Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ford Heart Attack - Conclusion

Some of you might remember my post in June about the engine failure in my 2004 Ford 6.0 PSD (refer to
Ford Heart Attack)

Ford has been very supportive throughout this adventure. When the dealer in Longview WA went on strike (first time in 34 years), the Ford area rep convinced them to ship the truck to another dealer (in Portland OR) where the repairs could be completed. Eventually they replaced the engine and turbo (about a $10,000 ticket I am told). We picked up the repaired vehicle in July. It has never run better! Over 19 MPG in the 600 mile trip home and once we started towing the trailer, better mileage than we had ever received on the I-5 corridor. We recently completed a five week trip covering over 3000 miles with no trouble.

During this time we were also working with Ford on a buyback. Since Ford was unable to locate a 2008 model equivalent vehicle with the options we had (and wanted), they agreed to let us order the exact vehicle we wanted. It was being built while we were on our latest trip. When we returned, the truck was sitting on the dealers lot. We picked it up last night. What an improvement over our old 2004 model (which is still a pretty nice vehicle). It is too early to say how well it will tow and what mileage we will get as it only has 39.5 miles on it as of tonight.

Ford is exchanging our 2004 for a new 2008 model. The only charge is a "milage use" fee based on the miles driven before the first engine problem (18K). And of course we had to pay for any additional options we added to the new vehicle. Ford pays the title and registration for the first year, the service plan restarts, of course the new warranty applies, and all after-market options are being moved or re-acquired (at Ford's expense).

In addition to the Montana decals (they paid for replacements), they are buying a new Truxedo tonneau cover (the one I bought earlier this year only fits 1999-2007 - the 2008 has a different length bed due to the new step tailgate) and installing a new fifth wheel hitch (they were going to just move the old one but someone decided that would leave holes in the 2004's bed). They also ordered a new dash cover and are refunding the cost of the bed liner (I decided to not have one in this truck). All of this is the make the new truck equivalent to the old one at no cost to me. As I said earlier, all I am paying for is the "mileage use" fee and the new options I requested.

All in all, this was a deal I couldn't refuse. I am not a fan of the new smog requirements and the impact on mileage but my equity position went up significantly. I wasn't going to own the 6.0 motor once the warranty was up anyway. I can trade this new 6.4 vehicle in on a another brand today (if necessary) and only have to put up a token amount of additional money. This is not the case if I were trading in a 2004 6.0 PSD.

The really bizarre aspect of this tale is what my dealer is speculating will be the fate of my old 2004 PSD. Despite installing a new engine, turbo, and worrying about leaving holes in the bed from the hitch, they believe Ford will crush the truck to avoid the disclosures required if they wholesaled it. What a waste!

Carl (n Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Carl you haven't changed at all. You are quite the story teller. LOL

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Carl, I can't wait to hear all the details while you are in Quartzsite. Glad to hear that all has worked out and that Ford really does stand behind there product.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glad to hear that Ford has stepped up to the plate and is taking care of their customer.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #5
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Carl,
That's a sweet deal, too bad Ford may smash your old truck. The new 6.4 should do a great job for you.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
That sounds like an equitable deal to me. Glad they stepped up to the plate.

I went to a Pontiac Dealer tour years ago and watched them pull cars off the line because they got out of synch and the colors were wrong. The tour guide said they would go to the crusher, as from here they still only had a raw materials value. I wished the Dealers had that same attitude!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #7
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Enjoy that new truck!!!
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:05 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carl and Susan,

Glad you got the new truck. I am looking forward to seeing it at Quartzsite.

Did you know there are only 98 more days until the rally at Q? Amazing how time flies!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote