Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Diesel noise?

I know I'll get a range of answers, but wanted to see what they were anyway. It may help me in my decision-making (I'm a "diesel rookie.")
Question - What effect does the noise from any diesel pickup, including yours if you have one, have on you, your significant other, campers around you or other people in general?
My wife is sensitive to noises and thinks the diesel will possibly be too loud when traveling, when idling, and when around other people, especially in campsites. (She also doesn't like the fumes.)
I think the diesel will be better in the long run, but don't have real-world experiences with one.
Any inputs will be appreciated.
Thanks, in advance.
Larry

Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
We just got our first diesel only a couple thousand miles ago, we got a current model and I can tell you the noise sure isn't what it used to be. We have to open a window to really notice it, and then it brings a smile to my face (guy thing ). Going down the road with the air on you can barely even hear it at all.
I have yet to see any black smoke, and people behind me don't seem to mind either. Idling at the campground the odor isn't offensive - probably not as bas as our gasser was.
It must be the new generation - they've come a long way since the old rattlers that sound like they're coming apart.

Oh...my wife LOVES it...now we can go anywhere without worries at all.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I have to Back up my Buddy Ozzie, The years of noise Diesels are long past. Inside the cab you hear nothing. Outside you hear it a very little, slightly more than a gasser. The fume's are not anything like the older diesels. All the tree huggers have taken care of that.... The newer Diesels are the choice of probably 80 precent. I have the habit of letting my diesel run a few minutes before I pull out to warm things up, and after a long haul I let it idle 5 to 10 minutes while I am setting up and that is to let the turbo cool down a bit before I shut it down. I have not had one person complain while that is going on. I would think someone would say something if it were 5 AM or 11PM but that would be for a gasser also. I can only say, have her take a ride to the dealer's and have a few test drives... It's not like driving into a truck stop with 50 rigs idleing. safe travels John OH BRANSON IS GREAT IN 2008 see you there with your new DIESEL......
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Those are good questions Larry. I would agree the best is to take the DW and go try a few out.

What I have experienced with diesels may be somewhat different now with the newer diesel engines for 2008, but -
  • I refuse to run mine in the campground after 10:00PM or before 8:00AM, as it is noisy as hell
  • The truck, and everything it touches smells like diesel. After traveling, even the trailer smells like diesel exhaust, but to me that is better than the "rotten egg" smell from unleaded fuel
  • The diesel fuel nozzles at the gas stations look and smell like they were soaked in used Halvoline, and the ground you are standing on while fueling looks like your garage floor back until you finally sold that worn out '59 Pontiac Bonneville
  • They are quieter inside the cab, but only after they are warmed up, and only at highway speeds
  • You still have to wait in line at the gas station behind the Volvo, but not the puny S80 type
They are great trucks - It's always a rush of testosterone everytime it starts!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
April,
The new diesel trucks have been modified somehow to not be as loud as they used to be. Our new Dodge is not too much louder than my Stang, although there definately is a different sound going on. I have not noticed any bad fumes at all and our truck no more disturbs people than any other vehicle, that's all in the timing of life which is unpredictable. If noise and fumes are a factor, don't allow either to have an effect on your decision. Think more of the comfort riding down the road, the power to pull the Montana, the cost of driving and just what feels good for you both.

Larry,
Being a "diesel rookie" and thinking that a diesel will be better in the long run, is an interesting position to be in. Get ready to start taking notes.

Lisa

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I know that a lot of the older diesels, and a few of the newer ones, sound like a set of wrenches in a clothes dryer. In my cab, mine has a low rumble, but standing in front of it makes conversation difficult. It has enough mass, though, so it keeps the high frequencies down. It's not much noisier than some of the big motor homes. Like Brad and John, I try to shut it down as soon as the turbo cools, and keep idling to a minimum. Leisurely breakfasts and short driving days help hide the noise.

And, as Brad points out, you really don't want to get behind me in a gas station when I need 100 to 200 gallons of fuel, and it's only coming out of the pump at 2-3 gallons a minute (but at leasst there's something to talk about). I love the truck stops where they pump at 20 gallons a minute or better. Just don't drop the handle.

Most diesels provide increased peace-of-mind, safety, and reliability that helps offset the chunk of change you pay for them.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
I'm voting with the diesel owners on this one for all of the reasons mentioned. After getting by the few negatives (like price and maintanence), most everything else is positive. Hook up to a trailer that weighs almost twice as much as your truck, then head for the road; you won't look back. The newer ones aren't as noisey, they really don't stink like your city buses used to, and they don't smell like diesel fuel unless you're sloppy at the pump. They just effortlessly tow your trailer to your favorite spot. Did I mention that I like my truck? Good luck with your decision.
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have an '08 F350 Diesel and it is very quiet even on start up. When driving, it is only slightly louder than a gasser. I do carry a glove for refueling cause the pump handle usually has oil on it. As far as everything else, including the 5er, smelling like diesel-I don't notice that.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our new 3500 D/A is no louder than the DW's suburban. However, when the turbo kicks in or the Allison takes over in descending grades, that is a different story. Interesting side-effect that we never, ever anticipated is when I am travelling with Sweetheart (our dog not DW) and the turbo kicks in, it gets very interesting in the truck. The dog goes into hyper-active mode from front seat to back seat and over and over. I guess their keen sense of high pitched noises really gets aggravated by the turbo whining.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
The newer models are a lot quieter than the older ones and the smoke really is just not there. I had a 99 F250 p.s. and it was louder and smoked some. We are pleased with this one and as for as fueling up i use the disposal gloves and no problem at fueling. We have not had any smell in the camper at all. The truck is very quite going down the road.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
To add my two cents worth. Besides noise. The diesels for pulling loads are far better designed for the job. Especially going over hills. In the long run, with fuel mileage and longevity of the engine the extra initial costs are worthwhile. As for noise the big reason for the quieter engines is "Direct Injection". DI engines are much quieter and easier to start than a PC or "Pre Cup" engine. Engine electronic management helps as well. The CPU being able to change timing at an idle. As for consideration for our CG neighbors that should be practiced at all hours. Our Diesels are no louder than the V10 with Flowmaster mufflers and Megaphone tips.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice Brad..Now that is telling it like it is..I have not yet seen a V-10 with Flowmaster Mufflers and megaphone tips pulling anything.. The new diesels are vey quiet and the new fuel smells good. But I can hear that Dodge Cummings a block away. I had special clothing for diesel driving and Helen washed them separately. Now you can not hear my V-10 running at all from inside the cab and I drove a Ford 6.4L for two days and it is very quiet but I can hear it running from inside the cab and did not even have my hearing aid in. A diesel motor is not the right choice for everyone under every condition and the new diesel motors are not suited for every day driving involving short trips.Our V-10 does just fine dragging this 3400 anchor around all over the country. Will always remember Helens words as I lamented that we got over a 9 % grade in NM at 50.7 MPH, speed limit 50MPH and a Diesel would have done much better..Said Helen..."we didn't need to do any better." The truth hurts....Our next TV will be a diesel because I never owned one of my own..but this V-10 is a brute.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Larry, this is just my opinion and observations. The new ULSD diesels are far quieter than their predecessors. My Dodge is much quieter than the prior year's diesels of all brands (talking 3/4 and 1 ton trucks). I think the Ford and GM are a little bit quieter than my Dodge, yet this one is much quieter than older diesels.

We do not hear any more engine noise in the cab than do those with gas engines, even when cold. In fact, I can't hear it at all with the windows closed but my hearing is not great, either. With my prior diesel, when I needed to leave early in the morning and we were in this park I'd park across the street the night before so I'd not wake the neighbors. With this diesel I do not need to do that.

Rich is right about hearing the older Dodge Cummins coming but he won't hear this one coming.

The new ULSD diesels put out about the same amount of pollution as gas engines. The diesels no longer put out black smoke. Nor diesel smelling fumes. It's uncanny, it's not even diesel like except in how it handles the Montana. It is noisier outside than a gasser but far quieter than yesterday's diesels.

You still have to deal with some diesel pump handles that are fouled with dried diesel. I carry a work glove in the door pocket for fueling, just in case. And I do watch where I step around the pump.

I suspect if you take your wife for a drive in one of the new ulsd diesels you'll both be very pleasantly surprised.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 AM   #14
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Just a few opinions and observations from a long term diesel owners (never actually owned a gasser)....

We have never owned anything but diesel trucks and cars. Yes, the trucks idle louder than gas engines, especially when cold. At campgrounds, 1/2 of the TVs are diesel, so the added noise is acceptable. Like Brad, we try not to drive around the campground at night. If we are planning to go out in the early AM, I like to park near the exit, usually at the campground office, rather than at our site. The smell is something we never really notice except once in a while if idling in traffic with windows down. Diesel motors in cars are very quiet. Most people don't even notice... I think part of the reason why the trucks are louder (at least in the past) is that is what the manufacturers think people want. Compare the insulation in the engine compartment of a MB or VW diesel vs the big three pickups. The cars are tightly insulated and designed to absorb the motor noise. Trucks, no insulation what so ever and wide open all around.. hopefully those with 08s are starting to see this change as the reports of quieter motors seem to be the norm finally.

Just my opinion, but I think a lot of the negatives (sound, smell) are from the way they are driven by some people. Diesels don't need to be pushed like gassers. If you let the engine do the work, slow, even take-offs, plan your passing, leverage the weight/hills, etc, etc, you will almost never see black smoke. Empty these trucks will idle up to 10MPH or more on a level. Let the truck get rolling before giving it more fuel, amazing how much quieter and more efficient it can be. I see a lot of people jump on them, turbo fully engaged, pulling away like they are drag racing. This is noisy, smelly, causes dirty black exhaust and one practice that I think gives diesels a bad reputation for noise, smell, and smoke.

Keep the RPMs in the torque power band and let the transmission do it's job. Mileage will be great and you'll get there safely. I not saying poke and tie up traffic... use the power when needed, just lean on the torque, and easy of the Horse Power... Don't be afraid of running 200K or more miles on one. Our vehicles (M-B E300s) run 300K with no issues. Maintenance we find to be much lower than a gas engine. Oil changes/fuel filter changes every 15-20K, injectors 150K or so.

We find the cost of ownership to be far cheaper, but maybe because we keep them 10 years of so. If we traded every 3-4 years, the cost would be a more significant factor. At 10 years, 200-300K, most 1-tons gassers are worth nothing. With a Diesel, motor, $3-5K resale typically; enough to recover to added cost of the engine; plus fuel savings over the long run. Why a Pickup diesel is 5-8K more than a gasser, when a car diesel premium is only $1K is frustrating. Sure the motor costs more to buy for the big three vs building their own in house gas engines, but I really think what drives price of diesel trucks is old fashion supply/demand and what the market is willing to pay for the romance of a diesel motor. I won't go down the road of, "why so many diesel pickups are out there as passenger vehicles..."

A lot of times people ask me if we didn't tow would we still go diesel. With all the very capable big blocks and V10s out there, we could go with a gas engine. For us, it is great to have the added power of the diesel, but what really keeps us in them is the long term durability and lower cost of ownership of the diesel (both cars and trucks) over the years. My answer is usually, if we traded in every 3-4 years at 100K or less, we would consider gas engines (both car and truck). For us, Diesel motoring is more durable and lower cost over the vehicle life span than gas. We are pushing our current car a few years beyond what we usually do as VT and a few other states have banned new diesel cars for the past few years do to emissions. Our 95 M-B, now pushing 340K is still running strong, but boy are we ready for a new one when the emission friendly 08's hit the streets in all 50 states.

Just my two cents and experiences... hope it is helpful and good luck with your buying decision.
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Don't you just love it! I don't think I would ever tow again with a gas engine model. I've heard some of them that are much louder than my diesel, what with their dual exhausts and straight pipes. They roar. In comparison, my diesel just purrs. And man, those hills in California, Colorado, Virginia, West Verginia, etc., are nothing for this little truck.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:52 AM   #16
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Richfaa calm down, when I said V10 I did not mean your V10. And I have been next to a guy with a V10 Ford Flowmaster mufflers and megaphone exhaust. How do I know... easy V10 logo on the side of the truck. Flowmasters again easy. the level of noise and the big red Flowmaster sticker on the window and the megaphones were easy as well. The great big chrome things sticking out the back and the fact when he started it up he had to let everyone know he had all this by gunning the gas pedal. It happened to be a V10. Could have been a 454, 460, 400, 350 Ford, Chevy or Dodge you get the idea. The point was gas or diesel and regardless of what hour it is, being a courteous camper goes a long way for all. It did not bother me that he had the flowmasters or megaphones it was the maner in which they were used. I personally am a fan of the mufflers and have had them on some of my trucks in the past and probably will again. They do help an engine breath better and improves fuel mileage and power. The megaphones serve no pratical purpose but to make noise. The Diesels are a bit more noisy than a STOCK gasser but with a bit of courtesy the benefits outweigh the small problems associated with Diesel engines. As for at the pump I keep a supply of disposable gloves with me for fueling and checking oil. The reason the handles are oily on the diesel pump is not that there is no spillage from gas. Diesel does not evaporate like gas. And if you think there is no residue on the gas pump handle... you are just fooling yourself. It come down to a personal choice as well as personal responsibility to be courteus.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh I was not excited..I don't even know what a flowmaster what ever it is//is...What I have found out after about 13K miles towing this V-10 all over the country is that they get a bad rap. 85 % of the time..maybe 90 % of the time there is no difference gas or diesel.We drive right along with them on the interstates and tpks. Now on steep grades/ long pulls and at high altitudes the diesel stands out. the V-10 will not out pull a diesel on a steep grade or perform as well at high altitudes...At least my V-10 will not.but we still get up the grade with no problem. The MPG on the diesel is better but the gap is narrowing with the new diesels. At higher altitudes my V-10 gets 2/2.5 MPG better and can be as good as a diesel..Since the diesel does not care were it is it gets the same MPG sea level or 7K feet Most folks that I know towing with Diesels change oil and filters every 3-5K miles as I do with the V-10..If in Arizona more frequently. It cost more to change oil and filters in a diesel than a gasser.Longevity..The diesel of course..however..lets see a show of hands....how many folks are towing on a regular basis with a 1997 Diesel truck with 300K miles on it????Most folks do not keep a TV past the Warranty period....The school I drive for has 3 Gas 12/15 Passenger school busses/(Chevy) the low milage one has over 138K miles on it .The one I like to drive on small charters good old #6 has over 165K miles on it and runs strong. remember that over the last 6 years I have 5 times more diesel miles under my Foot than gas miles so I know both motors. I got this gas Motor because I would not buy the Ford 6.0..figured I could wait till the new motor came out then go diesel .. I have learned much about the V-10 and like I said up to 90% of the time this V-10 pulls the 3400 Anchor anywhere the diesel does with ease. The diesel is of course the better motor .I will not argue that point..but The V-10 isn't bad.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We love our Duramax and will never go back to a gas truck. The majority of the people we talk to don't even realize we own a diesel. Like everyone else, the newer ones are really quiet.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #19
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Love my Duramax!!! Very quiet inside and out! Plenty of power no obnoxious odor, no smoke , LOTS OF POWER!!! WOHOOOO, Love towing with it.
Diesels are great rigs, they are finally something I am proud to own and not yell at because theya re noisy, smelly an dsmokey!!!
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #20
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
The new diesels use electronic controls that fire mulitiple times per power stroke vs the old system that blasted one shot of fuel. The progressive addition of fuel dampens the explosion reducing noise( got that right from a cummins) engineer. The duramax fires the enjector 3 times per stroke and future engines will fire up to 5 times amking them even quieter. Personally for me even the old loud diesels are less tiresome for the driver compared to a gasser running at 3,000 rpm all day long. I HATED listening to that gas engine work to haul a load, with the diesel its no different empty or loaded up. Our current 06 durmax is my first diesel and as long as I have to tow I'll never ever go back to gas. I get 19-20mpg on the road empty, 15-16 around town and a solid 11mpg hauling the monte thru the mountains. Its pretty sweet to set the cruise control and almost never drop out of overdrive when hauling over the road.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote