Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2006, 12:26 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Backup Cameras

I am considering the purchase of a backup camera as an aide to backing into tight spaces. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts - are these cameras worth it? What has been your experience?

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:52 AM   #2
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Two things come to mind. After about 3 months on the road pulling the fiver, I find that other than backing into a campsite, I don't back it up much. Secondly, maybe I could get used to a camera but I'd much rather have my wife standing outside toward the rear of the trailer, giving me direction and keeping me from hitting anything or anyone.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:40 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am going to get a backup camera but not so much for backing up.We really don't back up all that much anymore.most of the "up to date " campgrounds have pull throughs. We will use it as a rear view mirror, it works very well for that and covers that BIG blind spot behind your camper while driving down the interstate. Someone on this forum commented on that a while ago and it worked for them....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We used to have a class "A" with a backup cameara. It is the only thing about that rig that i miss. I used it mostly as a rear view mirror. As we speak, I am installing a cubby cam in Bubba with a camera on the hitch and a port to a cameara on the back of the trailer.

I have one place I back into where it will be a great comfort. We store the Cambridge inside in a garage that is 14 feet wide. Even when I have a spotter, it will be great comfort to see the margin between the trailer and thwall on the turn in.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I also use the wife but with two way radios. It's great fun watching her try to give back up instructions and sometimes frustrating on my part too LOL.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
This subject has come up before. Check the archives via search.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Ahhh, the memories !!! The very first time I had my wife direct me (hitchin' up in the yard for our first big trip), we discussed the virtues of a good "swamper". We worked out all the hand signals and the fact that I can't see her unless she's in my mirror (full size van with no line of sight), to supplement the signs with some verbal commands, etc. Here we go! She motions a little to left and back, a little more back, a little more right, a little more back, just a little bit more, and STOP!! and WHAT? WHAT kind of signal is this? She's now pointing left with one hand and making a "stop" with the other! I get out to see just where we are. I'm lined up PERFECT front to back and now only need to go left about 4 inches. I asked her how she expected me to slide the thing over sideways to get under the hitch to which she replied (and I'll never forget being so mad and frustrated one second and dying laughing the next ), "I'm just the swamper - you're the driver - that's your job!"

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
God love'em VanMan a good swamper or wife is hard to come by LOL!!See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The hardest thing I cannot get mine to understand is that if she cannot she may mirror i cannot see her. Try and get them to understand that, let me know if you do.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well you see I know that the driver must be able to see you in the mirror and I can remember that so..The wife backs the camper and I do the directing..works a bunch better that way.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

We used to have a class "A" with a backup cameara. It is the only thing about that rig that i miss. I used it mostly as a rear view mirror. As we speak, I am installing a cubby cam in Bubba with a camera on the hitch and a port to a cameara on the back of the trailer.

I have one place I back into where it will be a great comfort. We store the Cambridge inside in a garage that is 14 feet wide. Even when I have a spotter, it will be great comfort to see the margin between the trailer and thwall on the turn in.
Ok..we are looking at Rvcams.com for back up cams..Spoke to them and he says that the prices on the web site are "informational only" and As I remember without looking were about 100.00 less..However what I wanted to ask you is What is a"Chubby Cam" and where can I look at one????

Old 03-08-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The cubby cam is specifically designed for GM Trucks. There is a cubby hole to the right of the environmental controls that is sort of useless. The cubby cam is an LCD monitor that mounts inplace of the cubby hole hence the name. The result is an installation that looks like it was factory done.

Their website is http://www.cubbycam.com/

They are not cheap and there are lower quality imitations out there. But, The Cubby comes with very high quality color cameras. I figured for all the work of the install it was worth it. Two cameras, the monitor, an extra video switch and installation cables came to around $900.00. The installation manual is about the best i have seen.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
One other point about rv cams. The connection from truck to trailer is usually done with hard wire or RF. In reserching this, i came across a power line modulation scheme. The idea is the video signal is modulated on a carrier that is then routed over the power cable and demodulated at the monitor. Unfortunately the exixting version is only good for a monochrome (black and white) display. If anyone has an interest, the website is
http://www.nocablezone.com/
Old 03-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rats..My Ford Truck does not have one of those Chubby holes..Actually that is not a bad price..The Good Color system that we are considering is about 700. 00 with all the goodies.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:16 PM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I have a cubby hole, but at that price, I'll just have Karen keep telling me to move over 1 inch and we will be perfect!!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I just ordered one of these: http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...006010&DL=SCH4

A guy on another forum had purchased one for around $400.00 and was pleased with it. I figure its worth taking a chance at only $129.00. If I don't like it on the truck and coach, I'll use it for something else. I'll update when I receive it in 7-10 days.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #17
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi Fulltimedreamer Will be interested in the performance. Is it wireless? I bought one at Home Depot that was wireless but the 3400 was too long for it to work properly. A friend with a 2955 bought one and it works ok with the shorter distance. Please keep me informed. By the way, we are in Pendergrass until the end of the month. Where is all the warm weather? Thanx Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:45 AM   #18
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Dan,

This one is not wireless. I have a travel trailer and it is 36' hitch to bumper so I'm not sure wireless would work. The guy over on the other forum said he picked up extension cables at the local Radio Shack and it worked great. We'll see. I will use some sort of waterproof connection from the truck to the coach.

Welcome to Georgia. You never know what the weather will be like here in the spring. Enjoy your stay.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #19
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

I installed one on my Truck. I use mine for hitching as I have the TT. Works great. It has a 3" color monitor. Makes it soooo easy hooking up.

CSK (Checker Auto, out here in the West) sells the Kit for $149. Not RF, it's hard wired.

Happy Camping,

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:14 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azstar

Hi All,

I installed one on my Truck. I use mine for hitching as I have the TT. Works great. It has a 3" color monitor. Makes it soooo easy hooking up.

CSK (Checker Auto, out here in the West) sells the Kit for $149. Not RF, it's hard wired.

Happy Camping,
Steve,

That might be a better use for this thing. With the camera right over the license plate, backing up to hitch up would be a cinch. I wonder if I could get another camera to put on the back of the trailer with a video switch between the two???? Let's see...umh