Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2005, 10:45 AM   #1
Rex & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #99
Clean the galley tank?

After camping all winter, in the same site, with the galley tank open,I'm guessing it has a considerable amount of food chunks and grease built up in the bottom of the tank. Since I can't pour in a bag of ice before hitting the road, what would you suggest to add to the tank for cleaning while we pull it up the road? Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Headed out to Lake Tahoe for the summer, had enough of this triple digit dessert heat!

Rex & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I would put about 7 Or 8 gals. of water & a little bleach in it & let it sloch around. I never leave the tank valve open all time. I empty it and bath water at the same time. I feel it cleans them out better.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
They say Calgon helps, it is a water softener.

We never leave the galley tank open either, don't want the accumlation of food, greese and soap scum. Can go for 4 to 7 days before it fills, if we are careful, 2 to 3 if we run a lot of water, 1 or less if I wash Yorkies in there!

We also keep the gray water closed, for soap scum, many here at MOC with washer/dryer, do not, cause they have had the misfortune to forget to open the gray water tank when they do the laundry and have had flooding.

Enjoy the cooler weather!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I would use about 10 gallons of water and just a couple ounces of dishwashing liquid. If you could add some hot water just before leaving it would be even better. Do this just before getting underway and dump it when you arrive at the campsite. Don't overdo the dishwashing liquid as you don't want a tank full of suds. Remember it is dishwashing liquid you use to clean the grease, etc from your dishes. So it would stand to reason it will clean the grease, etc from the tank.

Like the black tank, I also only open the galley valve when necessary.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I've added a solution of Oxy Clean and hot water to ours before and it seems to help with odors and things. As Glen said about leaving water in it with whatever you may choose to clean it and move around to your next location it should take care of it for you. I also bought a Grey Tank deodorizer but can't remember if it is a cleaner?

We don't leave ours opened either much, but have before. Since reading this thread I don't think I will leave it open again. Very good points made here. Thanks everyone for sharing Gene, Carol and Al.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 04:17 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
All good suggestions I think. And once the tank is cleaned out to your satisfaction, preventive maintenance is always good. We have two little super fine mesh drainers we put in the kitchen sink drains. Before washing we wipe off whatever dishes,pots and pans we have(and there aren't many as there are only two of us!)with the used paper napkins from the meal. This gets rid of the worst stuff that can go down the drain. Whatever is left is caught by those nice mesh strainers. Ours were found at the local Dollar Tree.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote