Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Sort of RV interest --Grandma's Cures

I don't usually send on this sort of stuff, but saw it today, and some of these topics have been recently addressed here on the Forum. Might be of some use, esp. the first one.....

PJ
GRANDMA'S CURES

Keep this on the Fridge

Did You Know That?.......Cleaning liquid that doubles as bug killer... If menacing bees, wasps, hornets, or yellow jackets get in your home and you can't find the insecticide, try a spray of Formula 409. Insects drop to the ground instantly.

Drinking two glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately -- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Did you know that Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Tablespoon of horseradish Mix 1 in 1 cup of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.
Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve two tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly -- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Coca-Cola cure for rust... Forget those expensive rust removers. Just saturate an abrasive sponge with Coca Cola and scrub the rust stain. The phosphoric acid in the coke is what gets the job done.

Smart splinter remover...just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters...To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine... a powerful antiseptic.

Heinz vinegar to heal bruises ... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly. Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Goodbye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor... Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites... All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear. Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief....It's not for breakfast anymore! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sure an interesting list of "fixes". Thanks
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Good old grandma
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I like things like this....simple, but they work. so many times we get caught up in the exspensive "store bought" items that we already have indirectly!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #5
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Here's one and it really works!
If you have infection on arm, leg etc and it taking a long time to heal.
Buy fresh cabbage and put one green leaf on sore. In no time it starts to draw out the infection. Change as needed.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Montana_4454
Established Member

M.O.C. #4454
Darndest thing when my one son was young he would swell almost double from a mosqueto bite. The dr. said if he ever got stung by a wasp to go straight to the hosp.
We left him with a lady one day and upon returning she said he had been stung sometime earlier by a wasp on his arm. I about had a heart attack but he was int the yard playing and upon checking his arm there was no swelling.She had cut a raw potatoe in half and put it on his arm and it worked. I never would have had the guts to try it myself but i saw it work.
henry
Montana_4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have another one. I am really allergic to bee stings. We were at my daughter's wedding rehearsal and I got stung several times (there was a swarm in the attic). This was before everyone had cell phones and someone went into the kitchen to call 911. The chef came out and said here try this. Wet tobacco compress put on each sting. It worked and we didn't call 911.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:44 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
We must have the same grandmother! Mine passed down many of those same remedies. I use baking soda and Vinegar for bee stings. Make a paste and apply. It dries and flakes off but the sting is "all better" as the grandkids say.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:01 PM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Back in the '30's when I was quite young I got a finger caught in a gear on a hay rake. Mashed it pretty bad. One of the old farmers there put a wad of chewing tobacco on it. Felt better shortly. Castor oil is a fairly good cough surpressant, too. A tablespoon of that and you don't dare cough!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote