Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good information Steve and it follows what the presenter was saying at the seminar. I think that some of the folks on the other forums that are having frequent regens are using the truck as a daily driver with a lot of short trips.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #42
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
"My MPG on the trip from Colorado Springs to Pueblo Via 115 and 50 reads 11.3 mpg>>>"

Rich .... is that solo? Or if with trailer, manually calculated? I've never got over 10 mpg towing with the PSD, and even my old '99 7.3 PSD didn't get more than 11 with the 5W????? But I was calculating manually .....
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is pulling the 3400 anchor .We use the on board PC and it is very close or better then a manual calculation. 10MPg is not at all unusual.Around 8.5 or 9 is the all over average on a long trip through several tanks of fuel.. As I have said mnay times.. The REAL MPG from the Ford 6.0L up is not that far off than the gas motor.Your 7.3 should have done much better.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #44
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
re: " ...your 7.3 should have done much better ..."

Maybe that is because it was also a 4x4? A friend of mine has the same 99 PSD, but in 2WD, and gets about 12 to 12.5 towing a 5th wheel of equal size and weight.

Now I'm interesting in seeing what my brother-in-law gets with his brand new 2008 F-350 PSD. Boy, Ford did do some very nice upgrades for the new super-duties!!!!!! And that new 6.4 purrs like a kitten. I thought ours was quiet, but his is amazing!
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #45
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Matt, they are sweeeeet! I have the brochure here on the desk, drool marks all over it. And they are super quiet. They actually drive pretty much the same as my '06, they are tight, very nice.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #46
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Rich
I enjoy your writings about your V10. It has given me a lot of information on the V10 engine. We have been looking at a Motorhome that has the V10. Your milage is quite simular to those that have that same engine in their motorhome. GM has stopped producing the 8.1 gas engine in the motorhomes and I have been told that a variation of one of the Vortec engines will be used for a couple of years. I was also told that they are working on a V10 too. I think I will stay with the ford V10. It has been around for a few years and is a proven engine. I will miss the Duramax diesel in my 05 GMC. It has been a good truck and I have added a lot of extras on it.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This V-10 is pulling Truck and camper and all the stuff in it and weighs in at over 21K. I don't think I would want to go much over that in a motorhome.Just to set the record stright. I still consider the diesel the best overall motor. I just do not think that a diesel is the best motor for everyone and how you use the Motor has to be considered an I try to be honest and accurate in what this V-10 does the way I drive it instead of sugar coating the numbers as many gas and diesel drivers do..
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #48
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
MPG From The Colordao State fairgrounds in Pueblo, Co, 25N to 76 E to 80E ..stop at Ogallala, Ne....9.0 MPG Exactly. No steep grades , down shifted a few times.Not to bad ..for dragging 21K +
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Rich, I have no idea. That's just based on what I'm seeing on the mpg computer. I could be misjudging the cause of the mileage drop but it drops for about 15 minutes then starts climbing right back up. I am assuming it's doing a regen during that time. I was told by the Dodge dealer to expect it about once per tankful but this is maybe two or three times per tankful. Nevertheless, my mileage is way above what my particular V10 ever got. Yours is doing exceptionally well in my opinion.
I did over 300 highway miles today and did not see a drop in mileage. So I don't know how often the regens are occurring.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #50
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A little off topic, but I think the general idea is the same. Coming back from Myrtle last Sunday, after I filled up in Wytheville, it took 8.9 gals of diesel to get me to the next fill-up before heading back. Distance travelled = 152 miles. Calculated MPG = 17.07 mpg. THIS IS TRUCK ONLY NOT TOWING, but ir still impressed me for the 6.6 D/A. Driving habits were 75-80 mph (SHHHHH, don't tell DW and I hope she doesn't read this thread) across the southern portion of WV Turnpike, if you have driven it I don't need to explain. The mileage also included an 8 mile backup at the Virginia tunnel clear to Wytheville averaging 5-10 mph. I am beginning to like (maybe even love) this engine. Truck odometer reading at the time 3500 miles (from what I have read not even broke in yet). Color me happy.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As we go East our MPG goes South..From Colorado Springs to Pueblo, Co we did 11.3..From Pueblo to Ogallala, NE om I 80 East 9.0..From Ogallala NE to Omaha, NE 8.7MPG. We are continuing across Iowa tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:14 PM   #52
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

As we go East our MPG goes South..From Colorado Springs to Pueblo, Co we did 11.3..From Pueblo to Ogallala, NE om I 80 East 9.0..From Ogallala NE to Omaha, NE 8.7MPG. We are continuing across Iowa tomorrow.
From COS to Pueblo you are still at a higher altitude, from there to NE you are getting back into the dense air, your mpg will go down.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #53
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

Quote:

From COS to Pueblo you are still at a higher altitude, from there to NE you are getting back into the dense air, your mpg will go down.
Just one more benefit of living in the "Rust Belt"

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes We know that and this proves that it is true. We get much better MPG at higher altitudes. By the time we get back to Ohio Alt 746Ft we will be in the low 8' s towing. The good news is that we spend the winter in the higher altitudes.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We held at 8.6MPG across Iowa and are now in Rock Island, Il KOA altitude 654 feet (GPS) which is just about where this truck lives in Ohio. (746 ft)
Old 07-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we held to 8. 5 MPG across Illinois, Indiana and into our driveway in Ohio. There is no doubt that The gas motor gets better MPG at higher altitudes..we record 2/2.5 better on the average. There is a loss of power at the high altitudes but I would not call it a "significant" loss.I can feel it when towing the 3400 Anchor at about 6K feet and above. I noted on another thread that these V-10's get a bad rap and that 85 maybe 90% of the time they run right with the Diesels. Steep grades High Altitudes... Nope.I would like to have a diesel but If I had to stay with this V-10..that would be OK..
Old 07-16-2007, 06:33 AM   #57
c est la vie

M.O.C. #1727
Quote:

This is NOT a diesel vs Gasser question but I am curious. yes we have the 05 V-10 and we are seriously considering the 6.4l 08 Ford diesel. I posted before that while in the Arizona, Tx, NM this winter we got much better MPG (2 mpg+) someone mentioned it might be the higher altitude or different fuel.. Well here we are in Colorado and we have noted that in SD, WY and Co we are doing much better on MPG. We have been using that different fuel they have around here like the BP silver, Less money, higher octane, ethanol mix. Now this truck normally lives at about 750 feet elevation (Ohio) we have been at 5K feet or higher for the last few days and we can not believe the MPG. At one point across Wy we were doing 11.2 towing this 3400 anchor. On the run from Casper, Wy to Loveland, Co where we are now the handy dandy Pc readout reads as we speak 9.6 mpg and that is not exactly level ground. Does the Diesel react to altitude and different fuel mixture like the gasser apparently does??I have said many times that MPG is the worst primary reason to purchase a motor and that is NOT my primary reason..it is power, power , power.. We do note the loss of power at the higher altitude although we have never to this point had a problem with the hills with the V-10.The diesels have the extra power but we both make the hills within the speed limit. But..I would sure appreciate that extra power. I keep saying to Helen..we are huffing and puffing again and I would sure like the extra power and she keeps saying..so what..we don't need the extra power??? Any expert opinions out there????
c est la vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:48 AM   #58
c est la vie

M.O.C. #1727
Quote:

This is NOT a diesel vs Gasser question but I am curious. yes we have the 05 V-10 and we are seriously considering the 6.4l 08 Ford diesel. I posted before that while in the Arizona, Tx, NM this winter we got much better MPG (2 mpg+) someone mentioned it might be the higher altitude or different fuel.. Well here we are in Colorado and we have noted that in SD, WY and Co we are doing much better on MPG. We have been using that different fuel they have around here like the BP silver, Less money, higher octane, ethanol mix. Now this truck normally lives at about 750 feet elevation (Ohio) we have been at 5K feet or higher for the last few days and we can not believe the MPG. At one point across Wy we were doing 11.2 towing this 3400 anchor. On the run from Casper, Wy to Loveland, Co where we are now the handy dandy Pc readout reads as we speak 9.6 mpg and that is not exactly level ground. Does the Diesel react to altitude and different fuel mixture like the gasser apparently does??I have said many times that MPG is the worst primary reason to purchase a motor and that is NOT my primary reason..it is power, power , power.. We do note the loss of power at the higher altitude although we have never to this point had a problem with the hills with the V-10.The diesels have the extra power but we both make the hills within the speed limit. But..I would sure appreciate that extra power. I keep saying to Helen..we are huffing and puffing again and I would sure like the extra power and she keeps saying..so what..we don't need the extra power??? Any expert opinions out there????
I can't say I,m an expert but I worked 51 years on Caterpillars and for my money its a diesel simply for the longivity there may be many times you will not see much difference in fuel consumption at all between diesel and gas . I have pulled Rv's since 1966 and 2 years ago had to revert back to a trailer due to my wife breaking a hip and she couldnt get around in the fiver anymore due to steps and getting to bathroom We now have a Mountaineer 34 foot trailer which draggs a lot harder than a fiver.I had a 99 Ford F-350 6 speed with 3:73 gears and could manage 11 to 12 mpg about anywhere and never had a question about power Last Year due to my wife not being able to shift any longer I went shopping Found a new Ford well Equipped ans was so interested that I put a deposit on it On the way home I seen a new dodge dealer that just opened 1 month and left there with a dodge Quadcab, Cummins and the works for 3500 dollars less than the Ford 19000 miles later its a great truck definitely better power than the FORD ESPECIALLY AT LOW RPM and on a hill it just doesnt know when to give up Down side of this truck I hate the short bed, and it definitely does not get as good fuel mileage as the Ford did. It will maintain 10.5 at 72 mph which is 2000 rpm and u gotta hit a BIG hill to even slo down 3 mph Hope this inst too long but you asked good luck
c est la vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:16 AM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our last seminar was on the CAT Diesel motor and I am a huge fan of the Cummins but the Dodge truck does not fit our needs besides the new truck is out of the picture for now.