Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Leaking Basement doors

I replaced the seals around each of the three and one side still leaks inside when it rains. Any suggestions? BTW, followed postings and bought an ice maker and put it in washer closet. I leave the door open when making ice and no problems. Also bought memory foam for the bed from CW, what a difference! Thanks.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I will also be watching for suggestions on this leaking problem. My seals also roll up and stick to the door, which causes it to leak. Replacement even did the same thing.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have some of the same problem and I keep saying I'm going to do something about it but haven't. I wonder if replacing the RV weatherseal with something from Home Depot would make a difference. Maybe the felt weatherstripping? Anyone try this yet?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
HOpefully Glenn and Lorraine will see this post soon, he replaced his, but with something different. Glenn, we need a photo!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Try sealing the outer joint between the door material and the trim around the door. The water may be seeping between the trim and the door material, it happened to us on our 3280.

>|===|\
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
LAURA
Established Member

M.O.C. #1304
I HAD THE SAME WATER PROBLEM WITH THE SEAL ON OUR COACH AND FOUND THAT IF YOU REMOVE A QUARTER INCH SECTION OF THE SEAL AT EACH LOWER CORNER SEAL BOTTOM OF THE COMPARTMENT THIS WILL LET THE WATER OUT THAT IS TRAPED AROUND THE COMPARTMENT DOOR. YOU WILL FIND THAT IF YOU GET IN THE COMPARTMENT AND HAVE SOMEONE TURN THE HOSE ON THE COMPARTMENT THAT THE WATER THAT DOES LEAK AROUND THE DOOR WILL BECOME TRAPED AT THE LOWER EDGE AND SPILL OVER INTO THE COMPARTMENT.
LAURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have had the same problem with both montana's we have owned.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:31 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

HOpefully Glenn and Lorraine will see this post soon, he replaced his, but with something different. Glenn, we need a photo!
I almost forgot that leaking problem. When we first got the Monty and hadn't even started rving I discovered the seal around the basement doors was totally useless. Both doors leaked like a sieve.
Anyway I found a weatherstrip called "SuperR", manufactured by Henkel the same folks that make Duck Tape. Their home website is at http://www.duckproducts.com

I totally removed all the old crap of a weather seal including any left over adhesive form the frame. I than applied the SuperR to the door itself, NOT THE FRAME, and have not had a leaking problem. Getting any left over adhesive off the frame is important. If you don't it will pull the new seal off.
The advantage of applying it to the door is it is protected as you move stuff in and out of the basement. A lot less chance of dragging something across it and having it come loose or tearing. After 2 years and 60 campgrounds later it is still as good as new.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, did you buy SuperR online or at a home depot type store?

Laura, good tip and interesting solution. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, I believe it was either a K-Mart or Wal*Mart but not 100%. They could possibly sell it at Home Depot or Lowes as well.

I tried to take a pic but seening as the door is white and so is the seal it did not come out to well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the tip, Glenn. Last time out, I noticed that some water had made its way into the basement as the box for the battery charger was showing some mold. Next time I am at Wal-Mart, I will look for this product.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Glenn. I put it on my 'buy' list, too.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Eureka!! - I found and fixed the leak in the cargo door. - It is a real easy fix.
Look at the cargo door hinge at the top where it is screwed into the frame of the door. When it was screwed in at teh factory there was no sealer applied. There is a very small opening along the outside top of the hinge and when it rains it 'wicks' through to the inside, down the door and soaks the flooring. If you open the door and move it around you can see the crack opening and closing a little. I just put a bead of silicone along the outside top of the hinge. It is amazing how much water will wick through a very small gap.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the tip. I'd bet ours is the same way.