Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Bio diesel

Has anybody used bio diesel in their TV? If so, Did you have to make any modifications? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Gene,
Make sure you read your owners manual about biodiesel. There could be trouble down the road by using the stuff.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have read some articles on it. The sales pitch sounds good.....but I have my reservations. Besides whether it works or not. The vegetable oil at this time is readily available and cheap. However as demand raises what will happen?
But at the same time we as a Nation need to find new sources for fuel.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I tried one tank of it. I fueled at the small station next to the Keystone repair facility in In. I noticed absolutly no difference between it and the normal fuel while pulling my unit home. It cost a few cents more than regular diesel but it gave the same mileage and caused me no problems. That is my only experience with it but I would try it again my Ford seems to like it.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
I have put only one tank full in and that was by mistake. It did not have it listed as biodiesel on the side that I pulled up to and when I looked at the other side of pump it read biodiesel. When I paid for it I asked if it was the same on both sides of the pump and was told that it was biodiesel. I did not notice any difference in it, but I was really apprehensive about puting it in a Durmax. I don't think that I used enough of it to hurt anything and have not put any more into it since. Chevy says not to yet.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Here are some other forums where you can get more info.
http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/
http://www.oilburners.net/
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Gene, on the super duty forum there is a link dedicated to bio-diesel. You do not have to be a member to view the posts(membership is free)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
They are using a lot of bio-diesel in the state of Minn. so perhaps soon a few more states will start pushing for it.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:25 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You will know when Biodiesel becomes a viable replacement for regular diesel. Exxon/Mobil will be buying up all the Micky D's, BK's, Wendy's, KFC's, Long John Silver's and any other restaurant chain that sells a lot of deep fried foods.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Biodiesel will be no different than ethanol in our cars, everbody had the old fear bug but now we pump it no questions asked. I met another driver for a tt transport company out of Indiana who runs the converted restaurant oil in his truck. He starts his truck on regular diesel then runs his truck for the long haul on the used cooking oil. I beleive he had about a grand invested to convert his truck and to process the oil. He had the converted oil in his auxillary bed tank. With the price of diesel,and the amount of trips he makes hauling to dealers,I am sure he has more than made his investment back. Look in the new issue of Mother Earth magazine their is a good article about Biodiesel and other Biofuels.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I run it in all of my farm equipment and trucks. It works great and the equipment seems to run better on it. When we change the oil it is much cleaner. On my trucks we get about 50 more miles to a tank.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Gene I have considered using it and will be watching this thread for info. Bio-diesel doesn't have to come from fry-oil. Some great renewable sources could be soy beans or hemp. It would be nice to put our farmers back to work.

That's my political statement for today.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:42 AM   #13
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
The Bio-Diesel available in my are is soy based. You can get it up to a B-50 mixture (50/50 bio, #2D) if you buy it in bulk. At the pump it is a B-20.
Ford allows up to 5% bio according to the owners manual. I believe it is more because with some of the homemade stuff, the quality can be suspect. I know of several people running B-100 in the 6.0 PSD with no ill effects.
Some of the older diesels will have problems due to seals in the fuel system not being compatibale with the bio. It will clean the entire fuel system and I understand the lubricity is better also. Drawbacks are that is will gel at a little higher temp so winter use has to be closely monitored.
I have run up to a B-10 in mine. The truck seems to really like it. Quieter, smoother, less exhaust smell, and a touch better mileage. I will begin using it more as it's availability increases.

Aaron
abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:42 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The comment about cleaning the entire fuel system raises a question in my mind. I have not tried bio-diesel but I used to use 10% ethanol gasoline in our gas vehicles. When that gasohol was first used in a vehicle that had some years and miles on it, the alcohol would loosen the rust and scales in the gas tank and after a number of tankfulls would eventually plug the fuel filter. Happened to me. Enough to keep the engine from running. Once the filter was replaced there was no more problem.

Could we expect the same "problem" switching to bio-diesel in an older vehicle? The two fuel filters on my Ford diesel are far more expensive than those we used on the older gas vehicles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:49 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
Along the same lines...... I have read that the Bio stuff runs much cleaner. Too bad it is even more expensive than the dino stuff. I hope it comes down some.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You can't re-process fry-cooking oil??? That's too bad. McD could become one of our major oil companies.

What ARE they doing with all that French Fry oil? Don't tell me they are recyling it back into the fryers???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #17
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

You can't re-process fry-cooking oil??? That's too bad. McD could become one of our major oil companies.

What ARE they doing with all that French Fry oil? Don't tell me they are recyling it back into the fryers???
Dave,

A coworker of mine runs McD's and everybody else that will give him their cooking oil. He purchased an auxiliary fuel tank and added a tank heater and some other hardware he read about on the net. He has a 94 Ford (out of warranty) and says it runs very well.
It smokes a little more that dino but smells darn good when he starts it up.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's funny!!! I think I heard something about some trying to recyle fast food fry oil.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:51 PM   #19
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
My 05 Chevy manual says no more then 5% biodiesel. So until out of warranty will pass.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #20
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I work for a school district and we had tried bio-diesel in a portion of our bus fleet for the past three years. We had a number of problems with maintenance on those buses and this year we switched back. I don't really work in the Transportation Department I just work with them, but if it would help I could get more data from them.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote