Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Long Term Space Rental

Hello All,

Do most RV parks offer long term parking? If so how long do most let you stay? Many of you talk about snow birding in Florida, do you set up and stay put in one place? Is there an average cost? We are very much interested in full timing in a few years when we retire, but not sure we will be able to afford to travel a lot.

We belong to Colorado River Adventures, but they only allow 2 weeks at a time. It seems so inconvenient to unplug and move every two weeks when you want to just stay put for a while. Also we might ease into it while are still working and all the more reason to stay in one spot! We work in the San Bernardino area of Southern California.

Is there a source that lists the parks for long term? Thank all for your input. I really love this forum and have learned so much from great folks like you.

Sue

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, there are many RV parks that allow long-term parking. You can usually get a weekly or monthly rate and there are some that allow a six month rate. I don't know about yearly.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I see you belong to CRA. We chose to go with 1000 Trails (TT) and via RPI can use the CRA parks.

1000Trails offer several longterming plans. The standard membership is 3 weeks in, then 3 weeks out. The platinum plan allows 3 weeks in, then 3 weeks at another 1000 Trails. They also have longer term plans for the same location but you must consult their Business Office at any one of the TT sites and check the options. I am aware of some that full time, but work at the location (Store, Ranger Station, Office, etc.), or you can arrange some other plan. Some full-time and pay for utilities since the membership fee paid for the site.

As Orv mentioned, other RV parks offer long term contracted stays. The numbers of them are high as are the terms and conditions for each RV Park. We have friends who Full-Time but decided not to travel so much, so they arranged contracts to be a CAMP HOST on a yearly basis. In that, they are allowed at a specific camp host site and actually work to provide information for visitors, watch the park, provide security; terms and requirements will vary. They are on their second pass at this. I don't know the financial obligations but I'm sure there are internet sites where you can get locations offering this, then contact them for details.

Most CRA sites are on the Colorado River except for the one in Julian. The closest San Bernardino location for TT is in Palm Desert or Idyllwild but there are others in Sun City/Menifee or Julian. However, there are a tremendous number of RV Parks in San Bernardino that can offer what you seek. Good luck.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sue, As you are probably aware, there are, literally, thousands of RV parks across the nation. I have found that many offer "long term" parking and many do not. Costs may range from $200 a month to whatever you want to spend. Most long term sites require you to pay for electric (metered) in addition to your monthly fee. Some even allow, or provide, a 100 gal propane source for your stay. Many "Destination" parks usually have limited stay times, however, in this economy, I would ask if I was interested in that. I do not know of a website that caters to fulltiming as RV'ing is usually made for people to recreate. We have stayed as long as 5 months on a military base and some even allow longer stays.

IF, during your travels, you find a nice place where you might want to spend some additional time, I would inquire as to the possibility. As Art mentioned, "workamping" is another way of staying put for extended times. There is a website for that called www.workamping.com AND www.workamper.com. Hope you find this info helpful....Perhaps others on the forum have other ideas they would like to share, afterall, we are a sharing group.....

BTW: We have the 1000 Trails Platinum VIP membership which allows us three weeks at each park with no break in between. They have several plans available. Their National plan is two weeks in a TT park with a week out, they go up from there....I don't know of any plan which allows three weeks in and then requires 3 weeks out, but one never knows from time to time what is available.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We stay for the winter at a park by the Salton Sea (really close to you)called Fountain of Youth Spa & RV park.It has a couple of options for long term stay. You can stay by the month for $465 FHU flat rate if you are there by Oct. 10th or you can pay by the year for $2100 & up but then you pay for water & elec. or they offer 4 months for $1980 flat rate(all $ last year).They even offer storage for $30 Mo. We really enjoy the place, lots to do. Every winter we get visits from various MOC friends. Good luck. Dave.
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
exav8tr, thanks for the correction.

The TT basic plan is 2 weeks in then 1 week out (aka "leave the system") and there are variations of this depending on when you buy in and what promos are active at the time. As we both stated the Platinum plan provides for a maximum of 3 weeks at any location and you don't have to "leave the system" but can go from TT locale to another TT. Unfortunately this timeframe might not meet with RCMP03's immediate timelines.

If they don't mind I'd like to hear what they figure out.

Happy planning,
Old 05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Thanks for all the great ideas! My husband was just laid off of his job and thank goodness I still (knock on wood) have mine (hence the reason we need long term). We want to have our ducks in a row in case he can't find work and we are forced to sell or rent out our home. I am thinking that if push comes to shove, we can live a lot cheaper out of the Monty then our home. I am just afraid I'll lose my desire to full time (retirement living) after having no choice. I have my job and he will find work, but it's just scary not knowing what to expect! This wonderful economy is taking its toll on a lot of us! Again, I appreciate all of you and love living vicariously through your stories of adventure..... Sue
Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
I just looked at our Platinum agreement with CRA and it says we can stay 14 consecutive days then off 7 days before being able to come back. We can do that unlimited during the year. I seem to recall them saying there was a way around it to give you extra stay time, but darned if I can remember that right now! Although not all that great, Cherry Valley Resort would be the closest for commuting to work. We also belong to RPI through the CRA membership. I would imagine one of their parks would accommodate long term, but not sure about any discounts. Sue
Old 05-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
We winter in Mission Texas. There are at least 6 retired Mounties in this park and they all are really nice folks. We stay for three months. I don't remember exactly how much it costs but my recollection is $1,450, basic cable and electric included. If you stay longer than 3 months you pay electric from day one. I know at least two of the guys have bought park models. Send me a PM if you want names.

We work camp for 2-6 months depending on the year. In Texas we just play.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I pay $400 per month with all utilities included for my long term site in Iowa. Shop around and do you homework as there are many affordable parks out there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
California RV parks are pricey because of demand especially when the Snow Birds come south for the winter. I have been to the Fountain of Youth Resort that dandt talks about. It is very nice there and very well kept. Hot in the summer, but they do have long term stays, but if you want to stay around Cherry Valley or near Beaumont, FoY is way on the other side of Palm Springs at the northeast part of the Salton Sea and could affect a commute. There should be others. near your desired destination.

Good luck to you on your search.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
The monthly rate varies with the amenities in the park. Most monthly rates do not include electricity. In Arizona they can vary from $155 a month to $500 or more.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I am in Pasco, WA. We pay $385 per mo and that includes everything,include WSE, wifi, cable, telephone (no long distance). Space is 32x60.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #14
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
It's good to know that there are options out there. I have been doing some checking in our area and they have one in Grand Terrace that looks affordable. We might take a drive out there and have a look around. Hey, maybe I'll just put in for early retirement and live the good life on the road! I dream about it all the time. Thanks everyone for your time and input, it is very helpful! Sue
Old 05-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Clutch, Where is the $155 per month park in AZ???? We do not like the big cement parks and don't care if there is a swimming pool.
CA is higher than most other states we have been in. And many of the parks have long time rigs or park models set up so they are more crowded. We are currently in Hemet visiting family. Even though this town thinks it is a "Snowbird" place there are only 3 true TV parks in town. Monthly rate ranges from $455 to $750 +++.
Happy Trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Although we only stay here for 7 months we do take the site by the year. This years monthly rate is $295 plus electric which we pay directly to the power company. Also if paying by the month they require a $700 security deposit which they pay 5% interest. Every January we get a $35 credit on that months rent.
For this we get the same spot every year, we can come and go as we please and I have an 8' X 10' storage shed on site. During the winter months the shed becomes my work shop where I refurbish bicycles for resale. The site is approx 60' deep and 20' wide with a concrete patio.
They do have a monthly rate which is around $495 + electric. At 7 months that comes to $3465.
Yearly lease 295 x 12 = 3540 - 35 = $3505. It is worth the little bit extra for the guarantee of the same site each year not to mention the storage shed.

BTW-I did buy the shed which I had to build myself but that was a once and done cost. If we ever leave the park the shed would be easy to sell
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Clutch, Where is the $155 per month park in AZ???? We do not like the big cement parks and don't care if there is a swimming pool.
CA is higher than most other states we have been in. And many of the parks have long time rigs or park models set up so they are more crowded. We are currently in Hemet visiting family. Even though this town thinks it is a "Snowbird" place there are only 3 true TV parks in town. Monthly rate ranges from $455 to $750 +++.
Happy Trails......................
Parrothead, if you camp in the neighborhood of Parker Az you can find the $155-$165 on the California side of the river. If you like Bouse the nicer parks are only $175 - /$200 per month plus electricity. They do have power, water, sewer. Things like wifi, cable tv, cable internet, close affordable shopping etc are not usually near by.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote