Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Late 2005/06 changes noted during factory tour

Today we went to the Montana factory tour, where the 2006 models are currently being built. We took some pictures of changes new to us. Some of these were introduced in the late 2005 models, the rest in the 2006's. There may be a few that were new before that but I was not aware of them since ours is a 2003. Here's a summary of some of the info with pictures where we have them.

1. The furnace was moved closer to the bedroom for better airflow, warmer bath/bed area.

2. New air intake location for the furnace:

3. king sized bed option (new in 2004 or 2005?)

4. Wall colors have less gray and white and are more creamy in appearance. More attractive (to us). Sorry, didn't get a good picture.

5. New cabinet hardware (handles) match throughout. Sorry, my picture didn't turn out. They're antique brass.

6. Water pipes are now just under the floor (late 2005 and later) with no chance to touch the frame.

7. Couches and recliners look like something out of a stick home. Large roll arms, etc. The couch was firm but comfortable. The recliner looked incredibly comfortable and the one I sat in sat as well as it looked.

8. Low point drains valves now in basement storage. Should eliminate the freezing problem.

9. New shackles. Much thicker, look much more substantial than the problem shackles many of us have.

10. In the past, some models had patio awnings that did not cover the entry door because of the grab rail positioning. That's resolved.

11. Bedroom TV is on a swivel tray.

12. End table has some kind of pull-up (not sure how this worked) checker/chessboard.

13. One (?) model previously had a problem with the furnace exhaust scorching the entry door when in the open position. Now there's a "bumper" there to keep the door from opening that far.

14. New nose graphics - note more blue, less red

15. New side graphics - more blue, less red

We really liked both the nose and side graphics.

16. New, one-piece rear window on rear lounge models. Also a dark tint.

17. One piece insulation under the nose, for less drafts. The old method was vertical strips of insulation.

18. The rosewood color is being discontinued because the company who provided the fabric went out of business. That doesn't mean they won't find a replacement but for now it's discontinued as soon as existing stock is depleted.

No doubt I've missed some things. If anyone (including Vicki) remembers other changes, please add to this.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the photos--we're looking forward to the opportunity to do a factory tour one day ourselves. Re: the checkerboard--our early 2004 has a table which looks somewhat like that. The board is simply a cut-out and can be reinserted in the table plain or checkered side up. Obviously, for play you move it to another location--one assumes that the plan was to use it on toop of the small table. Thus far, our 7 and 5 yr old grandkids have enjoyed the board.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:49 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you for the excellent report and post. Glad to hear that many of the changes are functional and not just cosmetic.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
we would also like to thank you.there great pictures and show some of the upgrades to our 05-2955rl,thanks again
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
The checkerboard cutout was designed to be removed so the heat can come up through the bottom of the table. Originally the table is over the heater vent unless you have moved it. The checkerboard is just a cute add on.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #6
GoChips
Established Member

M.O.C. #3762
Our 3400 is on the assembly line as we speak!!! Wondering if the changes you saw will be applied to all models???? I would imagine they would. When we ordered in April, they told us it would be an '06 model but that there wouldn't be changes. Obviously our salesperson wasn't in the know. Thanks for your great descriptions and photos. Will be anxious to see what we get.
GoChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:43 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Morning Margo and Wally,

The salesmen frequently are the last to know! They make running changes at Montana, they decide on an improvement, and they put it in NOW!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:08 AM   #8
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Thanks Steve. I noticed that our 2005 3475 (manufactured in January) had all of the features that I saw in the pictures except the double doors below the rear TV. Ours has 4 large drawers. The new location of the heater works great (wish the thermostat did the same). We too like the new paint job. Velda chose the queen size bed to give her more room on either side of the bed in the slide. Again, good job on the pictures.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren VA
2005 3475 Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel with Western Diesel chip and gages.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:15 AM   #9
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Al & Carol are absolutely right about the sales people being the last to know. Steve, great pictures. Our '05 2980RL was built in Nov '04 and was the first one (I think) to have the issue of the heater vent scorching the door. Keystone replaced the door. They were supposed to also give us the remedy to keep it from happening again, but didn't. The latch in your picture looks to be a little longer than ours and that's what they said they were going to do. Maybe I'd better give them a call to get the new one. Our unit also has the heater cold air supply on the first step just like your photo shows. We also got the new TV set-up in the bedroom with the king-size bed, both to our surprise. We were told that those two changes pushed up the price by $1K, but they didn't charge us. Shari especially likes the washer/dryer closet under the TV for hanging our coats. Thanks for the report.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would like to see the trail air pin box and suspension system as a option.That would make for a smoother ride and less stress on the Rv for the "power users". Forest River Cardinal offers it as a option and the system is made right there in Goshen. The system can be installed as after market and if you are handy you can do it yourself but it far less costly as a factory option. I've got this gut feeling that keystone may feel the competition and offer it. I am going to write them and suggest they do it or if they will factory install it on order. To me that would be the perfect Montana///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:36 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Let me see if I can answer some of the questions.

GoChips, I would think the way Keystone does things all the changes apply to those currently on the line. Understand that some things, like the doors below the TV, are model-specific. See below about the drawers/doors. Also, we probably saw your rig as we looked at just about every one currently on the line. Each rig has paperwork attached identifying what options, etc., and the dealer and dealer location. Is your dealer in Mt. Pleasant? I could not swear by it but that sure rings a bell. I know one was Michigan and Mt. Pleasant sure rings a bell.

Ken, I think the double doors below the bedroom TV is for the models that have washer/dryer in that location. Other models did have the four drawers. Those drawers are HUGE. Vicki was slobbering all over that bedroom.

I want to thank Mark Krohl, if he's reading this, for an excellent tour. This was our third Montana tour, including the one during the rally. Mark gave our first tour as well as this one and did a super job on both. He has "the patience of Job" to put up with three couples, all Montana owners, asking so many questions.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:18 AM   #12
GoChips
Established Member

M.O.C. #3762
Steve,
How exciting that you might have spotted our rig on the line. We are in Mt. Pleasant but our dealer is in Houghton Lake, MI about 50 miles away. Sure hope they were doing good work on that baby. Again, thanks for the posting.
GoChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 AM   #13
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Thanks a million for your post Steve. It is always so much fun to see the new modifications. Sure do appreciate you taking the time to share all the good stuff with us.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:44 AM   #14
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
Steve:

We're going to have to start calling you "sreigle- Official MOC Cub Investigative Reporter"! Excellent job! Glad Vicki wasn't in MY NEW Monty when she did that "slobbering" thing! Thanks for the report.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #15
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Great pictures, Steve! looks like you and Vicki are having a good time wjile leaving no stone unturned at the factory!

Of course, I wish they could have fixed the awning problem on the 2003 models; I intend to have ours for a looooong time!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Marc Krol gave our tour last summer.We also ran into him at the Cleveland, Ohio RV show Jan 2005.His card identifies him as District sales manager, Montana& Nountaineer so he really knows his stuff.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Great Photos and information Steve. When we were there we saw some Montana's in the parking lot and they had all those changes, very nice indeed. I still can't get past all the storage in our 2003 3295RK's though. Of course a new unit would be nice...after all they made 28 changes right after ours was delivered and since then many, many more.

Patty

Ps...It sounds like you are really enjoying yourselves! Say hello to the gang there, they really are a super bunch. I have never run into a nicer bunch of guys then we did at the service center and they really did a superb job.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:37 AM   #18
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Steve, Great pictures...Thanks for posting them...now I see what we have and what we dont!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote