Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
fulltiming before retirement

hi, current plans has us fully retiring in 3 years and are considering selling the homestead and staying full time in our 5er or a new one in Spokane, WA area. Money wise it would be a good move, no interest on loans and park rent would be less than property taxes and current utilities. Downside, it gets down into the teens for about two months and has been know to go below zero for a week or more once a winter. Any input ...
thanks

Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
grey-ghost,
I am on Lake Roosevelt for the summers, and have found it easier for myself to put the coach into storage for the winter months. I do have friends who stay in their coach all winter down there as well as up here in Spokane. My suggestion is to talk to folks around area who do it and see what they think. There is the rv park in Medical lake off I-90 (Yogi Bear, I think) that is open year round and offer pretty cheap monthly rates for winter months. They even bring propane to your site and keep you filled up every week. Best of luck on your decisions.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A simple solution...Drag that Monty south for the winter like the rest of us SnoBirds. Can't beat not having to winterize, shovel snow, scrap frost or just plain freeze when it hardly ever gets below 40F. Sitting out in the evening in shorts and a tee shirt or going swimming in mid-February. It's the greatest.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:10 AM   #4
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
grey-ghost that is what we are doing, we no longer need such a big house and the upkeep and taxes add up to a lot of traveling even with todays fuel prices. The house is gone after the new year.
Joy and I will be fulltiming after the first of the year, Joy has retired and I still have to work maybe 10 more years. We will be wintering down south and the rest of the time in washington and else where. As for now when I hit land we take off, Joy has the rig mostly ready to go.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We are doing the same also. We are in the process of selling the house and already have a site in Florida for the winter. Karen's company has transferred her to Florida for the winter and I am looking to work for one of the companies that have the "snowbird" program, ie; Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Walgreens. Have already been called by Home Depot. We plan to spend the warmer months in Northern Illinois for the time being. Looking at about 7-8 more years of doing this. We will cut our expenses well over 50% fuel included.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen retires in Oct 06.We are not going to sell this big ole house right away.We will take a "lets see how it goes attitude" We are however making improvements that will make it more sellable, New carpets, touching up the bathrooms and kitchen, paint..just in case. We will snowbird, Fla Arz, Texas. We are keeping all options open. We figure that after the first year we will have a pretty good handle on which direction we want to take.My guess is that this big 2200 square feet house will go and we will downsize but not leave this part of the country because we like it here, execpt for the winter so we will snowbird somewhere. We have a lot of choices..so why choose now////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #7
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We have been retired since 95 and live in & own a duplex. Have great renters, thus enabling us to get away over winter months. I would love to go full time rving, but hubby wants that "home to come home to" But I think he really doesn't want to give up his garage.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Montana_1892
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1892
hi, thanks for all the input ... i'm kinda stuck at this job untill i retire, counting my military time, 35 years federal service. Civilian now and changes bases for warmer weather this isn't an option. Semi-retired in that they make me come to work, but with 5 weeks annual vacation and burning 5 weeks of sick leave a year ...
We do have friends that stay all winter at Yogi Bear ... they are members and said it cost $150 plus annual dues. In the warm months i can stay on base (RM) for $375 full hook ups.
We have been thinking of getting a new Monty ... the flat floor, larger Refer, and better axles have us considering that option. May make the move next spring ... taxes are paid till then.
Going to the Portland,OR RV show this week, see you there if any make it. Still looking to see what's out there, wish the guy from Keystone would get back on the new floor plan for the 3380RL, remodel.
Montana_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote