Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
DirecTV address issue....

During our last outing, we met an older lady who was fulltiming and semi-retired with a work-at-home type job, at the membership CG where we stayed. She bought a nice 5er and did not buy the truck to save money on living expenses. She gets around using a car. The CG requires she changes site every 6 months and she has it set up that the campground staff will move her rig for her.

The problem she has is that she cannot get DirecTV because the address she gives (CG address) had the same first name as she did and that previous person, skipped out and didn't pay her DirecTV bill, left the CG and things like that. DirecTV declined this lady and will not reinstate her ability to get DirecTV because the first name is the same and DirecTV doesn't care that the last name is different, in this case. I know there are other residents at the CG but she doesn't know if any of them that use the CG as their fixed address.

Does anyone have any idea on what to do, next? I don't use DirecTV any longer and wouldn't have any ideas what to do anyway. Because she has no Truck, she can't move to another campground unless someone wants to tow her behemoth and then she'll try again using the new address. It's above my truck's tow rating, so I wouldn't be able to help even if I wanted to.

She wouldn't mind moving since there is another CG close by that charges less per month but she'll have to pay for utilities. Utilities are included now. But she doesn't know how to get a satellite service without an address.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Art,
Perhaps if she goes through a retailer rather than direct (no pun intented), she might have better luck. I know one advertises in Trailer Life (don't have a copy of the mag with me or I'd give you the number).

I just purchased another receiver from Winegard for Dish. They also deal with Direct. They have been helpful, 866-609-9374

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Are you saying that example...here at this CG a person with the same first name as me.... Richard.... does nor pay the bill so everyone at This C.G address with the first name of Richard will be turned down by Directtv. I find that very hard to believe..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Another option, call Direct TV back and ask for a supervisor. Sooner or later she will find someone with common sense and the ability to correct the problem.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Have her skip the supervisor and ask to speak to the Retention Department, they're the group responsible of keeping customers and have the authority to make decisions. When I've had problems I was able to get them resolved speaking to that department. There are some of those customer service reps that are totally lacking of common sense. Another thought could she use her site number as maybe an apartment number? If you lived in an apartment you could have numerous individuals at the address with the same first names. That has to be a way around her problem
Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,
I have to agree with what most others have indicated. It just does not sound right. I suspect there is part of the story missing. Brenkco may have a good idea about going through a dealer rather than going to DirecTV.

Knowing DTV I find it laughable that they would NOT take money from a potential customer regardless of a previous customer with the same first name and address!

If you find out what happens with this situation please keep us informed.

Thanks, HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I only posted what she told me... I didn't want to influence anyone's answers but you all told me some of what I've already told her to do.

1.) Elevate the problem to as high up as she can go. I let her know the first couple of lines of support as the not-so-wise ones and if she continues to yell and scream and irritate them, they will continue elevating things to someone higher to get her away from them. And she just might find a level that understands what really happened since she is NOT the guilty party.

2.)Richfaa... that is exactly what she was told. She seems like a very shy sheltered person who's pretty much had things done for her by others with a little more oomph and will take what she's told as gospel. DW and I suggested she'll be needing to get a lot more aggressive if she wants some service and television instead of spending all her time at the lodge to try and sneak her shows in.

3.) Didn't think to ask her to try the dealer option, versus directTV, but I have a feeling that won't work because DirecTV originally approved her, then when they did some background checks they found her name and address matched their "list". An outside dealer needs to make the same kind of request so I think she will run into the same problem eventually.

4.) Apparently this other person owed so much and they burned DirecTV so bad, DirecTV is willing to forego this current person and I think it might be because she was too "understanding" of their side and not forceful enough to show she was NOT that person and thereby deserves a go of it. I wonder if those initial contacts at DirecTV are thinking victory that they must have caught this person since she was so nice about it and she has since given up.

5. Apparently DirecTV has been steadfast on the name connected to the CG address. When I asked her about the site# (i.e. like an apartment number) she was told that it won't matter because the name is still at the address whether she changed site numbers or apartment numbers. I just don't think she was firm enough with them and they are being too easy to discount her and since she didn't claw them in the face about it, they probably think they won one.

This sweet lady has some work to do and short of asking me to directly help her (she hinted at it through DW), I am reluctant to get involved because of possible ramifications and she must do the talking to provide them the information she'll need to provide. A stranger should not be doing what she will have to do. I am hoping she learns to help herself rather than have others do her work. Right now she is pretty resigned to keep the status quo.

Thanks for everyone's help. I hope DirecTV comes around and is eventually willing to work with her but she's just gonna have to get wicked on them. I also suggested Dish Network but she had a reason against it that I don't remember. We're no longer at that CG but next time we're there we'll look her up and see how she's doing since she's a Full-timer there.

Thank you all for your great ideas and support!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Instead of first and last name, have her use her middle and last name.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
doofus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10583
Dish Network...
doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
another name.... that's so obvious, and after the fact she can still use autopay because I don't think they care who is paying at that point because the name needs to match the credit or debit card doesn't it?

I don't remember why she didn't want or couldn't use Dish. And no, I don't think it was because NFL Ticket isn't offered.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
I would just call or email their corporate office, I did just today that to settle a problem with "a satelite" company. They got back to me within two hours by email. Problem solved!
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
The same person that stuck direct tv may have stuck dish net also
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote