Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #41
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
when we were on an airplane flight last month our pilot must have been bored because he gave us some "interesting statistics". Said that the airplane used about 2 gallons per mile. Paul decided that our 11-12 mpg towing was pretty good.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:50 AM   #42
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
As to the "fish stories" about mpg, it has always been a sad truth that some people exaggerate, not exactly sure why. Perhaps they believe it makes them appear less knowledgeable about their purchase if their TV does not average as much as the next man. Like Native Tex says, I doubt the numbers for any of our TVs will be that skewed.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 AM   #43
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Right on, Wordsmith, with this additional observation:

Many of the 'better' MPG figures are possibly based on one fill up (obviously under the best of conditions). Nothing wrong with that. That is often the figure that gets quoted. Another base for these figures, as stated in several posts above, is the onboard computer.

The only real way to compare MPG is over the same route under the same conditions with the same load--not usualy reasonable to do. Next best is to keep an exact log over a long trip (more than a thousand miles) with fillups related to towing miles only (or non towing miles only). And to note the driving speed.

I am pretty satisfied with my figures (It's all in fun, isn't it?), but the best I can seem to get with towing ONLY is just over 12 MPG. I wish I could get 14, I wish I could get 13, but...

And I am towing the smallest of the Montanas with a diesel. I do drive pretty consistently around 65 miles per hour. When I note my spreadsheet following a trip, I find several segments with higher MPG, but then I realize I was doing some driving around after setting up camp.

Anyway, I'm glad for those who get better mileage than I do, and wish I could do better.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #44
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
David, How much does speed affect the mpg? I am consistently around 55 mph on highways, so I wonder if that might account for slightly better figures.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #45
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I think you are on target with that observation, Wordsmith. There is no doubt that there would be considerable difference in MPG at 55 MPH compared with 65 MPH. I've just never had the patience to give that one a good test. I always find myself going at the higher speed.

You know how us young folks are -- always in a hurry!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #46
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
People that I've talked to that have the DuraMax all say they have the 3.73 rear end. Needless to say, that should get better mileage than those who have the 4.10 rear end. I don't know anyone who has an "F" series truck with a 4.10 rear end that gets better than 11-12 mpg towing. I get 9-11, depending on wind conditions.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM   #47
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604

I average 19-21 mpg empty on the highway, and 16-18 mpg in town empty. While towing I average 11-13 mpg.
With one exception, the trip we took from So. IL to Texas in Jan. We left here with the wind blowing from the southwest at 15 to 20mph all day. I drove straight through and averaged just over 9 mpg, thats the lowest I have seen. I believe speed and Wind both play a large roll in mpg.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #48
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I failed to mention when I started this topic that I have a 3:73 rear end in my 7.3 Powerstroke. I have a CC, LB, Dually. I have had some warranty work on my engine approx. 4 times, mostly some problem with the No. 8 injector. Each time they did work it seemed to make my MPG worse. I was down to 9 to 10 towing till I got a performance tuner and changed the stock computer. That gave me from 1 to 3 more MPG.
I also think that the wind and speed make a major difference in the numbers, worse I ever had was going into Texas. Pushing wind is the worse.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #49
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am currently in Sunnyvale, Ca. left Spokane, Wa yesterday and drove staight through. The average fuel mileage was 20mpg, driving at 70mph with 3 people and luggage in the cab and a motorcycle in the bed. Hopefully the return trip on Saturday morning will produce the same mpg or better.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote