Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Battery switch verification and gen starting

Went to the rig in mini-storage today to take a propane tank back and hopefully give the genny some needed and overdue run-time. It is recommended to run at least an hour a month and I must confess I was behind a month or maybe two. A while back I went to a two 12v battery system and equipped the rig with a marine type battery isolator switch. An added benefit to the switch is that I can completely remove the batteries from any drain at all (the remote board will drain the battery by itself after a prolonged time). Switched the batteries on and the genny purred right to life. Validation is always nice, particularly when the DW questions whether each and every expenditure on the rig is needed. She actually told me that it appeared that I did not just throw money away this time! Many remove the batteries for the winter months, but I prefer to charge them and leave them in the rig for the winter.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
pappy65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10842
I store my trailer at my house, so it is easy to plug it in and charge the batteries once a month. I don't know if you remember, but you took pics of your generator install for me last summer. I put the same generator that you have in while in Colorado. I have a reminder on my calendar every month to plug trailer in overnight and charge batteries. I also run generator either before or after charging.I'm sure it is good to run monthly, but being propane it is probably not as critical as with gas. No carbs to gum up. I started doing this on my last trailer and my battery life really improved. I used to leave batteries on charge all the time. I do use the battery cutoff switch that came on the trailer, but I am sure there is some drain from stuff that is in front of the kill switch. Thanks again for the pics of your generator install.
pappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote