Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Help on Extended Warranty thoughts

I am a Good Sam Member.
I can purchase CSP coverage from Good Sam for about $330 a year for $200 deductabel policy on our new 2005 Montana Mountaineer.
Or my dealer offered us a 7 year Preferred Service Contract with Choice Protection with a $50 deductable at a total premium cost of $1646. The GS CSP would probably be the same $330 a year or more as it got older and in 6 years would cost me several hundred more than Choice.

I know little or nothing about either one.
The Choice Plan sounds very good and seems to be pretty inclusive of course the first year as all is under MFG warranty. However as I understand it the towing and overnite expenses etc would still apply even the first year.
If you have Choice how has your experiences been with them? If you have GS CSP how has your experience with them been?
If you think another company is better yet what would it be.

Is it worth it or not.
Our unit has 2 slides, etc. We have no experience with extended warranties in the RV industry.

Your help will help allot. If one of these plans is better and the coverage is worth having then I will feel good in taking it. Lets face it several small out of pocket repairs/fixes could amount to the cost of this premium already. A refrig could easily come to more.

Thanks

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You really should decide on the warranty if it fits your needs. Some of us take it and others do not. I for one did not but then I can fix most of the problems myself. I feel that if things get out of control, then I will have to move on to another unit.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When I bought a previously enjoyed unit. I inherited 5 years of a seven year contract. Since the second buyer has no warranty, this was a prominant selling point. Mine is a $50 deductible. The transfer cost $75 and the previous owner paid that.

Buying a new unit may cause you to consider carefully. How long is your manufacturers warranty? Does this seven year contract start after the manufacturer's warranty runs out or does it run concurrently? If it is concurrently, then it is money down a rathole for the years covered by the manufacturer.

As long as you have a membership with Good Sam, you can buy CSP later. I would just bet that if your unit was in good shape and passed some sort of inspection, you could still buy an extended warranty in a couple of years.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bob & Carol,
I have the Choice Plan with the Platium coverage & $50 deductible. I have been 100% happy with this plan and would recommend it. I think your dealership is trying to pull some extra profit on you as I paid $1199 for it back in Feb of 05. It might be a good idea to call around to some of your other dealerships in the area and see if they offer it and find out what they are charging. Then see if your dealership will price match.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As previously mentioned, you have to decide what you want. There are many people who say extended warranties are not worth the money. There are others who swear by them. We have purchased extended warranties on many of the large $$ purchases we have made.

We purchased the 7-year extended warranty ($50 deductible)in 2000 with my new rig. At that time it cost $1250. It runs until May 2007. I was glad we had it in April 2004 when our refrigerator went south while in Bend, OR. We took the rig into an RV repair place (I think it was Jerry's RV). It needed a new cooling unit at a cost of $850 plus shipping of $250, and labor of $200. A new refrigerator costs $1300. The extended warranty covered the cost of the new cooling unit and the labor. It didn't cover the shipping costs. Since they shelled out over $1000, we purchased a new refrigerator (really and upgrade from what we previously had). It came with a 3-year warranty (1-year parts and labor, 2-years parts) and Dometic gave us the option of purchasing an extended warranty of 3 years. The extended warranty covers all 6 years with parts and labor. We were extremely happy that we purchased the original extended warranty with our rig.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We purchased the 7 yr. extended warranty. It also has a feature that if you don't use it, you get your payment back.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

We purchased the 7 yr. extended warranty. It also has a feature that if you don't use it, you get your payment back.
Which Warranty did you get that gives you the money back if you don't use it. We bought the 7 year warranty with the 100 dollar deductable, it was around 1400. dollars.
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our warranty is with Integrated Warranty Systems Inc. London, Ontario. 1-800-862-7184 or 1-519-672-8244. It cost $1304. Cdn. with $0.00 deductable with the option "Don't use, Don't Lose".
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:34 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you will get many different opinions on this one! some people swear by them....others swear at them! I personally don't believe in them...to me they are a scam! many items in your camper are warrentied long after the one year warrenty on the whole unit expires. some up to 12 years! all of your major componets, motors, refrig, toilet, microwave, tv, ect. ect. ect. all come with their own warrenty.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote