Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Plans have changed

We had been looking forward to retiring 9/30 and hitting the road 10/5. But - upon Phyllis learning that Len had a sore on top of his head for approximately a year that was not healing, she insisted he have it checked.

We found out Tuesday it is skin cancer. More samples have now been sent out for biopsy. We will know in two weeks what the next step is. If only a simple procedure is warranted, we will be able to leave sometime after the first of the year. He will need follow up checkups every 6 months.

Fortunately, both our employers have kept us on when we notified them yesterday of the situation. We are bummed but thankful this was found now.

Here we are packed and ready to go, have said some good byes, etc but ...... hopefully in a few months it will be the right time for us.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you caught it before you want on the road. Best wishes and prayers for a simple procedure.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There are two kinds of skin cancer, but the good news is both are highly treatable. Basil cell is the most common and accounts for 90% of skin cancers. It is also the easy to treat. Squamous is less frequent. Although both types can metastasis, if treated they rarely do. Both are thought to be caused by sun exposure, but recently it is thought that basil cell is the result of infrequent exposure, such as sun absorbed during vacations, where as squamous is from prolonged exposure. Treatment for skin cancer runs the range from freezing, to surgery to chemical peels and lord knows what else.

I know about this because I have a history of basil cell cancer. I've always opted for removal - that way it's done and over with. Good luck with the treatment and don't lose any sleep over it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Best wishes for a good prognosis and a speedy recovery. I had a spot of skin cancer removed from my nose a few years ago and it healed quickly.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Prayers going out for you both, been there, done that, well, CountryGuy did. His was the nasty business, melanoma, caught early, was not more than 1/25th of inch deep.

Get er taken care of, the road will look even sweeter and more wonderful after you come out on the other side of this incident!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Prayers going you way, along with our hope that the news is good and that you can hit the road as planned.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Prayers from here, too. Please keep us posted on the progress.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have had mine removed by freezing.

Jim, Did it remove the "brown" spot?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:14 AM   #9
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Patty and I wish you the very best
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Geesh! We had Lens apointment last night on 2nd biopsy results. IT IS NOT skin cancer. It is an "oily mole", whatever that is. He had it frozen. So, we had cancelled all plans when the dermatologist insisted it was skin cancer when the 1st biospy came back inconclusive. We should have been retiring a week from today.

But, in looking at the upside, January will be better financially. Len accrues 30 more hours sick and 30 more hours vacation time by working rest of year. Effective 1/1/10 he will get 3 persoanl days. He met with personnnel. If he works just a few days in first week of Jan he gets paid until sometime in February putting his health benefits to continue until March before he has to pay. Also, my company has 3% profit sharing contribution but I must actively work last week of the year to get it. Also, since Len will be only 61 in January it means we will only have to draw down on investments for 11 months instead of 15 when he starts SS. I turn 66 this year and started SS in January.

It will all work out. But just watch. I would bet the first week of January there will be a MAJOR snow storm here in the northeast giving us ANOTHER delay. (Our original date to fulltime was 2/1/09 but due to many issues, it was delayed at that time too).

Still we are grateful for a good medical report. Praise God!

Phyllis
Old 10-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
GeorgiaDave

M.O.C. #9681
Great news on no cancer! Hope your plans take you safely to warm weather in January!

Georgia & Dave
GeorgiaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 AM   #12
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Even that 3% profit sharing contribution did not entice me to stay beyond 9/30. I AM RETIRED! Okay - no work no money but we can deal with it! Len is still working until the first week of January.

Phyllis
Old 10-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I guess a woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #14
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Sounds as though you got the best news possible, AND it sounds as though "Plan B" has a lot going for it, too.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote