Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I've been Shackled

Well, been reading about this topic wasn't on my todo list for this year . It clearly should have been!!!
Last trip out 30 miles to otherside of the Hudson River, backed into campsite, was walking around trailer wondering why it just didn't look right...out of level yet site was perfectly level.
Spend few hours Saturday fixing just this one...will be locating and installing all new shackles and hanger bolts...the "wet" type. Before going out next spring.
God must have been watching over us...looked like it just happened, no harm done...bit of panic trying to locate replacement parts but go-er-done and now back home.
Here's a pic of what can happen...

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bummer! I'm glad you weren't in a mishap, I know you can handle the repairs, but looks like rust may be a hinderance. (Nothing a few new parts can't cure.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Oh, yes...that rust thingy was keeping me from pulling the bottom nut. All good service people know heat is man's best friend. Did the trip to Campers Barn in Kingston then stopped by Lowe's and picked up Mapp Torch, just because real men need tools...that nut that was getting rounded corners (even with a six point socket) clicked with just a bit of pressure and spun right off.
Guess the DW fell in love with a rig that has couple of issues but soon we'll have them all fixed up god willing.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

noneck

Not good! How many miles (about) on your rig?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Cruzin_2 we have no clue...well, take that back, do now must have a lot. We bought this one used as DW fell in love with Montana's then did a bunch of internet browsing which landed us this rig.
We both like it and will continue doing maintenance on her hoping that it continues to serve our needs.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I'll bet that is not the only worn bushing and wallowed out shackle you have. If I can help, email me. Been there, done that.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

I'll bet that is not the only worn bushing and wallowed out shackle you have. If I can help, email me. Been there, done that.
Hi Stiles, I did inspect the rest and agree...not the only one. I'm thinking of doing the Dexter "kit" just not sure which one (have yet to measure axle spacing).

I have AL-KO axles but appears that makes no difference in the suspension kit selection.

-or-

Not trying avoid your assitance...I am open to all suggestions experiences as I'm looking to do this once so its behind me.

My other goal was to inform others that this topic can happen to any of us...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree with your goal and your assessment. Sooner or later everyone has to deal with shackles and bushings. You are looking at the right kits for replacement on the Al-Ko axles. I had Al-Ko on the 2003 Big Sky and the 35" axle separation kit you have pictured is exactly what I used.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I just had my shackles replaced. The elongation was just starting so I think I got it nipped in the bud. Thanks for the heads up, Stiles.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 AM   #10
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294

We seldom look underneath the 5th wheel, however last week we happened to notice our broken shackles (one on each side). Yikes. We figure it must have happened at least a year ago based on the rust on the broken parts. Fortunately we were in Phoenix and were able to get it repaired the next day at Cliff's welding shop in Mesa. They replaced 10 shackle bolts, 8 spring shackles, 10 spring bushings and worn links. We will be checking underneath from now on.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Yikes, John and Carol...that is scary. Glad your all fixed up and I'm about done with my selection as I'm not convinced adding the E-Z Flex or something similar will do a whole lot to a rig that already tows like a dream.
Previous post shows the kit stiles indicated he used K71-449-00 which I confirmed today matches my 35" axle spacing, Dexter listed price is $119.50 which puts my shackle Maintenance into a yearly grease gun preventive routine vs...trying to figure out if there's elongation.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Are these the OEM shackles that we were told had "normal" wear after 45K miles of "simulated" driving???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi richfaa, yes they appear to be, I doubt they were replaced prior to my purchasing the "used" RV. I know my bad, should have been aware that this was a failure/normal maintenance item but over the years have always purchase "New" units.
This rig was an attempt to make a significant step up w/o killing the budget for a vacationer who's kids have "outgrown" being shadowed by the parents.
AND I was just reading the posts about shackles, had planned inspections prior to going out next spring...go figure my RV decided it wanted my attention this past weekend.