Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Fifth Airborne/Sidewinder and Sliders

Has anyone had any experience with the new Fifth Airborne/Sidewinder combination? Is it really a replacement for a slider hitch on a SB pickup? I have just bought a 2007 Duramax, short bed, 2500 Silverado HD and need to have a hitch installed for my 2004 3295RK. My old hitch was a non-slider and I had no problems turning (or pulling), but it was installed by the dealer about 2 inches behind the axle. I don't think that was a good way to go. I am looking at the Pullrite 18k superslider, the Reese Signature series 18 slider (manual), and now -- at this Fifth Airborne/Sidewinder combination with a standard fifth wheel hitch. I know that a new hitch installation will be farther forward than my old one, so feel a slider may ne necessary. It is all very confusing. I am interested in any final suggestions before I purchase something -- hopefully this week! On the slider hitches (Pullrite and Reese), are there any tailgate clearance problems when sliding -- or other issues I need to be aware of?

Glenn

gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glenn,

Just my perspective, but that sidewinder thing gave me the shivers just looking at it. To me, it ran the stress factor numbers off the scale, especially with the long nose on your 2004 and some of the inherent problems with stress.

In my own opinion, go with the slider - any type. I believe the correct positioning for the hitch should be over the axle or slighty forward, never behind. My slider is about 1-1/2" in front of the axle on my shortbed (tow position).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I emailed Airborne a similar question a couple of weeks back.
The pinbox is fixed at the truck hitch and has a 20" arm that projects rearward and becomes the pivot point for the trailer to turn.
I asked what kind of twisting forces the hitch would impose on the TV and/or the trailer.
Here's their answer:

"The 5th Airborne Sidewinder will be available in February, and yes I think you should consider it for your turn problem. Yes, the pivot is permanently relocated on the Sidewinder. The stress is still placed on the hitch, there is no twisting movement on the trailer frame. Please let me know if I haven’t answered all your questions."

The Sidewinder moves the pivot the same as the 5th Airborne Sidwinder.

I am really leary of the Sidewinder. IMO, When you add a 20" arm, I don't see any way that it cannot increase twisting moment. Think about how a person uses a "cheater bar" on a breaker bar/lug wrench to increase the amount of applied force to break wheel lugs or bolts loose?? As I said, that's just my .02C worth.

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If a 3" extension between the Lippert 1116 and 1621 pin box drops the weight rating from 19,000 lbs to 15,500 lbs, imagine what 20" would do in theory.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
gherman49
Established Member

M.O.C. #5673
Thanks to all -- you have scared me sufficiently to leave the sidewinder alone. How about the Reese and Pullrite hitches, clearance issues with taigate, etc. I just talked to Pullrite and they assured me the 18k superslider would work on the 3295 even though my kingpin is about 9 1/2 inches behind the leading edge. I have a Lippert 1621 and they said I could use a quick connect capture plate that is easy to remove if i needed towing by another manufacture hitch. Any recommendations on which hitch to go with?

Glenn
gherman49 is offline   Reply With Quote