Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
What does it mean when.............

These are probably rhetorical questions but here goes: #1,What does it mean when the digital display on your truck says "change fuel filter"??? #2,What does it mean when the truck starts to buck on the top of a hill and actually slows down on the way down the hill. I believe the answer to question #2 is refer to #1.. We were on hwy 33 in Oklahoma heading east when question #2 popped into my head. As we crested the next hill I saw a campground pictograph sign on the right pointing to the left.. As we crested the next hill (at 20 mph with my foot to the floor) there was a very nice little campground on left into which I pulled. It turned out to be a Passport America park and was only 15 dollars. After we got parked and unhooked I inquired as to the location of a Chevy dealer and a Auto parts store. I headed into town (Guthrie, Oklahoma)and located O'Briens Auto Parts where they used their computer reader to tell me two things. One I already knew and the other I suspected. One was I have a dead glow plug on cylinder #6, I knew that.. The other was that I had low fuel rail pressure (I suspected this because I referred to question #1 at the beginning of this post). Since it was 90+ degrees and somewhere near 98% humidity I decided to continue on down the road to the Chevy dealer. They were packed but took me right in. It only took them 40 minutes to change the fuel filter. I had a spare that I bought before this trip started so that when question #1 arose I could change. But as we have been on the road for a month and most CGs don't like you working on your vehicle I just never got around to it. Which brings me to another baffling question: Where the heck can I get a round toit? Now that most of my questions have been answered I would like to take a moment and mention the very friendly folks in and around Guthrie, Oklahoma. In particular the folks at Cedar Valley RV Park Resort (7 Montanas are here, but nobody home yet) and in particular the great folks at Eskridge Cheverlet. They estimated between 100 and 125 dollars and came in at 99.64. We will be a day late getting into KC but we will get there, hopefully day after tomorrow... P.S. When question #1 pops up on your dash digital display you should probably change your fuel filter within a month or two....

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad you were able to find friendly folks to help you out!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Seen any trains?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Round Tuit. A guy that worked in my shop retired and left his. I've been thinking about making some. I would
Take 1.5 round aluminum bar cut it in 1/4 inch slugs face it on both sides put it on my CNC mill scribe TUIT on both sides and you would have a double
Round Tuit.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I guess you forgot the 7 Ps, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think he forgot has Round Tuit.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can order your round tuits on Amazon.com.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Back to the original post - my 2012 Chevy Duramax has a display on how much life left on fuel filter. Now reading 71%. How reliable is the supposedly early warnings on the display? I realize filling up with bad fuel could quickly cause problems.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

Back to the original post - my 2012 Chevy Duramax has a display on how much life left on fuel filter. Now reading 71%. How reliable is the supposedly early warnings on the display? I realize filling up with bad fuel could quickly cause problems.
The fuel filter display is based on time via engine hours, I believe. I put a Caterpillar 2 micron pre-filter on my 06. When the truck 'change filter' popped up, I removed the filter and cut it open. With the Cat filter in place, the stock filter was about 1/3 used up. From that point on, I would reset the fuel filter warning once and then actually change it on the second warning.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I thought so. Yesterday, asked the service manager at GM dealership about the display, and he said "it will show when it is 1/3 clogged".

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Great story, glad it worked out.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Change my fuel filter about every 8,000 mile. Dealership told me that. Buy my fuel filters from Fleet Filters on line for about $26.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

Change my fuel filter about every 8,000 mile. Dealership told me that. Buy my fuel filters from Fleet Filters on line for about $26.
You are lucky to have one of the filter set ups that are easy to change. GM products made after yours are a PITA!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #14
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I replace my two fuel filters every third 5,000 mile oil change (so about every 10,000 miles) on my Ford. That said, the fuel module broke when I was visiting my son (not at home), so I had it towed to a diesel shop and paid a small fortune to get it repaired (California prices at a specialty diesel shop, ugh).

I have since heard there is a third fuel filter in the fuel tank (of my Ford?) but I've never heard of this. Can anyone comment regarding this for any brand of truck? It requires dropping the tank, etc. I think the dude was just trying to scare me. I know there is a fuel/water separator, and I've never had to empty any water (there's a dash light for that and no dash light in over 105,000 miles yet). I guess I should check my owner's manual.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote