Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Full timing in British Columbia - insurance?

Hello,

We are currently living full time in our 3400RL in Victoria (until I retire), and our insurance has come due again. Before we just renew our current insurance with Aviva Canada (Aviva Elite), we were wondering if there are any other companies that insure 5th wheels for full time living in British Columbia, and what the insurance covers. Is there insurance for contents? How much? Ours is only $5000 - much less than it would cost us to replace our contents. What is the deductible? How much is the premium? If you would rather reply by private message, we would be happy to hear from you.

Thank you!

Katja

Katja_and_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Katja_and_Michael

Hello,

We are currently living full time in our 3400RL in Victoria (until I retire), and our insurance has come due again. Before we just renew our current insurance with Aviva Canada (Aviva Elite), we were wondering if there are any other companies that insure 5th wheels for full time living in British Columbia, and what the insurance covers. Is there insurance for contents? How much? Ours is only $5000 - much less than it would cost us to replace our contents. What is the deductible? How much is the premium? If you would rather reply by private message, we would be happy to hear from you.

Thank you!

Katja
"Only" $5000? Wow.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
We have national interstate insurance co. through explorer rv insurance agency phone # 888-774-6778 It covers $41,000 and 1 yr prem. $396 and comes w/ 9 ryders had $500 deductible which is diminishing each yr. give them a call, let me know if you get them to ins. your rig. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply. What we are trying to figure out is whether there is anyone other than Aviva Elite who will insure full timing RV'ers in British Columbia. I'm pretty sure that National Interstate Insurance insures in the US only (not necessarily in all states), and not in Canada. But if anyone know differently, please let me know!

Thank you,

Katja
Katja_and_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Dalton Timmis is a name that has been around for a few years, you may want to check them out for your needs, good luck!
RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We live and fulltimed in AK. We used insurance through Good Sam - don't remember the name. I'd have to research it. However, we were moving to Alberta (didn't end up moving there) and they were going to insure us in Alberta. I'd take a look at Good Sam.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Wow! Contents are normally 50% of the value of your residence and sometimes higher pending the value of collectables, and/or other valuables that may be "out of normal" contents.
Also Canadian Underwritters are registered in Canada. U.S. Insurance Companies must then be registered under the Canadian Insurance Act and certified along with a Canadian License to proceed with an Insurance business in Canada. You may be able to buy Insurance from a U.S. Company but it will not be of any value under a claim if they are not affiliated under the Canadian Insurance Agreement.
P.M me on this, as we have had experience as an Association with paying a premium to an out of Country insurance company and then realizing through investigation that it was of no value in Canada if a claim was ever put forth. There are numerous good companies in Canada that will insure your rig and contents. It may take some time and searching to compare value for value.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote