Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2005, 02:18 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
School’s out for summer!

Well, today was the day—the last official day of post planning in the school district where I work! Wooooooooohooooooooo!

Though I love my job—most days—the last few weeks have been especially taxing; anyone who has ever taught in a public school system knows this! This year was exacerbated by a move to a brand new building to house our school. Though the thought of opening a new school is exhiliarating, I cannot say the same for having to pack for the move. Doing the yearbook and newspaper at my school, I have a mountain of supplies and computers that need transporting, so it was a trying experience what with all of the other end of the year responsibilities like interviewing applicants for an English vacancy.

Some of you might be interested in an article the local paper did on our school newspaper. Here is a link, http://www.waltontribune.com/story.l...1c42eaf878f776. Hopefully, it will work. I believe you have to create a log in to read it.

We return for pre–planning on July 22 and students report on July 28, so it is a short summer, but at least it is here. The batteries need a good recharging, and it is time for some serious camping!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Okay, the log in is rather tedious, so if anyone is interested in the article, here it is. If not, just flip over this thread. I apologize if this offends anyone, but I am proud of what my students and I have attempted to accomplish, and just wanted to share with people who I like to consider my friends, even though most of us have not met.

Press Pass: MACHS school paper tops state

by Robbie Schwartz

MONROE — J.D. Zuber tries to keep the school newspaper The Hurricane Watch edgy but fun at the same time, balanced against journalistic ethics.
That seems to be the winning combination as the Monroe Area High School newspaper was recently awarded the General Excellence award from the Georgia Scholastic Press Association. This was the seventh time since 1995 that the publication was bestowed with this honor.
“It is tough sometimes to get teens to understand this philosophy,” Zuber said. “I may not be the absolute best person for this job, but I can juggle all the pieces of the pie.”
The Watch has come a long way since Zuber first took on the teaching role of the class 16 years ago.
A University of Georgia graduate with a bachelor’s degree in English, Zuber remembers the day when he first started his duties.
Twice a week, he and members of his staff had to travel to old Loganville High School to use the computers there and eventually come back and strip their product together. That got old real fast for both Zuber and his class, so eventually they built their own computer lab to work with. Now, on average, they try to put out seven publications per year with the only outside help coming in the form of sports photography, using Jostens who helps with the yearbook as a source for the pictures.
With that being the only area where they use outside help, it is coincidentally the only part of the competition they have not won an award.
Zuber had actually been teaching for two years at MACHS before sliding into the role of teaching and guiding the newspaper staff. Originally with hopes of publishing a literary magazine, Zuber enjoyed doing the newspaper more and more and a year after taking over, his thoughts of a literary magazine were gone.
Zuber’s approach to the class, in addition to his philosophy, includes explaining to his students that deadlines and approaches to stories have to be different for a school newspaper. Calling time a “strange bird,” he tells his students that they have to find a better, different angle to a subject because often time can not be relevant to the story. They have to learn what high school journalism can do, and that it all can’t just be flat news.
It took five or six years before the Watch won their first award. They won first place for best front page layout, and then-editor Cory Malcom left Zuber with a memory of a lifetime.
“The look on her face was priceless,” Zuber said. “She went up, received the award, came back with a glow and a big smile and said, ‘We got wood,’” referring to the fact that we had received a plaque instead of a certificate. It was quite memorable.”
Zuber said that often the staff changes and the new students don’t know the infectious nature of having The Hurricane Watch’s name called out at an awards ceremony. But he is working on helping to establish a stronger feeder program at Carver Middle School. Zuber is looking forward to working with one of his former assistant editors, Jessica Thompson, who is taking over the journalism efforts at the middle school next year.
In addition, Zuber, who calls himself his own worst critic, has established a goal to re-dedicate himself to the newspaper and work with them closer and as much as possible. And he will do so with a new editor-in-chief.
“This year has taught me a lot. It has been a terrific experience and I had a great editor who inspired me to want to be the leader for the class,” Angela Thomas, the new editor, said. “The fact that you get to be the source of information and that everyone is going to know something because you went out there and found the information out is exciting. I am a little nervous about being the editor next year, but I think it will more exciting than anything.”
In addition to winning state awards, the Watch has also won awards in national competitions as well.
Both the newspaper and the yearbook, which Zuber also teaches, have earned gold medals in the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s competition and All-America awards from the National Scholastic Press Association.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, that's quite an honor, J.D.! You can be very proud.

I tried signing up for a login but am still waiting for the confirmation email. I have spam filtering turned off but checked it anyhow. Nothing. Strange. So, I'm glad you posted the article itself.

Thanks. Great job!

My 24 hr wifi card is about to expire and we'll be on the road the next 3 days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:47 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Congratulations, J. D., and congratulations to your students. I enjoyed reading the article and it reminded me of a fellow I met in Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta.

Your students are fortunate, indeed, to have a teacher, leader, and example such as you.

And congratulations and best wishes for a happy Summer.

With fond memories, David and Shirley
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
CONGRATS !!! Nice article!!!!

thanks for posting it!>G>G>G>G>

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations, J. D. There are many rewards to teaching but it's always great to have your hard work recognized. Enjoy the summer and the Monty.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Congratulations, J.D. sometimes the good guys win. Thanks for being there for your students.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote