Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Tint windows ....

Well just went and got the driver and passenger windows tinted. All other windows were factory tinted. And Joe did a great job, guess this is the 6 th Truck Joe has done for us. I also have about 3" done at the top of the windshield, its done in Limo tint, and really keeps the sun out. With the tinted windows it cuts the sun light and helps keep it cooler inside during the Summer. I need a set of Nerf bars that reaches to the rear dually finder. Need to be able to reach the in bed tool box... GBY....

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
For nerf bars, I put a set of ICI wheel to wheel with kick-out. The majority of wheel to wheel bars go straight and under the dually fender flare. These kick-out like the flare and make it easy to get into bed.

Did you get the tint to match the rear windows? If so, what percent was it? I am planning on doing mine, along with limo tint on the sun roof.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Will check on those nerf bars. As for tint its not a perfect match to the factory tint. I believe its 35 percent, but you have to look close.

I had limo tint on the sun roof before and had no problem. But was told today that the limo tint on a sun roof holds heat and will crack the sun roof glass??? So I didn't do the sun roof this time. Maybe later, after a little more research. Good Luck... GBY......
Old 06-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I have not heard of the cracking before. Thanks. I will be checking into that too.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
As for tinting you might want to check what the law says on the driver and front passenger for tint. You might get a ticket if more tint then what the law allows.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Thats true about the tint on the front, I think its no more 35 persent. Due to Delaine's eye condition we have a medical certificate that gives permission to have more tint. GBY....
Old 06-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
That should do it. I found out that the tint will cut down night vision so be careful. I had it on a car and at night was hard to see things.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Checked on the limo tint on sunroof today with 2 different dealers. Both said it could crack the sunroof as to the amount of heat it holds. One said he would only put a "bronze" on the sunroof as it reflects the sun. Other said he would do it, but he was wanting me to know the possibilities.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had every sunroof on my sport cars tinted. I went with the standard 35% and it really worked well, especially since the roof was already lightly tinted from the factory.

Lindy,
I have my front door windows at 35% also. You are sure going to love having them tinted. As long as having the driver windows tinted is legal in the state your truck is plated, it does not matter what the laws are in other states. California will not allow you to tint your front windows, but my truck is plated in Washington, so there is nothing the CHP can do about it. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Oh Contrey Montana Sky, once you enter into a state you are subject to there laws, which would include window tint.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I agree! I wouldn't be telling CHP there is nothing they can do about it.
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave, your correct we have tinted all 5 of our Duramax/Allison TV. We also tinted the sun roof on our last 3500 1 ton dually, had it done in Utah. It was 35% and didn't have a problem, I really think Joe our tint guy just didn't want to do it. Will get it done later, also will get Delaine's Chevy HHR.

With Delaine's eye condition, we have a doctors perscription that gives her permission to do what ever tint she needs. We have showed this in several states such as Utah and the tint person said you want have any problem as long as you keep that letter in the TV or car.

The 3 inch strip accross the top of the windshield is Limo tint and really stop the suns glare, we tint all windows that aren't done at the Factory. Just a point we put Limo tint on the rear window of Delaine's Chevy Silverado S/B, want do that again, it blocked all the sun but at night you couldn't see out the rear window... GBY...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sorry guys but, I disagree...

I was down in San Fransisco in March with my truck and was pulled over and ticketed for my window tint by the CHP. I rolled right on down to the court house and went in front of the traffic court judge the next day. He dropped the ticket because I am not a resident of the state of California and their front window tint law does not apply to my truck. If I were to move to the state, before I could license my truck, I would have to have the tint removed, but do not have to if I am visiting the state. As long as my tint is legal in my "resident licensing" state, it is legal in all states.

The following comes directly from the State of California DMV laws,

"No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state and which is operated on the highways of this state may be equipped with one-way glass or any adhesive film or other glaze or application on or in the front windshield, side wing vents, or side windows on either side forward of or adjacent to the operator's seat, which reduces the light transmittance of such windows."

The key words are no motor vehicle REQUIRED to be REGISTERED in this STATE...

Lindy,
Does your sunroof have the shade that you can close to block out the sunlight?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave we do have the pull shade, and it does help some. However it is a very cheap looking. Delaine's HHR has a hard pull shade and when closed it blocks out the sun and looks just like the roof.

I also agree, about your court appearance. The first thing came to my mind was the drivers lic issues. Most states want get into other states laws. However Cal is different and a few other states (Texas) are requireing you to have a Class A type lic for towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs also yesterday I read were they are now grouping the new Super Duty F-450 as commerical type Truck. And will be under the same laws or similar to them as the commerical trucks, must follow. If registered in Cal. you must stop at all weigh stations, and display a new sticker on the door of the Truck to identify it as under the commerical guide lines. I haven't seen this in writing. Its just another way to get MONEY???

I have said for a long time that it was just matter of time before the requirements for all RV'er to have to get a different type lic. just as all Truck drivers had to get the CDL a few years back. All that done was create more goverment to make more MONEY thats the key. People who can spend more of our money, but its always easy to spend someone else money. GBY....