Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
dcpark
Established Member

M.O.C. #8268
Insurance for Full Timers

Our Montana 3400RL is ordered and slated for delivery about the middle of August. Then we will become first time, full timers.

My question for you other full timers is, how do you insure your trailers? My insurance Co. wants to include it on my auto/truck policy which is OK, I guess. But what do you do about liability insurance when it is parked in the RV park and you are living in it? Also how do some of you insure your personal posessions (contents)? Types of policies and names of insurance Companies would be helpful. Thanks.

dcpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:32 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Hi DCPark. Welcome to the forum.

Let me give you a little history - Bernie and I had everything we own insured with State Farm. Then we went fulltime. State Farm has what they call a fulltime policy, but you better be careful. If we were not in the rig (say we flew home to Georgia) and the rig was damaged, then we weren't covered. We had to be in the rig in order for State Farm to cover us. So, after much research, we went with GMAC. They will also want to insure your truck as it is the tow vehicle and you'll need your entire package covered. There are a few options with different companies. Other folks will be along soon to answer your question.

You ask about contents and liability insurance. GMAC covers this whether we are in the rig or not. They (and several other companies) offer TRUE fulltime policies. When the others come along and reply, you'll see the various insurance companies and you can research which one will best fit your need.

Again, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Monty!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Since we are full time and don't own a stick house, we have full timers insurance through Explorer RV in Ohio. www.explorerrv.com

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are insured through Foremost. They have a very good policy for very competitive rates. They include towing with the option of paying any and all reasonable costs. It is less than most others I have seen at $920/yr with $250 ded. $10K liability.

One thing I am working on with them right now is splitting off of collision if you are planning on sitting for along periods of time (6 mos in FL for instance). GMAC (Good Sam) has just announced that they are now offering this option to their customers. I am still waiting for an answer from Foremost on this.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I am remembering correctly, if you are setting, you can get a reduced rate from Foremost. I wanted to do that while we were in China, but my finance company would not allow it. They said if someone hooked up to it and towed it even without my knowing it, it would not be covered while towing.

To the original question, I would want to have a real full timer's policy. As has been said, GMAC, Progressive, Foremost and others provide full timer coverage. It is important to read the exclusions when buying a policy. Put no confidence in verbal promises made by the salesman. Read the policy and ask questions. If you can find other owners of that policy, ask about claims service.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
Skip
Established Member

M.O.C. #7808
I have a 2006 Montana 3500RL. I have it in an RV park at Lake of the Ozarks in MO that is on the lake (very few are). I mention that it is an RV park because the owner will not let people live there year round, he says it is not a trailer park. The season is from April 1 to the end of Oct. My wife and I use it on weekends and it has only been moved twice to take to the dealer for repairs. The unit is fully licensed and is not permently set up. It can be unhooked and ready to move in 30 to 45 minutes. The season is $1500.00 and this includes water, electricity,sewer and cable TV (very cheap for the area). To leave it set over the winter costs $250.00 and of course I winterize it and cover it. I contacted camping world and their insurance is by GMAC. I was told sure thing and given a good rate quote. Two days later I was called and told no they could not insure it because I don't qualify as an RV. I again called camping world and told them what I was told by GMAC. They said they were wrong and he gave me an even better Quote. I asked him to send me a verification of the coverage and rate. 4 days later a GMAC supervisor called and asked me if I had wheel covers on the unit???? I told her yes these are vinyl and keep the side walls of the tires from dry rotting. She wanted to know if there was security in the park and I told her yes, someone is in the park 90% of the time and the units are checked daily. She said she would get back to me. 10 days later another supervisor from GMAC called and said they were sorry but they could not cover me because I did not move the RV enough. I told her there was more of a chance of an accident on the road than where it was parked but she said they had made their decision. In all, none of the 6 people I talked to knew anything about RV's and it was impossible to get a straight answer. I don't recommend GMAC for any type of insurance. Note. we live appx 40 miles away from the park and due to rising gas prices 5 people in the last month have moved in and said they plan to stay all year because the winter storage is cheaper than towing the unit home. Also by staying for the winter you are assured of a choice spot in the spring.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I purchased a policy from American Family Home Insurance Company, out of Cincinnati, OH. It is RV specific and includes replacement cost, collision, LIABILITY, (since we're full timers), a Mexico Rider, personal effects (too low, I need to increase), emergency expense and medical payments. My total premium is $413.00. This is with a $500.00 Deductible). I have USAA insurance on my truck.....American Modern Insurance Group is the parent company.....Hope this helps. BTW I was told by several RV'ers that one should get an RV Specific policy and stay away from the auto policies, I'm sure there are exceptions to this and I know nothing about them, just passing on information....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote