Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2005, 01:16 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Trailer Connector for 5'er & Vent Info

When they install our hitch next week would like to have the connector plug in the bed of the truck some where. Has anybody done this. Our Chevy has the camper wiring option. There is a bail of wire between the box and cab that can be brought into the bed. I was wondering if they could bring it up and in using that post hole or what ever you call it in the bed rail. Any suggestions or ideas?

The dealer is going to install Max Air Vent covers, does any one put that over the Fantastic Fan power vent? They said that they don't because of the rain sensor. What do you folks do?

Picking the trailer up on Friday May 20! First outing will be Memorial Day Weekend.

Any last minute items or things that I should ask the dealer for or thing to tell them to do before the big day?

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bob Or Nancy,

No problem! When my 2002 F-350 had the hitch installed, I asked the shop to place the connector near the tailgate, on the side. It ended up being a stretch from the rear of the bed, but still reachable, without flipping down the tailgate.

When we bought the 2005 F-350, I made it clear to the hitch installer that I wanted it closer to the tailgate. They placed it within a foot of the gate, about six inches up the side of the bed. Very easily reachable.

I do love the Towing Package. I think that’s responsible for all that wiring in my F-350, too. And the plugs at the bumper hitch still works!

As for the Maxx Air Vent cover, ( http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxairVentCover.aspx ) when using one over a Fan-Tastic, it’s best to get the larger cover. It’s called the Fan-Mate. ( http://www.maxxair.com/products/Fan-Mate.aspx ) It’s about twice the cost, but installs as easily as the smaller ones. The reasoning behind it is that the Fan-Tastics put out more air than the small fans in some other vents that are fan-equipped…Like the toilet area. The extra air may not have enough room to vent if you use the smaller of the Maxx Air Vents. There’s a “Turbo-Maxx” (http://www.maxxair.com/products/Turbo-Maxx.aspx ) that has a fan built in, in case you find a need to ventilate another area better. Now they even have a new product I hadn’t seen at their website. (http://www.maxxair.com ) A folding vent cover! Helping to keep the high clearance down as much as possible. (http://www.maxxair.com/products/MaxxFan.aspx )

And don’t fret if you put a cover on the Fan-Tastic, and the lid hits the cover. Ours just stops raising when it hits, and the fan motor starts up, as if nothing was amiss.

As for the rain sensor on the Fan-Tastic. You won’t be needing it with the vent cover. We have one over our kitchen Fan-Tastic, and it never stops, because the rain never hits it. The vent covers on all openings are a good idea. We can tow with all the vents open, and get the fiver’s air freshened as we go, with not a single drop inside.

One thing you might want to double check with your dealer, when you hook up, is adjusting the brake controller properly for your rig. (I’m still adjusting my Integrated Brake Controller, after a couple thousand miles of towing!) There may be other things, but you don’t sound like you’re nervous. I bet you’ve had another fiver, of TT, and are just upgrading to a Monty.

Do you like your Access Cover? I had one put on my truck, and it sure is great. We no longer have to crowd our Canine-American children out when shopping after we drop the fiver at a site! The “kids” appreciate it immensely, too!

Welcome aboard the forum! This is a place to ask all sorts of questions. You’ll hear from experienced people. And some questions can start landslides of replies from people who need the same info.

Happy Camping,
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:09 AM   #3
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We had our hitch dealer install a nifty terminal at the inside bed pillar (post hole) just in front of the tailgate on the driver's side. Works GREAT! Absolutely no problem with binding cables. Our dealer included this in the price of installation. Makes the electrical hookup a breeze.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Mine is in the bed, drivers side, just in front of the wheel well.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The connector plug for mine is like DHenry, driver side right infront of wheel well. I also have the fantastic fan coverd with the maxx air cover made for the fantastic fan. These work great! I leave all of my roof vents open since the all have maxx air covers on them. Steve, the ff cover was hitting on mine as well so I brought it back to the dealership and they were able to adjust something and now it opens full with no obstruction. Bob & Nancy, enjoy your new coach. You will be very glad you went with the Superglide. I have no regrets on having mine installed.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 08:38 AM   #6
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I installed the plug-in just forward of the tailgate up 8" from the floor on the driver's side. This way the trailer wire does not snag on any part of the hitch. I found that the "wire loom" provided by the factory was just a tad short; so I made up a cable to go from the factory loom to the recepticle. I wanted to route the wires behind the fender well for protection from the "elements". Took about 30 minutes for the whole job including drilling the hole in the box itself and testing the installation. Soldered & heat shrunk all of the connections---moisture & lighting circuits don't do well together.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
On our prior truck I installed a plug in rear side of the wheelwell inside the bed area, driver's side. It was easily reachable from outside the bed. You can buy the wiring kit all ready to install. Front or rear side of wheelwell, probably doesn't matter. Just make sure wherever you put it that there's enough cord to make the tightest turn you are likely to make.

I agree with Gyro about using the fanmate instead of the standard maxxair cover over a fantastic fan. Whether it has the rain sensor is really irrelevant. With the cover you don't worry about the rain, no need for the fan cover to close and shut the fan off.

Gyro, let me know what setting you settle on for your ITBC. I think I've finally settled on 8.0 for ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Believe it or not, when we pulled out of one park, I slid the controller over and darn near got Kim to spill her water bottle! I turned it down to 5.5, and it was still strong.

Trouble was, as soon as I got that first jolt, we were on hardtop, so I couldn’t try to see if the tires locked up.

But I do know it sure worked for stopping.

I have no idea why I previously had to set it darn near the top.

I will re-test it on dirt, before we leave here in a little over a week, though.

Oh, when we hit Virginia, the first few miles were up steep hills. Part of the way up the first hill, we had a big BANG, and lost power. I pulled the truck off to the side as far as I could. I was hoping I could make it to a real pull-out. But when I rounded a corner, going maybe twenty, I saw nothing but more hills. Kim was on the phone to Ford, while I popped the hood. The big black hose that comes from the driver’s side to the metal tube from what looks like a manifold had popped off!

I thought it was the Turbo hose. It was a cold air intake hose.

After I put it back on, the truck was running well. We got to Luray, and the Ford dealer replaced the hose under warranty. Now I’m going to listen to each noise it makes. We still have a lot of hills to climb. He swore the Turbo’s fine. I hope he’s right!

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Gyro, let me know what setting you settle on for your ITBC. I think I've finally settled on 8.0 for ours.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Montana Sky,

I’m guessing they were able to adjust the travel on the Fan-Tastic’s top. I tried this and that positioning of the FanMate, but the lid still hit the top. Reading up on the Fan-Tastic’s manual, I found that it doesn’t matter. When it meets resistance, it’ll stop. By design, in case you park under a tree branch. (Smart cookies, those Max-People!)

All I know is that we get to never have to worry about whether it might rain while we’re away, knowing the vents are open.

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Steve, the ff cover was hitting on mine as well so I brought it back to the dealership and they were able to adjust something and now it opens full with no obstruction.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We had one installed about 8" from tailgate about the same high from bed. Also installed Turbo/Max Fan Vent outside shower area. No cover on Fantastic Fan

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote