Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Commercial Plates in NYS

I am picking up my first truck, F350, on Saturday and the dealer said it had to have commercial plates, that I could not drive on parkways and that I had to have my name put on the truck permanently. Is this crazy or am I just nieve?. What about other states? Any there driving restrictions for commercial plated vehicles? I figure to spend a lot of time out of NYS soon. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Nick

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nick,

I think you left a lot out of this story. Did you personally buy the truck or is it registered through a business?

Although it has been years ago for me, in CO you had to plate a business owned truck commercially and pay taxes if you actually used the truck to transport commodities on state or federal roadways.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Some Info

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Wow! I can see that we will NEVER be towing our rig anywhere in NY! My 450 front axle weight is about 5300#. I would never even dream of driving it in NYC.

Good luck. If I were you I'd look for another state to register the rig.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Wow! I can see that we will NEVER be towing our rig anywhere in NY! My 450 front axle weight is about 5300#. I would never even dream of driving it in NYC.

Good luck. If I were you I'd look for another state to register the rig.

HamRad
The only roads in New York State that I know of that have RESTRICTIONS are located in the New York City area, that's the last place ANYONE should attempt to drive a LARGE VEHICLE, and you'd have to have a DEATH WISH to tow a camper anywhere near there...
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Can you use the Modified Pick Up as it states "or camping equipment mounted in the truck bed"? The 5th wheel hitch is camping equipment and it is mounted in the truck bed.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If I were you I would visit the DMV and ask the question about the Modified P/U. Having been from NY seems to me that you would qualify but I have been out of the state nearly 4 years and laws do change.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
The truck weighs more than the 5500 lbs maximum so it will not qualify for passenger plates under any modifications. NYC exempts this type of commercial plates vehicle form the parking restrictions placed on commerical vehicles (the ones with lettering on the trucks, etc. I guess I will have to stay of the parkways. What about other states? Is NY the only one with this rule?
nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Until recent years, you couldn't drive any pickup on the parkway. We used to drive to the NYC area a couple of times per year to see Al's mother. If we were to take a pick-up, we could not ride on the parkways at all. At least now you can if you have a smaller pickup. I think the reason is that the parkways are narrower than some roads and have heavier traffic certain times of the day. Parkways are designed primarily for passenger vehicles so that people could enjoy traveling without all the commercial trucks. We have never found this to be an inconvenience as there are many different routes into the city. Also, we do enjoy driving on them when we take our car. Having our truck registered commercial is really no big deal for us.

Also, we have never had to put a name on any truck. I don't understand why a dealer would tell you that?!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Nickandmarilyn, double check that modified pick up, its says "of any weight". That may be your ticket.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #11
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
learn something new every day. We live in Vermont but have traveled the NYS parkways many times over the years with our trucks, registered commercially (VT) without any problems. Our car also has commercial plates which travels these roads often. Never even gave this a thought. Our business signs are magnetic and are usually removed when traveling out of state. I had always thought the Commercial restriction was for those with DOT Registration numbers on the truck, which we do not have. I am completely shocked reading the restriction for cars with cargo carriers on top. If they wanted to enforce this, they could make a killing during the winter months when thousands of cars travel these roads laden with skis, boards, etc. I am surprised how many real commercial vehicles use these roadways given the above notices. I have seen FedEx and UPS on these roads on many occasions. I wonder if there are additional laws allowing them to use these roads for local deliveries. I cannot imaging these companies are violating this restriction on a regular basis.

Very interesting topic...
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Pick-up truck licenced in CA also have to have comercial plate unless they have camper shell and request passsenger plates. No other restriction on driving that I know. Lots of extra $$$$ for the Plates
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ahhhh, so I was born here in NYS (Western NY) now living 50 miles north of NYC. Commercial is as previously stated over 5500lbs no choice has nothing to do with being in a business or having commerical advertisements.
You would be crazy to go down many of these parkway's as the bridges are old style arches and often way too low to get any camper under them.
Even going down Route 9 into Peekskill, NY there's an arched bridge that you MUST move to center lane or get it clipped off at 10' 3" height!
Until recently only way to get pickup's under 5500lbs to be passenger tagged was to put on a cap and a rear seat in box. They have removed those obligations but requirement is you never load it over that weight limit of 5500lbs.
I agree with previous post...get it registered in another state....but you still can't go down NYS parkway's, sorry.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote