Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Inflating dually tires

Another simplistic question from a simple-minded person. With the dually tires on the tow vehicle, the outer tire valve faces inside and I for the life of me cannot get any air hose on it. Is there such a contraption as a temporary clip on flexible extension that can be used to air the outer tires. The inner tires are easily reachable. I know that the permanenet extension are not a good idea and have no clue what to put into a search engine to look for such a contraption. I need to equalize the tire pressure and have been unsuccessful so far. Can anybody help???

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
mine were all faceing out at oppisite slot holes.

the cheepest way to fix would be to go to a tire guy and have the tire taken off rim and have stem rotated 1/4 turn faceing the way of travel [on both sides].
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Bingo, call me at the camping center,Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
BEWARE OF... the nice little "U" turn twist on valve stems.... been there done that.... cost me 4 flat tires in the middle of Nevada... Last July/Aug.... the valve rotated to the point it allowed air to slowly leak out........
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
What I am really looking for is something that only goes on during the airing up process. I have learned from many sources (other forum, etc.) that any extensions that are permanent are accidents waiting to happen. What is really confusing is that I can get my pressure guage on the tire, but I have yet to find a chuck that I can get on it. I have learned since the initial post that the double ended chucks have different angles on them, so I guess I will have to find a truck stop with the same angle as my guage. Kerry clued me in on some small extenders that I may resort to that I hope can be taken off without losing air pressure because I simply don't trust leaving any extenders on with them rotating at 65 mph!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
I see sayeth the Blind Man.... I have since Put new shoes on the truck, at which time I had them install longer Valve stems, this has made it immensely easier to check the pressure.
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
There are tire chucks that feed two directions. They are made just for your problem. You will have to "balance" the pressures manually, set both tires to the same pressure. The tire chuck was not the problem I had, it was finding a pressure gauge that had that sort of tip on it. Found one at Tractor Supply Co., brand name, Bull Frog.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I'd also suggest you get the metal valve stems installed -- Being all metal (not just rubber with a metal insert) they will not bend when you are trying to put the air chuck on them. Have seen more than one sole(myself included) mubbling to themselves as they try to air up dually tires with the rubber valve stems because of the way they can move.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #9
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
You can find an air gage for dually tires at any truck stop. As far as adding air, I bought a small air compressor with an air chuck that was made for dually tires and so I don't have to worry about finding a gas station with the right air chuck. A small air compressor is about 200 bucks.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Boy can I agree with the idea of NOT using extenders. I just replaced two inside tires as a result of running them flat due to extenders. I have now removed the extenders, had the tire guy install all metal valve stems, and added a one-inch extender that the tire guy had. It doesn't use an "O" ring so it is unlikely to leak and the stems will no longer come out. Most gas stations use an inflator valve that fits both straight on and backwards. Just in case I also own one and can easily slip it on the air line if needed.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:57 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Well, I finally came up with the solution for not being able to put any of the truck stop chucks (facing both ways) to air the outer dually. A buddy of mine happened to have a portable compressor (the kind that plugs into your power port (cigarette lighter) and the rubber hose can be manipulated to air both inner and outer tires. I must admit that I have an advantage in that my hands and wrist are small enough to fir through the slots in the rim. The compressor was rated at 120 psi and took about five minutes to raise the pressure from 45 (dealer setting - have no idea why) to 65 where I am running initially. Besides, I need one when travelling for the Montana anyway. I have read where others are using 80 psi but need clarification if this is where dually's are being set or SRW users only. 80 is the max on the tire, but the truck sticker says 65?? As usual will consider all input and will make decision accordingly (In other words I will do what I think is right after entertaining all opinions). I know I can do a search but it takes so long and usually times out without any results. Sorry.
Bingo

Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
bncinwv,
We've been using the extenders now for about 3 years. Absolutely no problems. We use the the steel coated extenders and have found no reason not to use them. I read the horror stories about them coming loose and or rocks hitting them and breaking them. But we have had the truck everywhere we wanted to go including the rocks of Quartzsite and so far they have performed perfectly. They certainly make life easier when it comes to checking and filling the tires.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #13
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Any truckstop or good auto parts store would have the "Dual" chuck. Keep in mind though they still come in two configurations' the forward part can be either straight or angled. Which one do you need ??? have to get down and look at your valves and decide which one would be best. Usually the angled one works well on stock steel rims with the big holes. Usually the straight chuck works better on aluminum and custom rims. I know someone will dispute this but the door pressure sticker is a guide. Look at your tread wear on the tire. If it is wearing flat the pressure is good. If the outside edges are wearing more than the center you need more pressure. If the center of the tread is wearing faster there is too much air. If you do not trust your calibrated eyeballs a tire "Depth Gage" is cheap enough and measures in 0/32nd's of an inch and for the Canadians they in metric readings as well.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Took Boadaceous Buttocks to Les Schwab and had Extenders put on. they are Stainless, no "o" rings, and I can air the tires as needed. I think it depends on the kind of extenders you get and the way they are installed. I had stainless valves put in the rims at the same time. I am totally steel from the rim out and very happy. So far am really impressed with the General
Tires on the new Dually "BB". there have been no pressure variations and they ride really smooth.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I think that most of the stainless models are not under pressure unless air or a gauge are on the valve stem. This is because there is a flexible shaft inside the braid. This is all fine UNLESS you are using Pressure Pro (or others) that need pressure from the tire at all times to work. They will leak under these conditions. I use a set of rubber ones (don't need the speech on these please) from NAPA for my Pressure Pros. I mounted a bracket on the inner hub cap to prevent movement. This has worked for 3 years now. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Yesterday I went to NAPA and got a dual chuck air nozzel; works great (on my Dodge dually). As for air pressure, I go by the sticker on the door, even though the tires say max 80 psi, the truck makers are smarter than I am. Some trucks like the Dodge dually have a supplemental pressure sticker. Mine says 65 psi front/ 45 psi rear medium load. 65 psi front/ 65 psi rear max load. (all pressures are cold tires). After getting the pressures set, I put on the Pressure Pro's. You would be amazed between in the morning and in the afternoon with the sun out. 3 psi difference just sitting still. Remember, most tire failures are from low pressure. now with the PP's I can monitor all 10 tires and even the spares if I add two more pressure sensors. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote