anything that uses a heating element is not a good idea, just ask Alice's last hammer-broken-in-pieces hair dryer!

We do not have a converter connected and cannot use our Honda EU2000i generator to power the microwave, but we do have an inverter that does power the microwave without other external power besides the batteries. We do use the generator to power some electrical devices while we are charging our 6 6-volt AGM batteries, but prefer to charge them using the solar cells...much cheaper, quieter, and very green!

The problem with the inverter is the price, pure and simple way to much money, unless you like freedom more...and if that is the case, might as well add solar panel or two or four!

Last year at Quartzsite, we did not use the furnace at night, just when we got up in the morning. We are not only cheap, but very thin blooded too, Alice grew up in Alaska......and you know what those folks are about.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Chuck, 14 years in Alaska. We really enjoyed it in the beginning, then kind of got locked in, if you know wheat I mean. Long winters and short summers finally go to us. My biggest problem here in the lower 48 is the small spaces in the parking lots, Seems like everything is made for compacts. Just glad I don't have a dually.....

Thanks to eveyone else for the info on electrical management; Any thoughts on battery brands?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
In my brief time as a Fulltimer I have come to the conclusion that space is more precious than money.

How many of you only have one portable generator?

What can you run on just one generator? It sounds like the Microwave isn't going to work. What about my wife's hair dryer or the coffee maker?

Do you store the generator(s) in the front or the back of the truck bed? Why?

Should I buy a generator before Quartzsite or buy it once I get to Quartzsite? Any suggestions on where to buy a generator?

So far the only place we have camped without full hookups was the Spring Escapade and there we still had electric (Thanks Orv). Outside of Quartzsite how often do you use your generator?

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:13 AM   #11
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
How many of you only have one portable generator?
I have 1 Honda EU200i

What can you run on just one generator? It sounds like the Microwave isn't going to work. What about my wife's hair dryer or the coffee maker?
It can run the the microwave, a hair dryer, or a coffee maker, but ONLY 1 at a time, while "Boondocking" I keep the refrigerator, and hot water heater on PROPANE ONLY, I use it to charge the batteries, power my wife's hair dryer, and use the microwave almost daily while Boondocking (When using the appliances, you should not have the generator in the "ECONO" mode, as it sometimes will kick the generator out while it is ramping up)

Should I buy a generator before Quartzsite or buy it once I get to Quartzsite? Any suggestions on where to buy a generator?
Never having been to Quartzsite, I'll leave that answer to someone else
I bought mine from Alamia Power Euipment, on the internet I paid $ 875.00, with free shipping, but that was several years ago, what the current price is you'll have to check.

How often do you use your generator?
I use it 3 to 4 times per year for "Boondocking", and probably 1 to 2 times per year for "Stick House" power outages, see my Post For Honda EU2000i Owners, describing using a 4 circuit 15 amp transfer switch for your home.

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Grant and Kathy,

Last year, we bought our Honda EU2000i generator at Quartzsite. The price was about the same as it was everywhere, maybe a few bucks more or less.

We have more batteries than most people, we use them. (6 6-volt). Once they are charged...we don't need the generator. We also can charge our batteries using solar.

As experienced boondockers, we have pretty much figured out our solar vs. generator amp usage. We disconnected the converter, and use the inverter. We do not run the microwave on the generator, we use the inverter and batteries for the high output usage.

We will be happy to share our generator with you at Quartzsite for a couple of days, then, you can make your own decision on whether it is worth carrying. It is about freedom for us. The combination of the generator and the solar panels gives us more opportunities to live where we want to live. We prefer to live away from RV parks when we have the chance.

Let's see, most RV parks charge $20/day..into ~$900...you'd have it paid for in 45 days....

BTW, we carry ours just above the black tank dump handle...tried several places, including in the truck, in the front etc, most of these places were real back breakers for me.

Hope this helps.

Only 82 days until the Quartzsite rally!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
How do you vent the generator? Did you make some kind of exhaust system?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Mike,

I guess you are asking me the question...NO, I just store it above the handles...I still have to pick it up and carry it outside to the 5ver 50a plug and plug it in. See why I like solar better?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Mike mine is built in 5500 Honda (discontinued now) it's LP no add'l exhaust as it has a muffler under the 5er. It looks like a motorhome setup.
Works fine for us and is a real saver when problems arise.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:58 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have 2 Honda's - EU2000i with the parallel kit. We use them a few times in a year, but they are nice to have when we find ourselves in a situation like we had the other day: we were driving across west Texas (boy is that a longfar!) and I got tired and didn't want to go on the additional 30 miles or so for an RV park. We stopped at a rest stop, plugged into 1 Honda (we didn't need A/C and an additional high-draw appliance) and I chained the Honda to the rear hitch (you could use the landing legs or an axle). Powered up the satellite dish and watched TV.

As an aside, we both said in the morning that we probably had one of the best nights of sleep in the last few months! Even so close to traffic on the Interstate!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Michael,

Spoken like a real possible boondocker..Hang in there, in no time you'll figure out that the best campsites are free!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #18
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
simonsrf,

You know, we are contemplating getting a few more gallons of unleaded (it is cheaper than diesel) and heading out to the boonies. Quiet and tranquil...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #19
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Robbie & Alice thanks for the offer to share your generator at Quartzsite and thanks to all for answering my many questions. Right now I am leaning toward buying at least one generator as a retirement present to myself.

Only 79 days until the Quartzsite Rally.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:58 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We would recommend the Honda EU2000i generator, but this morning via email, we received this special from Costco for the Onan Cummings generators. This price is good, and we all know the quality of Cummings!