Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Squeaky brakes on '07 GMC 3500

As most of you know, I am not a mechanic. So, any ideas on how to stop the brakes from squealing? I have had the tires rotated (and while off, compressed air blown into brakes), I've used brake cleaner and plain old water. Driving me nuts!

Thanks,

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
snfexpress, I have the same brake squeal and I also had it on the 2005 3500. With the 2005 I took it back to have it checked and they pulled the wheels and check. Couldn't find any problem. Its just one those things that is a common thing. I don't understand why it happens, but it seems to come from the passenger side. Touch the brakes lightly and it goes away?????? But I'm sure someone might be able to help us.... GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Sorry, guys, can't help you, my brakes are quiet...at least until I made this post!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I'm not an expert on brakes anymore, but I will offer all I know.

Several years ago all brake pads and shoes were made mostly of asbestos. These linings didn't really have a very long life, and then asbestos was found to cause cancer. In an attempt to prolong the life of the linings, and do away with the asbestos, they started using semi-metallic, metallic, and ceramic materials for the linings. The more metal or ceramic the linings have, the more they squeal, especially when they get hot or dirty, and as the rotors and pads wear, they get a glaze on them that compounds the problem. Having the rotors turned, and scuffing the pads with very course emery cloth will stop the squeal for awhile, but in most cases, not indefinately. As I said, I'm no expert, and someone who is may have a better answer and cure for the problem.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Get a softer lining, I owned a fleet of school buses over the last 17 years, (all GMs) half of the buses would squeal when the drivers applied the brakes, If it got too bad we would put new lining on and the noise would go away. The hard lining that came on the buses would warp the rotors pretty quickly too. Softer lining was a lot easier on the rotors. Down side... softer lining doesn't last as long. It took a few years to find the right lining to fit the bill. To be easier on the rotors and last a decent length of time.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have the same problem. Out dealer has talked to GM and they are going to skim the rotors and change the pads under warranty. We complained about this from Day 1, the initial response was to "run them in for a while", well they have not got any better. I pretty much agree with LonnieB. I don't have high expectations for a total cure. On ours, it seems to be the rear discs that squeal. I was somewhat surprised to see that I seem to have 4-wheel disc brakes, I had thought GM had gone back to rear drums. (BTW, our '01 did not have brake squeal anything like our '07, and it had 4 wheel discs too). Anyway, we are on our way out the door to the dealers for this work, I'll let you know how it turns out.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Lonnie is right. The dealer will turn the rotors and put new pads on but as soon as you break hard a few time the glaze will return and so will the squeal. I have been down that road with other units. You can do as John stated and go with a non metallic pad and the squeal will go away. However you will be changing pads more often. The squeal on my unit comes and goes so I just live with it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:59 AM   #8
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
The brakes on my 2007 3500 only squeak sometimes. I can't find any pattern as to why they squeak or why the squeak goes away. I agree just live with it.
You could turn the radio up louder and then you won't hear it.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks - it looks like I'll just live with it.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
IF IT'S UNDER WARRENTY I'D HOUND THEM EVERY DAY and GOTO A DIFFERENT DEALER. [SORRY BOUT CAPS]

Between you and me ..did you glase them over while doing down grades with controller on too low a setting??? Is this a squeal from day 1 or recent?
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote