Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2005, 01:29 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Brake Controller Placement

You folks have been really great with sharing your experiences with Nancy and I to help us get ready for the new Montana. Went to the dealer and hammer out some fine points. He showed me where he mounted his Prodigy brake controller, it is right under the steering column, I cannot see it while driving. Are there lights or warning things that you would like to be able to monitor occasionally as you drive. I thought somewhere above my right knee.
Any suggestions just where to located the controller that makes real sense?

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
There are some indictions you need to monitor, but usually at startup, and once in a while during routine towing. I'm sure I look at it, now and again, while driving, but it isn't a conscious effort. Our controller is mounted left of the steering column, at the bottom of the dash area, and protrudes about 1 1/2 inch. It actually sits outboard of my left knee while I'm driving. No problem entering or exiting the vehicle. just a real close fit to your knee when doing that. I've bumped it lightly a couple of times entering, but no pain to me, no damage to it or the mount.

It would seem awkward to me to have to find the controller at the dealer's suggested position in an emergency where you want to use the "emergency" lever on the controller to activate the brakes, for whatever reason.

JMHO, best regards,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bob,

Can you feel the wiring harness on the back of the Prodigy? If so, and it’s got some slack, (check to see if it’s tye-rapped to something as well,) you might want to reposition it, yourself.

While it’s not really necessary to see it, as PJ said, when you need to hit it, you need to hit it right now!

Like I did with my having a “professional” install my umbilical plug in the bed of our old truck, and had it better positioned in our new truck, you will learn from this lesson, and the next time you need it done, you’ll know to tell the pro what you desire.

Happy Camping!
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #4
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Bob,

I have always placed it right were your thinking. Seeing it is good but having easy access to the Manual switch is a must. When declining a steep grade and you wish to slow a little you just reach down and move the manual switch. It will slow you down with out any chance of a fishtail. It's like having a parachute on the back of your Dragster.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
I have a 2005 Chevy CC Sb. I mounted to the bottom right of the steering wheel. Does not interfer with leg and accelerator and very unobstructed. I have the buckets so it is near the console.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I mounted right of the column with the prodgy you just set and forget !
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:47 PM   #7
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Our brake controler is also mounted to the right of the steering wheel and about my knee, where I can see it and manually activate it with my right hand. This is comfortable for me to use in this position. Good luck on your choice.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Bob: Ours is mounted on the bottom left of the dash. In fact the servicemen have to remove the controller to plug in the computer reader they use to check the vehicle. Not in the way there and you can look down and see how it is functioning as you drive.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:33 AM   #9
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We also have a Chev and our Prodigy is mounted to the right of the steering column next to the center console. It is at about a 45 degree angle and easy to see.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:17 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On my '99 F350 and '03 F350 I had it mounted in the cubbyhole to the right of the steering wheel, on the dash. The '05 F250 has the builtin controller and it's also on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

I know I probably should practice reaching for that lever repetitiously until I can find it blindfolded but have to say that in the few times I've had to make a panic stop I have never reached for that lever. I have been so busy standing on the brakes and watching the road ahead to see what I might have to try to swerve to miss that I no way took my eyes off the road to find the brake controller. It might have made the stop better had I done so but my priorities were on not hitting anything.

If we were to lose brakes via the brake pedal, then I'd probably find that lever but in the above scenarios I haven't. am I the only one?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Steve,

In a panic stop your controler senses the inertia an applies full break load to you Rig, so in a panic stop you won't stop any sooner using the manual feature. The only time I use mine is on a down hill grade, to take a little speed off. Have also use it if I get hit with a big cross wind and feel a little wiggle in the trailer. I give it a quick tap on the manual lever.

If you get a flat on your TV it's also a good way to stop and pull off.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:01 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have my controller mounted right at the bottom right the steering column. It was the best place for me to keep my legs and feet from hitting it. I have to look between the center of the steering wheel and the top of my knee and can see it with no problem. The only reason I look at it every now and then is to make sure I still have a green light which tells me the coach is connected and the brakes are working.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:14 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, azstar. That makes sense. I've never used the lever while going down grades since the tow/haul grade braking does a nice job but I'll keep that in mind, just in case. I have used the lever to hold the trailer when I needed to pop the slider but that's about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote