Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
GeneO
Established Member

M.O.C. #11902
Gooseneck adaptor

I purchased a 2011 3150 Montana this summer heard good things about the gooseneck adaptor I have the Mor/Ryde system. The purchasing dealer insisted on putting the gooseneck adaptor a 14" with the Mor/Ryde plate everything is working very well. Then I find out from other campers that my frame warrenty has been canceled. I contacted Keystone and they confirmed they would not honor the frame warrenty with the adaptor. I contacted the selling dealer and they tell me never heard of that and they have been selling the adaptors for over 15 years with no problems. I guess I am going to keep it and keep my fingers crossed!!! It sure rides nice and love the space in my truck.

GeneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Not a good idea. Lots of people have had frame problems with the King Pin hitch. If you really want to use it, pull off the front cap and reinforce the frame.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'll second what firetrucker has said! If you want to keep it you will need more reinforcement in the front end. The skeleton/framing is not heavy enough for a gooseneck connection and as Keystone has stated- your warranty is voided now if you keep it so if you get any type of flex on the hitch area, and there has been many with the fifth wheel hitches even, that have had the flex occur. We saw at least four or five at the Fall Rally this year and they were all taken to the Service Center, front cap removed and the steel and wood sections were reinforced. With the gooseneck adaptor, even if it is only a 14" unit, the unit will run frontend high which is not good for the front framework or the suspension. Your unit should be towed level as much as possible.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I've read alot on this forum about frame flex issues and alot about not using the gooseneck adaptor. I have read many frame flex issues from people using the regular king pin hitch. I'm not sure I have ever read about someone using the gooseneck and having frame flex issues. Did I miss something or just need my memory refreshed? Jim
Old 10-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Looks like a new product on the market to solve the problem. The Reese Goosebox has apparently received approval from Lippert. Haven't seen a picture of it yet, but described as having an air bag, shocks, etc. to soften the strain.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Jim I don't think you missed any thing, not very many of us use the goose neck adapters because Keystone and Lippert say not to.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Jimcol, I read about this problem in another Forum some months ago and don't have the link anymore. It was provided by someone else but admittedly I have only read of this one time!

I wonder if those that have this problem and mess up their front cap, DON'T talk about it to NOT document it, then remove the gooseneck and try to get their rig repaired as a warranty item. I just don't know but with so many fivers manufacturers not wanted to endorse it, I just don't know enough to make the conversion. This can't be cheap to fix out of warranty, therefore I think some secrecy is necessary.

I'll have to go read BB_TX's post about the Reese Goosebox, but mostly for curiosity, since I have too much time and money invested in the traditional pin flat plate style of truck bed hitch and have no plans to change anyway. But I am curious.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Weldon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11213
I would not use it. For reasons already listed.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Weldon

I would not use it. For reasons already listed.
Same here...believe I read in Trailer Life mag a response to a reader's letter asking about the two types of hitches. From the mag, the answer, as I recall, was not endorsing one over the other, but mentioning that a warranty issue may come up, as you have unfortunately discovered.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I'll reiterate for this discussion...
Goosenecks are usually just fine unless you anticipate a warranty issue, why else would so many companies make and sell them and so many Fivers have them?

Interestingly, a new Gooseneck PINBOX has recently been developed and tested by Lippert per press release:

"Lippert Named to Supply New Reese ‘Goose Box’
Print August 16, 2011 by RV Business
Lippert Components Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Inc. and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced today (Aug. 16) that it has been designated the exclusive supplier of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese “Goose Box” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.

“The ‘Goose Box’ is a great solution for fifth-wheel RV users who prefer to use gooseneck hitches,” Jason Lippert, CEO of Goshen Ind.-based Lippert Components, said in a press release. “We are very pleased with the results of the thorough testing of the Goose Box, which demonstrates that it is compatible with our RV frame. As a result, the proper installation of a Goose Box pin box will be acceptable under our RV frame warranty.”

The company said that the airbag technology used in the “Goose Box” reduces the stress transferred to the RV frame. The combination of the airbag, dual shocks and rubber bumpers used in the “Goose Box” provides multi-directional shock absorption for a smoother driving experience that RV enthusiasts will greatly appreciate."

- Even MOR-RYDE now has a Goosneck adapter for their sliding Pinbox

- Many companies sell Gooseneck Adapters, Trailer Life reviewed them positively in 2009.

- Rarely have I been in a campground without several or more Fivers with Gooseneck adapters. Most of which are plain, non-"Flexible" pipes...

- I've towed my Montana with the Star Performance Hitch Gooseneck Adapter for over 4 years which includes a built-in Glider motion that probably has about the same stress relief benefit as the Lippert development, so what difference would a purpose built Pinbox versus a solid adapter attachment make? Also, I've gotten my Montana stuck twice and its held up for those extraction exertions.

And based on the actual Frame FAILURE reports on this and other forums, its the randomly (?) bad frame fault - regardless of how its hooked up as almost all reported failures are with standard Fiver Hitches.

So if you want to keep your truckbed easily free of an obtrusive hitch, a rotating/turnover ball provides that benefit. Also when hooking up you raise/lower the trailer gently on and off the ball - no ramming the pin or need to chock trailer wheels and "impossible" to drop on your pickup bed as its either on the ball or not. It does take longer since the jacks are so slow and hooking up the safety chains requires fitness for crawling into the bed. Though I don't always use the chains on short trips a how would the trailer come off the locked ball when it weighs down on the truck so much...

Just another point of view based on my personal experience(s) and interest in this issue.

RV Refrigerators are probably a greater risk!
Or towing behind the trailer, or adding....
Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chas
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT DRW SWD Extended Cab LB
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
RRman, Thanks for the interesting article. I think it demonstrates that reality and perception are often far apart. Jim
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Regardless of whether the gooseneck is safe, what would you expect your dealer to say. I would bet he knew about the warranty issue from the get go.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #13
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Look at the framework on a gooseneck trailer and compare it with fifth wheel frames. Enough said.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You hit the nail on the head with that one, Jim! Point well made!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A goose neck is about twice as long as a fifth wheel hitch and that puts twice the toque on the frame of your camper. Camper frames were designed as light as possible, less steel to keep the cost down, and to give more head room. Thats why Keystone will not warranty a camper with a goose neck hitch. Sure people get by with goose neck hitches It depends on a lot of factors how good was your camper welded road surfaces how you drive. and lots more.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Well if the torque was significant and DOUBLED, there sure would be a lot of busted trailers and claims against Gooseneck Adapter manufacturers so apparently the Dynamic Forces really are just from the Truck Bed (or axle) to the Trailer Kingpin, largely regardless of what's in between, as the Lippert Goosebox testing and "garaunty" would indicate.
Who wants to nominate this issue for Mythbusters?
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote